Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Diva Wagner has fire in her soul. Only a medal will do for her.

What are the various reasons there is a decline in popularity of skating?

No money for pro comps, no tours, the old faves getting older, retirement of Kwan, Cohen, Slutskaya who fought for years. Money and an illiterate populace that does not appreciate ballet, ice skating. Boomers are getting old. They went through all the past times, and money is in the hands of a few 90's skaters who don't do much to promote FS. They are belatedly raising kids. And IJS is understood by ubers on a few skating boards. The sun sets in Asia. That is the future, though they will suffer same decline as us eventually.

And Evan did not keep competing. But it is possible Grace Gold will have her day in the sun for a quad if she gets it together. Otherwise, just a sport for rich kids with much time. I don't think it will ever be like the 90's unless some Irish beauty gets whacked by the girl from "wrong place." It was a fluke. It is back to being small, insular and for wealthy kids.

Hey, you guys have the same avatar. One of you could change it to this:

http://www.biography.com/imported/im...4113-1-402.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Money and an illiterate populace that does not appreciate ballet, ice skating.
    What.

I don't think illiteracy (or education, or financial bracket for that matter) has anything to do with what sport you enjoy watching.

During the 90s there was no end in sight for figure skating.

#TeamAUS
    What will help are new fresh faces with new creative ideas. Something uas to change as the current format of competition is not working as effectively as it should be.

Tripping on the Podium
    I know the new scoring format has been a turnoff for me. I hate it. I understand the reasons behind it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

In the US, paltry coverage of GP events by NBC (including very little/almost no pairs/dance coverage). How can we create "buzz" if the skaters aren't given proper/sufficient exposure on TV?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    What will help are new fresh faces with new creative ideas. Something uas to change as the current format of competition is not working as effectively as it should be.
    I agree fresh faces would help, but we need a couple of competitive girls. Most of the USA girls are too scared. They don't have that fire in the belly, they may want the medal and titles, but don't have the drive to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    In the US, paltry coverage of GP events by NBC (including very little/almost no pairs/dance coverage). How can we create "buzz" if the skaters aren't given proper/sufficient exposure on TV?

Hmmm....maybe they need a sad background story so NBC has material for a low light montage......"and then Meryl's house was blown away by the tornado, leaving her injured and homeless"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundtracksOnIce View Post
    I know the new scoring format has been a turnoff for me. I hate it. I understand the reasons behind it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
    It has also made the programs less enjoyable to watch for me. I'd rather see a good spiral that accents a moment in the music than a 40 second footwork sequence.

Custom Title
    Until this season, I thought Ashley had a small outside shot at a medal. After her results this season, I consider her a strong candidate for bronze along with Julia.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    What are the various reasons there is a decline in popularity of skating?
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    I give NBC a little credit for including no fewer than three bits of Davis/White footage in the Today show pre-Sochi promo that has been airing in recent weeks. (The rest of the promo shows athletes from other sports, with the exception of one shot of Lysacek.)

Regarding "buzz:"

I have long been wondering how/why Lindsey Vonn seems to have transcended her own niche sport and seems to be deemed worthy of ongoing mainstream attention.
    NBC (which has a self-interest in promoting the Olympics, of course) is a prime example of excessive (IMHO) Vonn coverage, but I do not think that NBC is alone.

I understand why Vonn is a longtime superstar to those who follow skiing. But I do not understand why the media treat her as if she has captured the imagination of the public at large. (She has not captured mine.)

(The media already were fascinated with Vonn back in 2010, so I don't think that her more recent romance with Tiger Woods is to blame. And in a roomful of attractive Olympians, Vonn's looks would not jump out at me as unusually pleasing.)

Beats me about Vonn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast