Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 235

Thread: Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

  1. #151
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Me too. But at one point, I was thinking, "Nobu had his turn in 2010, so if he misses up, I hope Tatsuki gets the spot because he has proven to be worthy competitor". But Nobu did really well yesterday, and I think he deserves to be on the Olympic Team if he keeps it up :D
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm just so thrilled that Nobu medalled!!! I so want him to also do well at Japanese Nationals & make the Olympic team.
    I'm absolutely thrilled. I really enjoyed his programs this season, especially his SP, and really want him to be on the Olympic Team.

    I'm sort of torn because I do like Machida also, but I'm feeling sentimental toward Nobu and love the fact he is making such a great comeback after a some injury struggles in the last two years.

  2. #152
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Hey Shayuki you do know we aren't sure whose performance is easier. Techically Hanyu might be more difficult but skating skilsl and all and transitions Chan is far more difficult and his ss are far superior to Hanyu.
    Just the technical aspects.

    I don't know about that, the transition to especially Hanyus second axel was pretty slick.

  3. #153
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Hanyu would've still won even w/o the boost in PCs. I have to rewatch the performance to comment, but I know he skated his heart out infront of a home crowd and that is very admirable

  4. #154
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,052
    Just finished watching the men's competition. WOW again for Yuzu he certainly delivered the 1-2 punch at this competition.
    He is an amazing athlete. A big Congrats to him!

    Patrick was so happy in the K&C, nice to see. His LP is really wonderful and he skated with a lot of heart.

    I am doing my happy dance for Oda!

    Good recovery for Machida but his low score in the SP really put him at a disadvantage for a medal.

  5. #155
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,887
    Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    I'm sure you said the same about the countless occasions in the past when Chan made big mistakes but still got overinflated scores and way too high PCS
    Actually when Chan falls or makes errors he does not get personal best PCS; his PCS scores drop (e.g. sub-90 at 2013 Worlds) which is deserved. Haters just complain that his PCS doesnt take a severe enough hit.... and then when he skates clean they find another reason to whine about his PCS being too high because his skating is emotionless, etc.

    By comparison a skater like Hanyu or Lipnitskaia falling and getting a personal best PCS, several points above their previous personal best PCS at that, is wrong.

    Perhaps some of Chan's PCS marks have been not as lessened as he deserved, but that's nothing compared to Hanyu exceeding his PCS personal best in a FS by 5 points for a skate with a bad fall and Lipnitskaia receiving a PCS personal best for a 3-triple FS with a fall, or B/S getting a personal best FD score with a fall...those will go down as the worst PCS inflation and home favouritism since the IJS was created.

  6. #156
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,887
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Oh yeah and the wins of Chan at the 2013 Worlds and 2010 Skate Canada were completely right and in no way, shape, or form wrong, and only Chan haters say otherwise.
    If you look at my past posts, these are the two particular competitions that I have explicitly said I do not believe Chan should have won.

    I notice you didn't include 2012 Worlds in your usual anti-Chan unworthy victories spiel... Perhaps you've finally come to your senses?

  7. #157
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Does anybody have the medal ceremony?

  8. #158
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Does anybody have the medal ceremony?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15xPwlw6lHI

  9. #159
    Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy
    Actually I never have. When Chan falls or makes errors he does not get personal best PCS; his PCS scores drop which is deserved. A skater like Hanyu or Lipnitskaia falling and getting a personal best PCS, and several points above their previous personal best PCS at that, is wrong.
    I'm so tired off this 'Chan isn't getting such obvious favors' crap. Guess what, if a score is a PB or not depends on your skates beforehand too. The 92+ here is too high (I haven't seen anyone saying his PCS were right, and Hanyu himself said he thinks it was too much), but you can bet your behind this would have been a PB PCS wherever he'd have skated. His previous best was 85+ from the GPF 2012 I think, and he would have definitly beat that. Compared to 2012 (and heck, especially 2011) he's faster and doesn't lose his speed towards the end of the program. Absolutly all of his jumps have transitions, and his programs are jam-packed. Plus, he was giving it his all looking at the performance. This is simply a PCS PB because it was his strongest LP skate so far (in the sense of IJS, at least). If you really think he'll go back to something around 82-83 with a skate like this, you might become a sad man in the future. Heck, even Kovtun scored 81+ in PCS, Hanyu's PCS were hardly the only ones that were too high

    And didn't Chan receive 90+ PCS for his nearly clean LP at 4CC in 2012, and yet 90+ too for his worlds performance with a waxel and falling behind the music? Yeah,I see the big difference to Hanyus horrendous score here

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy
    Perhaps some of Chan's PCS marks have been not as lessened as he deserved, but that's nothing compared to Hanyu exceeding his PCS personal best in a FS by 5 points for a skate with a bad fall and Lipnitskaia receiving a PCS personal best for a 3-triple FS with a fall, or B/S getting a personal best FD score with a fall...those will go down as the worst PCS inflation and home favouritism since the IJS was created.
    You'd wish. Nothing of that comes even close to 2013 worlds, and at least Hanyu deserved the overall win. After downplaying him, you need to stop trying to use his score to make Chan's look better. It's not working.

  10. #160
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    If you look at my past posts, these are the two particular competitions that I have explicitly said I do not believe Chan should have won.

    I notice you didn't include 2012 Worlds in your usual anti-Chan unworthy victories spiel... Perhaps you've finally come to your senses?
    I posted in another thread that pangtongfan should now bestow the honour of 'falling and winning' and 'Name-flation' to Hanyu if PTF has a fair mind. Hey PTF, you know it takes a lot of skills to fall and win so really, this is no small honour. Unfortunately, Chiddy now has to step down from the throne. Are you going to crown Hanyu or will you still insist that Chan is falling and winning?

    Anyway, Hanyu is undoubtedly the best now. I think he will mow Daisuke and the rest of the guys at Japan Nationals and ready to take over as the Rock Prince (hey skyfall, you should be pleased).

    I am soooo for Patrick.

  11. #161
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I posted in another thread that pangtongfan should now bestow the honour of 'falling and winning' and 'Name-flation' to Hanyu if PTF has a fair mind. Hey PTF, you know it takes a lot of skills to fall and win so really, this is no small honour. Unfortunately, Chiddy now has to step down from the throne. Are you going to crown Hanyu or will you still insist that Chan is falling and winning?

    Anyway, Hanyu is undoubtedly the best now. I think he will mow Daisuke and the rest of the guys at Japan Nationals and ready to take over as the Rock Prince (hey skyfall, you should be pleased).

    I am soooo for Patrick.
    I really don't understand all this hostility, for lack of a better word, against Hanyu winning here. He clearly was the best out of all the skaters--whether this took place in Japan or not.

  12. #162
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Actually when Chan falls or makes errors he does not get personal best PCS; his PCS scores drop (e.g. sub-90 at 2013 Worlds) which is deserved. Haters just complain that his PCS doesnt take a severe enough hit.... and then when he skates clean they find another reason to whine about his PCS being too high because his skating is emotionless, etc.

    Yeah, those evil haters


    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    By comparison a skater like Hanyu or Lipnitskaia falling and getting a personal best PCS, several points above their previous personal best PCS at that, is wrong.

    Perhaps some of Chan's PCS marks have been not as lessened as he deserved, but that's nothing compared to Hanyu exceeding his PCS personal best in a FS by 5 points for a skate with a bad fall and Lipnitskaia receiving a PCS personal best for a 3-triple FS with a fall, or B/S getting a personal best FD score with a fall...those will go down as the worst PCS inflation and home favouritism since the IJS was created.

    Hanyu had one bad fall today but otherwise he was great. I don't see why this would be so wrong to give him a personal best PCS score when he has improved otherwise. I also don't remember him skating clean free skates very often so that one mistake today maybe should not be the deciding factor. If you could an example from the past where Hanyu skated totally clean, performaed very well with a great program and still got lowballed on PCS then your point would be valid.

  13. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    The comparision by Chan fans to some of the past competitions Chan won is a joke. Over the whole competition Chan had 2 huge errors in the short and Hanyu only 1 in the long. Thus Hanyu won a competition skating cleaner than Chan, regardless which one thinks should have won the LP. Now compare that to many instances Chan had many more errors than opponents, and quality opponents in some cases who had great skating skills, interpretation (arguably superior to Chan's especialy in instances he had alot of mistakes), quads, quality spins as well. Yet the judges still held Chan up as the easy winner by such ridiculous things as giving Takahashi, a stunning artistic skater, closer PCS to AMODIO than to a faulty Chan in the LP at the 2012 Worlds. Yes I know Takahashi had problems in the SP there and Takahashi merely gotten equal PCS to Chan in the LP there (and he sure as heck deserved atleast that) he would have won overall. Yet the scary thing is that doesnt even make the top 5 in Chan's most controversial wins ever probably.

    This has been a great season for judging in mens though. Chan has deserved her scores and victories (for once) and once again he received the score and result that was fair and appropriate (yes you could make a case for Chan possibly winning the LP, and I have no problem with those who do that, but certainly not the overall event), even if this time it was not 1st place. Nobody sane and rational minded would dispute that in mens singles this has been the best year of judging since 2007-2008 and continues to be so.

  14. #164
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I'm absolutely thrilled. I really enjoyed his programs this season, especially his SP, and really want him to be on the Olympic Team.

    I'm sort of torn because I do like Machida also, but I'm feeling sentimental toward Nobu and love the fact he is making such a great comeback after a some injury struggles in the last two years.
    I heard that not only did Oda have to return from a family holiday (ie. unprepared) to substitute Takahashi at the GPF... his skates were broken, and new ones only arrived 4 days before. They were stiff and painful, he had limited flexibility at his ankles. Notice how he limped off the ice after the FS and took his skates off immediately?

    If all that's true, his performance was all the more impressive!

    Have to hope he can wear in the new skates before Nationals though...

  15. #165
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by KwanIsALegand View Post
    The ice is slippery isn't it?! I cannot believe someone unseated Chan, shocking. This is good for Hanyu, good for skating and even good for Chan. I think it is going to be blood and guts in Sochi, the pressure will be intense. Well, may the best skater win, it will be exciting for us to watch for sure!
    Maybe I'm not remembering right, but didn't Takahashi win over Chan at last year's GPF?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •