Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Diva Wagner has fire in her soul. Only a medal will do for her.

Custom Title
    Because Vonn is champion and has been dominating her sport for over 5 years now.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Because Vonn is champion and has been dominating her sport for over 5 years now.
    By your logic, Davis/White should be well on their way to becoming household names among Americans who have zero interest in skating. But that is not the reality, through no fault of D/W's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I think skiers also have a edgier, x-games type vibe about them (like Bode Miller, etc) so if you're good at a cool sport you get media attention.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think skiers also have a edgier, x-games type vibe about them (like Bode Miller, etc) so if you're good at a cool sport you get media attention.
    And a part in the Sports Illustrated bikini edition. Just sayin'.

And she doesn't compete in a "team."

Custom Title
    D/W don't have the appeal of Vonn. Even Vonn post Olympics is nobody.

Let's get real. There is a pecking order and skating is like that ******** glee club now. Nobody likes it anymore except the few fans who were converted in the golden days.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    D/W don't have the appeal of Vonn. Even Vonn post Olympics is nobody.

Let's get real. There is a pecking order and skating is like that ******** glee club now. Nobody likes it anymore except the few fans who were converted in the golden days.
    You have to remember that ice dance is still fairly new for Americans. And, candidly, for most of the time it's been around, it was very tough to take seriously as a sport, it seemed so subjectively judged, and mired (vastly more than the other disciplines) in politics. I think D/W will be considered real pioneers in the U.S. years from now, but until then, they won't get the respect they fully deserve.

I like Ashley, and I actually think her consistency the past few years *nearly* puts her on a par with Carolina for odds for the bronze in Sochi. But it's ludicrous to say that the sport needs vast U.S. interest. Tell that to the large, rapacious fans and athletes in Japan, or in China, where the sport continues to boom. The U.S. losing interest in figure skating hurts the USFSA, and its own athletes. But it's naive to think that its of the global importance the way it used to be.

Custom Title
    I don't know what came first, the decline in interest in the sport in the US or the decline in television coverage! Throw in the fact that there used to be 2 touring show groups every year and now there is 1 and it doesn't cover much of the country. How are people going to be interested when they can only see it in dribs and drabs.

I dont' see Ashley as a contender for the bronze unless she has the skate of her life. I was very disappointed in her performance at he GPF even though she tried to put some positive spin on it.

Custom Title
    Maybe part of it is that she isn't a dainty ice princess, so brands that would be a natural fit for figure skating might be a bit turned off that she is opinionated and less artistic that some of the beloved past champions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3