Adelina Sotnikova: "I am looking forward to compete in Fukuoka" | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova: "I am looking forward to compete in Fukuoka"

pingu

Rinkside
Adelina Sotnikova: "I am looking forward to compete in Fukuoka"

I hope it's ok to create a new thread for an interview...anyway, at Trophée Bompard I interviewed Adelina Sotnikova. She was SO happy because she had just qualified for the Grand Prix Final :)

This is the link to the interview...good luck to Adelina and all the athletes competing in Fukuoka!!

Laura

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
iza (Tuktamisheva) and I are in the pressure since 2009, since we became the hopefuls for Sochi. We feel that we absolutely must get there. Now there are new and old girls: Julia (Lipnitskaya), Anna (Pogorilaya), Alyona (Leonova) they can qualify for Sochi but I will not let them take my spot!!!

She sounds determined!

Barb

Record Breaker
I hope it's ok to create a new thread for an interview...anyway, at Trophée Bompard I interviewed Adelina Sotnikova. She was SO happy because she had just qualified for the Grand Prix Final :)

This is the link to the interview...good luck to Adelina and all the athletes competing in Fukuoka!!

Laura

good interview :clap:, russian people seem always very honest and direct in interviews

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She skated a smart SP today to come in 2nd. The 3T-3T is something she can get solid +GOE on and much more likely to complete rotation with than the 3Z-3R. I think scoring so high for her TEB LP which was easier but clean made her realize that she doesn't have to go for too much. Here, if you add the value of a 2A to Anna's BV, Adelina actually had the lowest BV of all 6 skaters but ended up with the highest TES, which I hope she notices.

elif

Medalist
She skated a smart SP today to come in 2nd. The 3T-3T is something she can get solid +GOE on and much more likely to complete rotation with than the 3Z-3R. I think scoring so high for her TEB LP which was easier but clean made her realize that she doesn't have to go for too much. Here, if you add the value of a 2A to Anna's BV, Adelina actually had the lowest BV of all 6 skaters but ended up with the highest TES, which I hope she notices.

I think she should do 2A+3T+2T instead of 3lutz+2T at free too. Maybe she don't have enough time for GPF but she can do that at the nationals.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

You have to start wondering if Mao should take that same new approach when she faces Kim later this season. She continues to strive for murderously hard programs with both 3 axels and 3-3 combos and never skate them cleanly. Perhaps quality over quantity is her best chance when she faces Kim later in the season. She will not get away with < and -GOE on all her triple axel tries vs Kim the way she is while she is away.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sotnikova is scaling back her tech ala Kostner in 2011
so far, its working for her 3T-3T but the question is her FS

Sotnikova is still a headcase with FS as her nemesis
as well as her 50/50 Flips, an jumping pass combos for Flips is a big mistake

CarneAsada

Medalist
It's good to see Adelina doing well. If she can skate a clean FS tomorrow I think she'll easily beat even Julia.
You have to start wondering if Mao should take that same new approach when she faces Kim later this season. She continues to strive for murderously hard programs with both 3 axels and 3-3 combos and never skate them cleanly. Perhaps quality over quantity is her best chance when she faces Kim later in the season. She will not get away with < and -GOE on all her triple axel tries vs Kim the way she is while she is away.
She's said that she will go for 2 triple Axels and if she pops one, her third pass will be a 3F-3Lo; I think she's lost her mind. Of course she can do what she wants but this "plan" just sounds silly/utterly unreachable from the start. Either she wants to go completely prepared or she is just as aware that she's not likely to get everything done.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She's said that she will go for 2 triple Axels and if she pops one, her third pass will be a 3F-3Lo; I think she's lost her mind.

That sounds like a terrible idea. Missing a big jump only puts more pressure on her to land something (3F-3Lo) that she hasn't done well in over 5 years.

TryMeLater

On the Ice

It's really funny you wrote this, as some posters wrote on the 2013 COR board that the judges were actually saying to Kostner she has to up her 3T-3T to a
3F-3T in order to stay in contention.

elif

Medalist
It's really funny you wrote this, as some posters wrote on the 2013 COR board that the judges were actually saying to Kostner she has to up her 3T-3T to a

This could be good idea for Kostner. Her spins are weaker than Sotnikova. Sotnikova's jumps are getting more GOE too. This is why she can get more TES than any other lady in the Final (even Wagner and Radionova who skated clean) with only 3T+3T.

Robeye

Final Flight
Different levels of ambition should apply. I like Adelina a lot, but her primary need at this point is more consistency just to stay in contention for an Oly spot. If she stays with watered down elements at Sochi itself, I don't think her podium chances will be that good.

Caro, on the other hand, is going to Sochi, no ifs, ands, or buts, and furthermore, she should be going as one of the leading contenders, with programs that strike fear into the hearts of many a skater. Not being able to make GPF even while doing a diluted layout is the worst possible combination, IMHO. Maybe there are injuries or issues I don't know about. I'm just talking about the perceptions, on the part of both competitors and judges.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Given how poorly Carolina has skated in previous Olympics, I think her strategy should be to go with a layout that maximizes her chance of being clean. A SP with 3T-3T and 3R, and a 6 triple LP will have her on the podium. No layout will put her ahead of Yuna if the South Korean is clean. Carolina could completely meltdown if she goes for two much and makes multiple errors.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
yeah for what ? Sotnikova is 17, Julia is 15 and no way does Julia skate like a child
if you want a child skating look at the prepubescent Radionova

Radionova projects so much better to the audience than Julia. In a year Elena will crush Julia in PCS.

LRK

Record Breaker
Besides, what has Elena to do in a discussion about the relative PCS of Adelina and Julia? :scratch: I mean, even if Elena skated like a 7 year-old (which she does not), it does not affect Adelina's being more mature than Julia.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Upgrading 3T-3T to 3F-3T is far easier than upgrading the 3T-3T to 3Lutz-3Loop. One is a slight bump to a 3-3 that is mid-level in difficulty while the other is upgrading straight from the easiest 3-3 to by far the hardest of the lot (with the exception of 3A-3 combos). Kostner has landed her more difficult 3-3 while Adelina has had all her attempts this season called '<' (or << on worse landings) whether deserved or not.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Given how poorly Carolina has skated in previous Olympics, I think her strategy should be to go with a layout that maximizes her chance of being clean. A SP with 3T-3T and 3R, and a 6 triple LP will have her on the podium. No layout will put her ahead of Yuna if the South Korean is clean. Carolina could completely meltdown if she goes for two much and makes multiple errors.

I agree her best strategy at this point is to try and skate cleanly. I am wondering if Mao should adopt the same strategy although unlike Carolina she is atleast capable of attempting a jump layout that gives her a great shot to beat even a clean Kim if she could ever do it cleanly, although struggling to ever hit cleanly even with an easier layout (atleast the LP) I am not sure if that is a smart route for her to go anymore. I guess we will see how she does in the LP here. She is likely winning this event whatever she does, but if she cant improve atleast a bit on her NHK performance she has to think about her Olympics strategy some.