Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

Kalina

On the Ice
People do not know, at least on this site, that Patrick spent more than four weeks to a month, in Japan, during late summer of 2012, working out with the Japanese men's elite group.

I'm sorry, but I find this hard to believe. Proof, please.

tung

Rinkside
I'm sorry, but I find this hard to believe. Proof, please.

Pictures of Patrick with the Japanese team were circulated on web site, FSU, which I visited last year.
This was after his Korean show at Seoul, and after his vacation in Singapore etc. with relatives, and on his way back to Canada.

I was surprised at the time, with his long duration stay with the Japanese team too. It did not mean anything then.
But looking back, with the vast improvement of the Japanese men, since then, his visit and stay with them helps lots, to bring them up to par with his skill level, catching up, and improving, thus exceeding the level Patrick possesses at the moment.

jaylee

Medalist
Pictures of Patrick with the Japanese team were circulated on web site, FSU, which I visited last year.
This was after his Korean show at Seoul, and after his vacation in Singapore etc. with relatives, and on his way back to Canada.

I was surprised at the time, with his long duration stay with the Japanese team too. It did not mean anything then.
But looking back, with the vast improvement of the Japanese men, since then, his visit and stay with them helps lots, to bring them up to par with his skill level, catching up, and improving, thus exceeding the level Patrick possesses at the moment.

I don't have any idea about the rest of your story, but none of the Japanese men have exceeded the level of skating skills that Patrick has at the moment.

tung

Rinkside
I don't have any idea about the rest of your story, but none of the Japanese men have exceeded the level of skating skills that Patrick has at the moment.

GPF FS resulted in both getting over the centennial mark, but even with Hanyu falling in the quad, he got a couple of points better than Patrick from the judges. To me, that means both are at par with their excellent best, personal best, but with Hanyu getting better marks from the judges, overall.
Patrick may be better, must be better, at some sectors of the ISU marking system, but overall, he was beaten by the Japanese skater.
In the after competition show, Patrick's performance again shows his excellence, I saw him in high definition TV, here in Mainland China; and his expression of gratitude, to the local crowd, afterwards, in the closepup shot, tells people of the appreciable respect he has for the Japanese fans and skating in Fukuoku.

He had mentioned previously the main competitor to him would come from the Japanese skaters.

Don't forget, Patrick stopped over at Japan, after flying over from Canada, in the start of his Asian tour, in 2012 April, after winning his second GPF, by the skin of his teeth, in southern France, the eventual extended stay there a month later, was a second visit to Japan, within a couple of months.

wallylutz

Medalist
Chan was also invited to skate at the 2012 Japanese Nationals as a guest in the exhibition. I cannot recall any other non-Japanese man been given the same honor since men's skating became cash cow for JSF.

mskater93

Record Breaker
That's admirable of Chan.

Let's out take that video out of context. Chan obviously was responding a question which "questioned" his aspiration of the Olympic gold medal and he was a bit exasperated. This is something he threw back to the interviewer rather than a dig at Hanyu. Of course he could be more careful with his words nut no need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

This isn't his first rodeo, though, so he should already KNOW to be more careful with his words. Doesn't Skate Canada do some kind of media training? It's disappointing that he would say something that, yet again, makes him look arrogant or like a whiner/crybaby. He should be very well aware of the fact that what he says can reflect poorly on him as it's blown up on him multiple times already.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This isn't his first rodeo, though, so he should already KNOW to be more careful with his words. Doesn't Skate Canada do some kind of media training? It's disappointing that he would say something that, yet again, makes him look arrogant or like a whiner/crybaby. He should be very well aware of the fact that what he says can reflect poorly on him as it's blown up on him multiple times already.

Well it probably hasn't really blown up. He said it during NBC's GPF coverage which was likely not watched by a lot of people. :slink:

I'll be honest I was switching between GPF and the blizzard-filled Eagles/Lions game. :p

tung

Rinkside
Chan was also invited to skate at the 2012 Japanese Nationals as a guest in the exhibition. I cannot recall any other non-Japanese man been given the same honor since men's skating became cash cow for JSF.

Maybe Skate Canada, who boasts in its website, that it is the skating power of the world, with over 6800 registered figure skating coaches, is receiving royalty payments for their star, Patrick Chan's performance/training/expose......to the Japanese skaters.

If they, Skate Canada, wilfully or accidentally miscalculate their star performer's chance of winning the Olympic gold in Russia, in February, they will be blamed for losing their best chance of getting a Men's Figure Skating Gold, commiserate with their 'GLOBALS SKATING POWER' billboard boast to the skating fratenity all over the world.

All Canada's best men skaters won their World Championshlips like eating pizza or donuts, Jackson, Browning, Stojko, and now Patrick Chan, but none of them before Chan get their fingers on the Olympic Gold, and Patrick Chan will continue this tradition, or jinx, if his assistance to his closest competitor bear solid fruit, to displace him as the best men skater in coming February.

pitterpatter

On the Ice

I think Lambiel was invited to skate at the exhibition last year. (Someone correct me if i'm wrong)

emdee

Final Flight
Maybe Skate Canada, who boasts in its website, that it is the skating power of the world, with over 6800 registered figure skating coaches, is receiving royalty payments for their star, Patrick Chan's performance/training/expose......to the Japanese skaters.

If they, Skate Canada, wilfully or accidentally miscalculate their star performer's chance of winning the Olympic gold in Russia, in February, they will be blamed for losing their best chance of getting a Men's Figure Skating Gold, commiserate with their 'GLOBALS SKATING POWER' billboard boast to the skating fratenity all over the world.

All Canada's best men skaters won their World Championshlips like eating pizza or donuts, Jackson, Browning, Stojko, and now Patrick Chan, but none of them before Chan get their fingers on the Olympic Gold, and Patrick Chan will continue this tradition, or jinx, if his assistance to his closest competitor bear solid fruit, to displace him as the best men skater in coming February.

Sorry to say Tung but you are out to lunch....

Kalina

On the Ice
Well it probably hasn't really blown up. He said it during NBC's GPF coverage which was likely not watched by a lot of people. :slink:

I'll be honest I was switching between GPF and the blizzard-filled Eagles/Lions game. :p

It was actually aired first by CBC (there's a video on youtube), then NBC. I agree though that it hasn't (and probably won't) blow up.

I'm still puzzled as to who exactly trained with Chan in Japan for a whole month (a month, really) in the summer of 2012... When he wasn't busy with shows Hanyu was training in Canada, and he didn't take part in JSF summer camp, so there's one Japanese man who wasn't there. Who else?

tung

Rinkside
Sorry to say Tung but you are out to lunch....

I may not be in NAmerica, but it is definitely better to watch Figure Skating and keep up, with the scenario, in mainland China, as the Chinese have a national system, whom nobody can slight or neglect/despise? especially in the Pairs program. Although the system is full of holes, and with lots of bench strength problems, with it built in elitist make-up, with no or appreciable mass back up skating(serious) population backup, like the western nations do. Nor is China available with traditional talent, like Russia, whose top coaches is oversupplied and moved en masse to the US for the appreciating US dollar incomes there. But China, as I talk with the former national team members, are not behind globally with the jumpspin technic, as some of them are known widely for achieving, first overall, the men's quad jump, several years ago. According to them, Chinese figure skating sucks in choreography and artistry, their skatings style are stiff as boards, and not variable and artistic enough to get high marks from the western judges.

But he New Junior Men Single Champion 2013, JinBoYang, is breaking through the above typecasting, as the kid, I was told, could do a single front Axel, when he was threeyears old. And his performance, in last month's Japanese hosted GPF, wearing a white T shirt, and jeans, looked like a copy of Patrick, performing in ShenZhen 2012. And YanHan, when interviewed by Chinese media, admitted that Patrick is his favorite skater, his idol, and he felt specially honored to have skated with him, as a tour teamate, in the annual Avon/Seca show tour in Asia/China, 2012 where they, with Kurt Browning, Weir, and the German Gold Medal Pair, skated in full house showings in Taipei, GuangZhou, Shanghai, and then Beijing. And the, YanHan, wouldn't mind coming dead last in the upcoming GPF. Well, he got his wish come true, 4th in SP and deadlast after the FS!

Compared to HongKong SAR, with their rinks chock full of skaters,and the serious skaters are left with no ice coverage, to train seriously nor qualified coaches to speak of, (the best serious skaters have all but moved out to US or elsewhere for their future training and development), mainland China still has the retired national team members to teach their upper middle class family skating younger generations, and some of them do achieve triples and easy double double jump spins.

About Patrick's training stay in Japan, late summer 2012, the period was a few weeks, and with pictures of them, with Patrick's copyright smile amongst the Japanese skaters. May not be a full month, so don't shoot me for the time span, if incorrect, but it was extended enough to warrant a special posting on the website, FSU, the traditional Patrick fan club turf, where anyone not agreeing completely, and said something averse, invite mass attack from the irate fans.

tung

Rinkside
Steve Lambiel was one of the skaters in the Avon/Seca tour this year, with Patrick, YanHan and others.

