Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

treeloving

Medalist
Even without PCS boost, Yuzu deserve to beat chan here and would still beat Chan here anyway because of his TES score, his PCS in SP + LP is around 12 point higher than he usually get but even without that he still beat Chan by a slim margin!

emdee

Final Flight
I think Yuzu deserved to win overall but IMO Patrick deserved the LP.

The Olympics should be won on the day and not before.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
no he wont beat Chan if he gets PCS he deserves (not this overhyped PCS scores he got here) and chan goes two clean programs. Like i said Chan should have won the free skate here, but overall score because of the short it was yuzurus win but not with that huge gap! cmon people hes not that good, and im sorry but that rome and juliet program is really not working for me..

emdee

Final Flight
to Skyfly:
Who did the Zamboni this time!! Haha. Sometimes ill advised comments come back to bite the speaker.

emdee

Final Flight
no he wont beat Chan if he gets PCS he deserves (not this overhyped PCS scores he got here) and chan goes two clean programs

Agree but the win should be on the day and not the crowning before!

treeloving

Medalist
no he wont beat Chan if he gets PCS he deserves (not this overhyped PCS scores he got here) and chan goes two clean programs

If that a reply to my post - I talk about this competition even without this much PCS boost (minus around 12 points of his score here) he would still beat Chan overall because Yuzuru has an advantage on TES score.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Even without PCS boost, Yuzu deserve to beat chan here and will beat Chan anyway because of his TES score, his PCS in SP + LP is around 12 point higher than he usually get but even without that he still beat Chan by a slim margin!

I felt that Hanyu's pcs in the short were kind of deserved, maybe 1 or 2 points overscored? In the free, probably 5 points overscored, last year in the GPF in Russia he got 85 in pcs with a weaker program, IMHO. Of course Yuzu was overscored in pcs, but, if he hits, he has a real shot at winning the whole thing.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
emdee said:
I think Yuzu deserved to win overall but IMO Patrick deserved the LP.

Sounds fair. I'm just proud of the monstrous TES score, I'll defend that, but the PCS were too high.

Both being completly clean, Chan would win. But no matter where the skates will happen, I think a perfect Hanyu wouldn't leave Chan much room for error. And I at least think that's exciting :)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congrats to Yuzuru, Patrick and Nobu. And great comeback for Machida. Still missing Daisuke, though I'm afraid he will not enter the spheres of Yuzuru and Patrick ever. I just hope he will be at the Olympics and maybe can snatch another bronze.

To be honest I didn't think Yuzuru would win after the fall. I'm quite surprised by the gap between him and Patrick. Seems the judges really are keen on making things exciting for the Olympics.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
i agree, i also think the judges are trying to make things more exciting for the olympics by showing how close it will be, i was very suprised when yuzus free skate scores came up, i still dont get it... and yes i read the protocols..

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: at Hanyu's PCS jumping up 11 points in 3 weeks time and to top it off, he wasn't even clean. Only in figure skating and only on Japan ice. :unsure: I'm shocked to see Yuzu win the LP here, even if only by less than a point with a fall when Chan was clean in the LP, albeit with a little less technical base value. Patrick should have won the LP I think!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Wow, so Hanyu won by a huge margin, compared to how many points anyone else has beaten Patrick Chan by in the last few years. Lol, I fell asleep during Chan and woke up during Hanyu. Neither were boring.. I was just tired.

bekalc

Record Breaker
no he wont beat Chan if he gets PCS he deserves (not this overhyped PCS scores he got here) and chan goes two clean programs. Like i said Chan should have won the free skate here, but overall score because of the short it was yuzurus win but not with that huge gap! cmon people hes not that good, and im sorry but that rome and juliet program is really not working for me..

Hanyu has a pretty big base value advantage over Patrick in the free skate. An extra triple axel, a quad sal (which he means he can repeat a 3lutz and a 3axel) and all combos in the later half of the program including both triple axels. Those things start adding up. Hanyu has maybe around 8 point advantage. I think in general Hanyu's jumps are cleaner and should warrant higher GOE than Patrick on jumps. If Hanyu hadn't fallen on his quad sal he would have ended up with more over all GOE than Chan.

Although there is a tendency of the judges not to hit Patrick for lower GOE even when he doesn't deserve superb GOE on the element see his last spin should have been negatives across the board wasn't.

Now Hanyu doesn't have a huge short program advantage and yes Patrick deserves higher PCS.... However 8 points to 9 points higher in the free?

I think Chan could come up higher due to the short/overall. Oh I don't think Hanyu's PCS will be so high outside of Japan.

But the point of the matter is Chan's a bit more vulnerable to Hanyu than you are given him credit for being. Its like a Tara vs Michelle thing.

emdee

Final Flight
Sounds fair. I'm just proud of the monstrous TES score, I'll defend that, but the PCS were too high.

Both being completly clean, Chan would win. But no matter where the skates will happen, I think a perfect Hanyu wouldn't leave Chan much room for error. And I at least think that's exciting :)

Yes, so exciting! I will likely close my eyes...

That will be hard on my stomach ... my two favourites battling for the gold.
Naturally I also want Canada to have an Oly men's gold so it will be doubly hard.

Just hope all have perfect skates that is what I would wish for and judging that is based on actual performance on the day.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Like Chan was never overscored, especialy in Chanada. Far worse than anything that occured her. Worlds last year will remain one of the all time farces in skating history for decades to come, and only the very occasional Canadian (and even few of those) would ever dispute that. Skate Canada 2010 isnt far behind.

He did get huge points for that quad fall, of course I disagree with how many points are awarded for quad falls. But considering how many times Patrick benefited from quad fall, I think Chan fans especially can know see the shoe on the other foot. Points for rotations aren't so nice now are they. :laugh:

Hanyu has a higher base value in the short program too but not as big of a deal..In general, do I think Hanyu's PCS were a big high here yes. But I think in general how low do you think Hanyu's PCS are going to be...

Chan's not the only one with beautiful skating skills at the end of the day. Hanyu's skating skills aren't as good as Chan's but they are very very good. Chan's PCS are only going to be soo high. And I don't think a clean Chan in the short at the Olympics will have the type of short program lead that he got over a clean Ten last year. It might be three point lead at best.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Inflation of marks is wrong no matter who benefits from it with flawed skates. Patrick has largely been skating like a champion this season with two clean or strong programs with no falls, which is why I've been off his case in terms of his marks. We have not seen any blemishes from him in the events that mattered this season until the SP here at the Final. I've felt he has fully deserved every high mark he has received this season, he has two great programs with great music and packaging, and I actually argue that he deserves higher marks for his LP skate here at the Final. No way he should have lost the LP to Hanyu here, IMO. It is what it is though, and why bother crying over spilled milk as the saying goes. Onward to Sochi for the men and hopefully onward to better skating for everyone! :clap::points:

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Look at the how high the TES is going year after year for the Men's FS:

2011-2012 GPF: 4 over 80 TES, 2 over 70

2012-2013 GPF: 2 over 90 TES, 2 over 80, 1 at the barrier at 79, and 1 in the 50s

2013-2014 GPF: 1 over 100 TES, 2 over 90, 2 over 80, and 1 at the barrier at 79

The logical thing is expect quintuple axels at 2017-2018 GPF... Ladies event.

spikydurian

Medalist
He did get huge points for that quad fall, of course I disagree with how many points are awarded for quad falls. But considering how many times Patrick benefited from quad fall, I think Chan fans especially can know see the shoe on the other foot. Points for rotations aren't so nice now are they. :laugh:
inflation should now be replaced by hanyuflation! Move over inflation. Hanyuflation is the order of the day.
:p