Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

Custom Title
    the overall results here were correct though Chan deserved higher pcs or rather Hanyu deserved perhaps lower pcs in both programs. Sorry, Hanyu's edges, skating skills, trnasitions are not as good as Chan's even with chan erros in fact his leve is below Dai's as well. He is good but not that good. Chan is paying the price for not developing another quad (salchow) as well as his spins. if Dai or hanyu skating clean they will win it all. Fernandez is also in the wings. I wonder what is ogoing on with Joubert and Reynolds. Reynolds could be outside of the top ten. And who is France's no. 1?

Am I the only one that worries that skating a free program is dangerous for Hanyu's health? if he skates well he always looks like he's close to death at the end. (yes I'm exaggerating just a bit, but still)...

he does seem a bit clunky to me in the LP... Chan seemed a bit better in his LP... neither one blew me away... the men's LPs are all kinda blah.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Am I the only one that worries that skating a free program is dangerous for Hanyu's health? if he skates well he always looks like he's close to death at the end. (yes I'm exaggerating just a bit, but still)...

he does seem a bit clunky to me in the LP... Chan seemed a bit better in his LP... neither one blew me away... the men's LPs are all kinda blah.
    I agree. At the end of the program I thought he was hyperventilating. I watched his performance a few times and I am amazed at how packed the second half of his program is. He made it through and skated well but he is going to have to work on stamina for Sochi.... I would like him to eat something too, he is too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    I really don't understand all this hostility, for lack of a better word, against Hanyu winning here. He clearly was the best out of all the skaters--whether this took place in Japan or not.
    Thank you for stating what I thought was obvious. Couldn't agree more. Chan was sub par. Yuzu was the best he's been all season and skated his heart out in both programs. Even after the fall on the sal (which no one else attempted) he didn't let down once until the final pose. The kid is an amazing athlete and talent. And yes, the Olympics just got a lot more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I agree. At the end of the program I thought he was hyperventilating. I watched his performance a few times and I am amazed at how packed the second half of his program is. He made it through and skated well but he is going to have to work on stamina for Sochi.... I would like him to eat something too, he is too thin.
    Isn't he asthmatic? he seems to really suffer from it, I'm not sure building more stamina is possible for him.

Custom Title
    I haven't read the whole thread but,

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...010-spnavi-spo

Yuzuru thinks that he happened to win this competition. About high PCS in FP, he said he felt that he couldn't do well in that department although he tried to face the judges and appeal to them during the program but his skating didn't catch up. He thinks he received big score in FP because of good SP. "GPF is GPF, Sochi is Sochi, Nationals is Nationals, all are going to be different."

(Asked about the reaction in K&C because he didn't look like a winner) "I didn't think that score to come, honestly it was different (he means that there is a gap between his evaluation and the judges')." He said that he will try to get the similar score in other competitions, too.

Better or correction of translation are welcome This guy is smart and knows the sport. He is down to earth so please don't worry

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...007151040.html

Patrick said that he had pain in his knee(s?) and is planning to go to the Nationals after taking some rest. And he also mentioned of the pressure the Japanese skaters have for the selection of the Olympics.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Isn't he asthmatic? he seems to really suffer from it, I'm not sure building more stamina is possible for him.
    I am not positive but I think so. I don't think I've seen him use an inhaler though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Hanyu is naturally very thin, I don't think eating more will really add much to his skinny frame.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yude View Post
    Yuzuru thinks that he happened to win this competition. About high PCS in FP, he said he felt that he couldn't do well in that department although he tried to face the judges and appeal to them during the program but his skating didn't catch up. He thinks he received big score in FP because of good SP. "GPF is GPF, Sochi is Sochi, Nationals is Nationals, all are going to be different."

(Asked about the reaction in K&C because he didn't look like a winner) "I didn't think that score to come, honestly it was different (he means that there is a gap between his evaluation and the judges')." He said that he will try to get the similar score in other competitions, too.
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...007151040.html
    So I guess even Hanyu agrees with a lot of posters on this board that his PCS in the fd was higher than it should have been.

Anyhow. Congrats to Hanyu. This is probably his best birthday present ever!

Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    I really don't understand all this hostility, for lack of a better word, against Hanyu winning here. He clearly was the best out of all the skaters--whether this took place in Japan or not.
    No choloepoco, just trying to prove a point. I have nothing against Hanyu. In fact, I congratulated him in another forum over the GPF win, and I have posted over many threads that he's a highly talented skater set to dominate for his age group. This recent win proved that his peers like Brown, Farris, Han Yan, Kovtun, Gachinski won't be able to touch him for at least the next two years unless they make leaps and bounds themselves. And I honestly think Hanyu will beat Daisuke easily with his GPF skates. YOu don't think so? He beat Patrick too.

Hostility? I think as a Chan fan that word is best understood by us. I have been waiting for someone to fall and win to prove that those arguments against Patrick for falling and winning is invalid. (Unfortunately it has to be Hanyu because he is good enough to do that .. really Hanyu fans should be pleased because not all skaters can fall and win). Now I get my chance so for those who argue that someone who fall should not win, do you agree with that? Some argued that Patrick got high marks because of home cooking and favouritism, now do you think Hanyu got high marks because of home cooking and favouritism? I personally don't think so. He happens to be good enough to beat Patrick at GPF. Now don't tell me you don't agree with me?

Custom Title
    Also congrats to Oda! I wonder what Oda will need to do at Nationals to get the third spot to Sochi (I'm guessing Hanyu and Takahashi are in).

Custom Title
    Have refrained from commenting but of course ALL the skaters received home advantage to varying degrees, including Hanyu here and Patrick in Canada. It doesn't mean it'sright, it means that's the way it is. (edit: actually France's recent TEB showed much less favoritism to their team)

Hanyu is a great jumper, but his posture, carriage and SS are worse than Patrick's, hope he improves in these areas, develop more defined and refined lines.

Patrick is fighting in this LP, the ease and confidence left him, unfortunately. He is still a great skater regardless.

Despite the errors, I enjoyed Maxim Kovtun's LP the most because of the precision, definition and pure elegance of his movement - none of the others could match his presence and SS.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyskates View Post
    Despite the errors, I enjoyed Maxim Kovtun's LP the most because of the precision, definition and pure elegance of his movement - none of the others could match his presence and SS.
    http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...eIfSerious.jpg

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blades of passion View Post
    lol

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Yes! He's going to be the next Plushenko. You heard it here first.

With the exception of Chan, the others, though technically excellent, skated more like boys than men, whereas Kovtun and even Pitkeev in Junior come across with a maturity and sophistication.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast