Men SP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men SP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Happy for Yuzuru, but my reaction to that mark was the same as his and Brian Orsers. I couldn't believe it. I also think this mark was too high. It seems like a world record is given away to easily now. The jumps were spot on, but there were some little faults in the programme as well. But I'm really happy and I think if he lands all his jumps it should be enough for the gold.

I was totally shocked by what happened to Machida. Last! That must've been horrible especially after Yuzurus skate. I feel so bad for him. And Kovtun. Nearly crying there it seems. It was a weird competition. And then Patrick Chan. I was also really confused by his performance here. Everyone makes mistakes but they seemed so weird. Regarding his swearing, I think it is ok. He is allowed to do that, imho. He was disappointed. Ever thought that other athletes from non-english-speaking countries maybe swear equally even if you don't understand them? With Chan because it is English everyone knows what he says. I don't think it is a big deal, really. I want him to come back in the LP, but unless Yuzuru bombs i don't think he can win this. I also think that his marks were generous for what he put on the ice.

I was missing Daisuke the whole competition. He could've been a real contender to the title this year, as well. God, I hope his injury is really not getting worse.

emdee

Final Flight
I am vastly entertained by how some of Chan's more dedicated fans seem compelled to:

1. Downplay Yuzuru Hanyu's accomplishments and talent, now that he's a clear threat, and

Congratulations to the new world record holder :)

Talking about downplaying Hanyu I was shocked to see Dai Japanese fans holding huge signs and flags at WCh not even clapping for Hanyu.

Actually we celebrate Hanyu's talents... he is my second best man afterall. So any winning he does even at Chan's expense has a silver lining!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
emdee said:
Talking about downplaying Hanyu I was shocked to see Dai Japanese fans holding huge signs and flags at WCh not even clapping for Hanyu.

Actually we celebrate Hanyu's talents... he is my second best man afterall. So any winning he does even at Chan's expense has a silver lining!

There are a lot of very nice, appreciative Chan fans here regarding Hanyu, no doubt. I think I have a feeling what (or who) Buttercup is talking about though...
And sadly, you're right with the first part. Some Takahashi fans are really dismissive of Hanyu, I guess nationals 2012 has something to do with that (and I could understand the comments about that certain event, I don't understand the overall behaviour).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Yuzu on an absolutely marvelous skated SP ! :bow:

His score WOW!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I don't think he was overscored in any way. Patrick Chan simply has a lot less base difficulty in his programs, and Hanyu skated it great overall(well deserved PCS in my opinion). Even though I really enjoyed Chan's skating in the last GP, I even felt like his PCS was probably a bit overscored in this competition - The program felt really bland and soulless, having a much worse vibe than in TEB.

KKonas

Medalist
Wow! What a great skate from Hanyu. The height on his jumps was amazing and such control. Great score too.
At the boards, Orser nearly jumped as high as Hanyu. Fun to watch Orser's reaction.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
It is Sinterklaas today in the Netherlands (basically the original version of Santa Claus), which means presents, and I must say, Yuzuru Hanyu's performance in the SP was one heck of a present. Wow!

deedee1

Record Breaker
:jaw: to Yuzuru's score!
Sad sad for Tatsuki and Patrick...Hope they come back strong in the Free! :yes:
Gutsy performance from Nobu after the fall. :thumbsup: Would love to see Nobu on the podium finish tomorrow!

Wow what a competition...Was something wrong with the ice condition??? I just have to wonder...Good night, everyone! :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Rarely do I like skaters to keep their programs for a second season but I m so glad Hanyu did, this sp needs to be skated at Olympic Games.

In regards to the skycam, I am actually a little surprised Patrick is the first one to mention it (that I know of)... granted I think it only begun this year in Cup of Japan and now here. The first time I saw footage of it at Cup of Japan whizzing about, I thought: now that's potentially distracting.

(Not making excuses. Just an observation) :)

I'm pretty sure they had one also at 2000 Nations Cup. Also at 1994 Masters Miko, ruining Wylie wonderful performance.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sublime performance by Yuzu! :clap: The elements (save for the final spin) were superbly executed.

The home-cooked PCS of course is laughable (Lipnitskaia at CoR all over again). Both Chan and Hanyu were overscored on PCS, although with Chan's errors, Hanyu's perfect skate, and Japanese ice it's not surprising (or unwarranted) that Hanyu's was higher. Should have been about a 42 and a 43, IMO. Still anyone's game in the FS... Especially when Chan beat Hanyu in the TEB FS by 30 points. Hopefully Hanyu can shake off his FS issues and Chan can bounce back after the SP. Poor Machida, hope he can bounce back... but I prefer Oda over him so I'm hoping Oda medals.

David21

On the Ice
[The home-cooked PCS of course is laughable (Lipnitskaia at CoR all over again). Both Chan and Hanyu were overscored on PCS, although with Chan's errors, Hanyu's perfect skate, and Japanese ice it's not surprising (or unwarranted) that Hanyu's was higher.

I agree that Hanyu was overscored (as was Chan) but with Chan's big mistakes I think it's reasonable that Hanyu got higher PCS than Chan in PE, CH and IN.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree that Hanyu was overscored (as was Chan) but with Chan's big mistakes I think it's reasonable that Hanyu got higher PCS than Chan in PE, CH and IN.

For sure. Hanyu had a much more vivacious performance whereas Chan's mistakes certainly affected the performance.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Just finished watching my recording of the Mens' SP...

...Good recovery by Oda after the mistake on the opening quad, and in the end it left him in the running for a podium place. Well done!

...Disappointing score for Han Yan. It didn't seem that bad, and I loved his delivery of that routine regardless of the points. I have no idea what he's portraying, but it's charming, and IMO his expressiveness has improved greatly this year.

...Kovtun seemed to lose heart after the first couple of mistakes, and unravelled. Shame because I really like that flamenco routine when he's on form, but after a couple of big mistakes, the spell was broken and the magic was gone.

...Hanyu, OMG he was on fire. He was in total command of that performance from the beginning, he's never looked so snappy and sharp. Only that wobble on the final spin let him down - and surely kept him from becoming the first man ever to score over 100? The only clean skate of all the men's SPs. Awesome.

...Machida, ouch. The audience gave that Japanese "eeeeeeeeehhh?!" when the score came up, because it was indeed a nasty surprise. He never gave up, but that doubled quad, and a zero-score "invalid" combination really punished him.

...Chan, another surprise. I wouldn't have expected the sky cam to put off such an experienced skater, but I guess if it's whizzing overhead or in line of sight at just the wrong moment...? (I've always thought they should ban those things - simply because the camera angles from them SUCK... but now this too). Well, I don't expect Chan to take this lying down - I'm fully expecting him to come out with all guns blazing tomorrow, and Hanyu had better be on top form (again)!

Can't wait for tomorrow! I'll be watching live!