That was an amazing event, great performances from all couples.
V/T are rightly in the lead, the way they open with the triple twist catches your attention, this programme has grown on me. S/S can take real confidence from this performance, not to far of the lead and clean for the first time this season, they are closer than I expected. P/T has problems on the jumps (from her this time) but it is a beautiful programme, I still prefer the B/S performance though.
It's hard to believe that a score of 68 and you are still in 6th place, this must be the best skated pairs short ever, hopefully the free will be of the same level.
very good for S/S for ditching the bogus 3A, wise decision
i enjoyed V/T and P/T
I have a soft spot for P/T this season
hope they can sneak in for silver
Incredible event. Very rarely will you see 6 teams skate that wonderfully in the same event. Amazing.
One judge gave -1 to M-T/M for their triple twist. That is the only negative GOE mark out of 378 marks.
Both top teams got level 4 on everything!
This is definitely an event where being last is no shame. Someone has to be.
Originally Posted by 3T3T
Very very happy with the quality of today's performance and the scores.
For the Chinese, PT will be in Sochi. However, it's still a competition between Pang / Zheng and Sui / Han for the remaining place. They are of similar level (maybe a slight edge to Sui & Han) but either pair will be good enough in the top 6 (and I really hate the fact the one of these pairs has to stay at home )
Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie
what an event! I enjoyed every pair but for PCS I believe there should be a 3-4 points gap between the top 3 and the rest.
I reeeeally like M-T/M, so I was dissapointed a little with their score =( I vastly prefer them to D/R! Liked the last 3 pairs. I think it's a good and wise decision for S/S to drop the 3a element from their program. In this case they will catch up V/T.
One does not simply skate into Sochi
Really happy with this event and the standings are correct, imho. V/T have the best short and I'm glad that S/S delivered. Without the distracting 3TA their short ends in a beautiful romantic way, I have to agree with the Eurosport commentors though, I like the ball-theme from V/T more. The LP is a different story though.
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS (By Starting Order)
1. Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN) Short Program
2. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) Short Program
3. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) Short Program
4. Qing PANG / Jian TONG (CHN) Short Program
5. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) Short Program
6. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) Short Program
Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols
Everyone is doing so well!! Seems like skaters really loves skating in Japan!
"Hold an edge and look sexy!"
WOW at S/S coming SO CLOSE to V/T technically! This should have been the strategy of the Germans all along this season to go out consistently clean with the technical content you know you can do and continue to improve on the quality of those elements and perhaps they wouldn't have lost so much ground to the Russians. S/S even beat V/T on several elements in GOE quality. This sets up the unlikely, but possible scenario that if V/T have an unexpected mistake or two, then the Germans can come in with elements they are comfortable on and try to skate them as cleanly and good as they possibly can, and maybe pull off an upset.
Also, P/T continue to present a consistent challenge and roadblock to the medal hopes of D/R. The Chinese have really surprised this season.
Woohoo thanks for the vids Mao88!
I am so happy that S/S did so well. Their throw jumps don't have the wow factor that V/T have though. They pretty much are behind solely based on PCS (and the time violation-ugh).
Everyone did really well, it makes a competition that much better.
I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!!
Originally Posted by Mrs. P
Great to have spotted that
What an amazing competiton indeed!
- Pang DID a clean triple toe, the B Esp commentator got it wrong. They even got + 0.70 GOE for it. As he noted, the sync looked off on the takeoff, but the landings were almost perfectly in sync: She just spends so little time in the air, so he needs to "take a jump start" so they finish at the same time! I think only Vera Bazarova from the top pairs jumps even lower. Still, great to see them back in shape again - they've grown on me over the years, their choreo is just so intricate - should have gotten higher PCS imo.
- The biggest advantage for Savchenko/Szolkowy having the Flip instead of the throw Axel is the choreography: Obviously, it also helps to have a great 3F instead of some mistake on the Axel; and it's less likely for her to sustain an injury from it like we saw at CoR; but the biggest difference to me is that we got rid of that awkward 4 seconds before the 3Axel where they move in slow motion and leave any choreography and interpretation behind. In their first years, their transitions in and out of elements were what set them apart imo, and that's something that they lost a bit in recent years.
Their free to Nutcracker as well as this short seem focused on "increasing the chances to have clean elements" by having a simple/slow choreo with nothing too distracting. It's a mile away from their brilliant free to "Pina". I'd so wish they'd go back to that programme! Then, they could get as high PCS as V/T again! With this choreo to Nutcracker, there's no chance of that happening, and rightfully so.
- S/S got -1 for a time violation... weird. They ended within the music, at the same time as they did in TEB and CoR (I was curious and took a look) - where they didn't get that penalty.
I'm so glad to see all the pairs doing so well...and so competetive...as I said before, pairs is really shaping up to be uber exciting for the Olympics.