Music/Artists you learned about from skaters? | Golden Skate

Music/Artists you learned about from skaters?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, so obviously a lot of skaters like skating to the warhorses, but every so often you come across a program with music by a band or artist you never heard of.

So, tell me about music you come to love that you heard first from a skater's program?

I had mentioned that Jason Brown's 2011-2012 SP is one of my absolute favorites. A big reason for this is because the music is awesome. The song is called "Grand Guignol" and is by a band called Bajofondo (formerly Bajofondo Tango Club), a collective of musicians from Argentina and Uruguay whose music is described as a mix of tango and electronic music, or Electrotango (though the band states they don't like that description.) Here is the band playing "Grand Guignol" live. The band also got to play at South by Southwest earlier this year.
South by Southwest, for those not in the states, is a huge music festival in Austin, Texas where new and emerging bands come and play.

One of my favorite new teams in senior Ice Dance is Papadakis and Cizeron. And I absolutely love their FD. The music is by an artist named Woodkid (real name: Yoann Lemoine) He is also a music video director and graphic designer (he directed Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" MV) The FD includes "Iron"and "Run Boy Run"

There are others, but those two are top of mind.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot of movie soundtracks, including some from movies we haven't seen. Thank you, Todd, Elvis, Paul , etc.!

Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves
Dragon
First Knight
Swing Kids
Gettysburg
Independence Day
Lord of the Rings
Little Women
Sense & Sensibility
The Mission
Gladiator
1492 (haven't seen the movie, but :love: the soundtrack to pieces)
Jurassic Park :)love: practically everything from John Williams)
Legends of the Fall
Forrest Gump (the score is gorgeous)

... and there are plenty more!

I think of three pieces especially. Note that the video links of the first two are just the pieces of music, but the third shows the skater in performance.

Rosalynn Sumners skated to Bette Midler's "The Rose," introducing me to the song. (Written by Amanda McBroom; both the music and the lyrics are lovely.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxSTzSEiZ2c

In one of his shows, Brian Boitano skated to an orchestral arrangement Aaron Copland piece (based on a traditional hymn) that has since become one of my favorites, "The Promise of Living" from the opera The Tender Land. Glorious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLVyRvp2Qbg

Sasha Cohen's 2002 short program was to the Sentimental Waltz. Interesting, just modern enough to be odd but melodic, not dissonant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFgUimK4OEg

heyang

Record Breaker
Just had to mention that I was at my cousin's home for dinner one night and she had a CD of assorted classical music playing. I had to comment that the title of the CD should've been 'Figure Skating classics'.

I'd have to say the soundtrack to The Mission would've likely been undiscovered if not for my watching figure skating.

The William Alwyn harp concerto "Lyra Angelica."

Yes, indeed! I'm pretty familiar with a lot of classical music--in fact, it's probably one of the main reasons I love skating--but I had not heard of either the piece or the composer until Michelle, Lori Nichol, and Frank Carroll brought it to us.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The Double Life of Veronique, from DomShabs' Olympic season FD (at least something good came out of it!), The Organ Donor that P/B used in their 2007-8 FD, there was the music from Blanc/Bouqet's folk OD in 2009-10, Concerto de Quebec, some Rodrigo y Gabriela stuff (e.g. in this Yannick Ponsero SP), the Red Poppy - normally people just use Russian Sailor Dance, but there's a lot more to it than that. I also thought the music Kavaguti/Smirnov used last season was beautiful - February by Leonid Levashkevich.

There are also some movie score composers that I was only vaguely aware of, like John Barry and Ennio Morricone, and whose work I became more familiar with by watching skating.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Skaters are definitely the reason I got into soundtracks, mostly because of reading several skating books like Edge Of Glory (that's the one about the 1998 Olympics, right?) & Sandra Bezic's creation of Boitano's Napoleon program. Now I'm completely addicted and thanks to looking at skating music, I've checked out soundtracks I never would have looked at, since most of the movies aren't my taste. I love John Williams too but my best favorite composer is Hans Zimmer.

The one I owe Todd for is Gettysburg. WOW!

What really makes my day is when I find a soundtrack first and then realize a skater used it. Todd and LOTR, 1492 and anybody really (I found the CD at the library), etc. And of course, ever since I got hooked on Les Miserables three years ago. I'm still waiting for a program to "Do You Hear The People Sing" though. Everyone I've seen only uses it for fifteen seconds or so at the end of a routine. Is there any program out there that's used it for at least a minute?

Also, has anyone used the Chronicles of Narnia film soundtracks?

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Oh, and how can I forget being determined to track down Verdi's Requiem after hearing the story behind the Gordeeva & Grinkov program in Beverly Smith's book? I think my family still hate me for it. I made my aunt and grandmother sit through the whole thing on a four hour car ride - now all you have to do is say Requiem around my aunt and she just about has a fit. I joke I'm going to buy her the CD or put it on her Ipod every so often, just to harass her:)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm still waiting for a program to "Do You Hear The People Sing" though. Everyone I've seen only uses it for fifteen seconds or so at the end of a routine. Is there any program out there that's used it for at least a minute?

I haven't counted the seconds, but Todd's 1998 Olympic/Worlds/GWG sp "Les Mis" medley incorporates "Do You Hear the People Sing?" in it. In the 2001-2002 season, he was originally going to skate his LP to music from the HBO series "Band of Brothers," which I bought & was glad I did. Then he changed his mind (before we saw a program to it), and decided to use LOTR. When I heard that, I bought the soundtrack before seeing the movie. No regrets in either case! I :love: so many movie soundtracks!!!!