Ice Dance Brits want top 8 in Sochi | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Brits want top 8 in Sochi

GF2445

Record Breaker
"British ice dancers Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland have set their sights on a top-eight finish at Sochi 2014 after this week's British Championships..."

What are your thoughts? For me, a top 8 is a big stretch- maybe a top 10 finish if they work at it. In saying that they usually peak in February as they always seem to do really well at Europeans.

Article Written by Ollie Williams for BBC Sports
Published on November 30, 2013

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/25172206

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Well, let's count the dancers that barring withdrawal or massive errors, will likely be in front of them, in no particular order: Davis/White, Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, Pechalat/Bourzat, Bobrova/Soloviev, Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Capellini/Lanotte, That's 7 teams. Then on a given day, they might be able to get past at least some of Zhiganshina/Gaszi, USA #2 and #3, Canada #3, Russia #3 (5 more teams) but unlikely to get past all of them. So I'd agree that top 8 is a big stretch but not completely out of the question....but I think they will have to depend on having Skates of Their Lives AND ALSO mistakes from multiple teams of those in that second group of 5. I see no downside for them in setting Top 8 as their goal and working like mad to achieve, and skating clean and to the limits of their abilities. If they can do that regardless of final placement, I'd put that in the Success column.

If they can stay in the top 5 at Europeans (matching their placement last year) and with a personal best score, that would be a big credibility boost for them going into the Olympics.