One other thing that skating fans do not realize is that Patrick in formers years, up to even after his second GPF win in 2012, did return to Canada, and have been fund-raising amongst communities, Chinese Canadian communities, in fund raising dinners, for so many dollars a plate, etc. for years. With obvious usage for those fund raised monies, to continue the highly paid coaching staff, to maintain his high leve of performance. He was reported to have four separate coaching team in Colorado Springs, before he settled on Kathy Johnson, Skate Canada's contribution doesn't mean anything for his parents, and his dad has to work in Ontario Government, to keep up with his son's skating, and Patrick told reporters that he felt indebted to his parents, for their edurance of hardship, to support his skating career.

emdee

Final Flight
Steve Lambiel was one of the skaters in the Avon/Seca tour this year, with Patrick, YanHan and others.

One other thing that skating fans do not realize is that Patrick in formers years, up to even after his second GPF win in 2012, did return to Canada, and have been fund-raising amongst communities, Chinese Canadian communities, in fund raising dinners, for so many dollars a plate, etc. for years. With obvious usage for those fund raised monies, to continue the highly paid coaching staff, to maintain his high leve of performance. He was reported to have four separate coaching team in Colorado Springs, before he settled on Kathy Johnson, Skate Canada's contribution doesn't mean anything for his parents, and his dad has to work in Ontario Government, to keep up with his son's skating, and Patrick told reporters that he felt indebted to his parents, for their edurance of hardship, to support his skating career.
The fund raising dinners are well documented as also his support from the Canadian Chinese community. Fund raising dinners are common for politicians and charities so nothing unique there.
Working as a lawyer in the government is a very lucrative position with great pension and no hardship at all as you make out!

Sorry still think you are out to lunch and it's not because you live in China but because of your outlandish views and presuppositions!

tung

Rinkside
The fund raising dinners are well documented as also his support from the Canadian Chinese community. Fund raising dinners are common for politicians and charities so nothing unique there.
Working as a lawyer in the government is a very lucrative position with great pension and no hardship at all as you make out!

Sorry still think you are out to lunch and it's not because you live in China but because of your outlandish views and presuppositions!

Its about time you hear and get some views other than the typical typecast NAmerican, western viewpoints.
I am proud of the cross culture tradition, which is a representation of the Multiculturalism of Canadian official position, whether some mainstream media sectors oppose it, and some rednecks in Canada opposes it intensely, it doesn't matter. I have lived in the country for over 30 years, and spent my university years, and working career in the country. But at the same time, I contributed to other parts of the world, with my profession.

Patrick Chan's family is a cross culture product, too. He speaks English, French, Cantonese, and a bit of Mandarin.

And as to Patrick's dad career, he was a Master degree holder in Mathematics from Ottawa U,( extremely intelligent to be a mathematician, I think), then before taking on his PhD, got talked out of it by his smart wife to get into law school. When graduated from law, he started his own private practice, and helped a lot of newly landed Chinese immigrants, with their problems in the new land they lived in, with consequence that most of them welch on their professional fees due, which got him into debts, closed shop and went over to HongKong to size up job/career situations, found that the tight urban environment couldn't suit him, until he finally landed a job in the Ontario AG office. So all in all, Patrick's family wasn't rich and had to struggle to make ends meet. This is unlike the mainstream landed gentry society that most N American figure skating talents come from.

But getting back to skating, just saw the spectacular post competition exhibition, 2nd installment, on Central Chinese Television, CCTV for short (figure skating is not available from any HongKong exiting network, and can only rely on the flaky internets). In this final installment, the 1st place finishers in the GPF showed their skills and talents. Yuzuru Hanyu is unbelievably smooth and perfect, even in this exhibition skate, 2 quads and fantastic techniques, PE, etc., with his inventive trailing leg slide in his encore.......Sorry to say it, but the youngster, slim and agile, has surpassed the best Patrick can come up with, unless Patrick has another miracle up his sleeve, which he will unleash in the upcoming four continents meet, or later right in Sochii, in February, bring himself up another notch of excellence and inventiveness. He is disadvantaged with a non-skater coach, hopefully he can canvass other professional helps to bring himself up to another level to match his Japanese competitors.Mao Asada was equally confident and excellent, with her Rachmaninov music short piece capping off a three appearance show......