Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men LP - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

bekalc

Record Breaker
Inflation of marks is wrong no matter who benefits from it with flawed skates. Patrick has largely been skating like a champion this season with two clean or strong programs with no falls, which is why I've been off his case in terms of his marks. We have not seen any blemishes from him in the events that mattered this season until the SP here at the Final. I've felt he has fully deserved every high mark he has received this season, he has two great programs with great music and packaging, and I actually argue that he deserves higher marks for his LP skate here at the Final. No way he should have lost the LP to Hanyu here, IMO. It is what it is though, and why bother crying over spilled milk as the saying goes. Onward to Sochi for the men and hopefully onward to better skating for everyone! :clap::points:

I don't know if I agree with Hanyu's win in the free either. However, I think that Team Chan needs to take a look at the protocols. While Chan left a three toe on the the table and had a level 3 spin. Hanyu had a fall, level 3 footwork and a level one spin.

Right now Patrick is spotting quite a lot of base value points to Hanyu in the free. Once could argue Hanyu's PCS were high here. But if that Olympics, Hanyu skates that program with a quad sal and a quad toe clean, to think his PCS won't hit close to high 8s, low 9s.

sapphiresky

Rinkside
Missed the performances, but wow, Yuzuru won! Even with the huge lead in the SP, I was a bit hesitant to say that Yuzu would win overall given how much Patrick can score. I guess judges are sending a message that it is possible to defeat PChan, even when he had (from what I read) a pretty decent LP.
And it shocked me even more that Yuzuru won the LP too, which is a bit strange compared to the trend of previous competitions.

Happy for Oda as well.
I guess it would be Yuzuru, Daisuke and Oda (or Machida?) to the OG?

How did Patrick look in the K&C this time? Maybe this will be the motivator for him to work even harder for the OG.

elif

Medalist
I don't know if I agree with Hanyu's win in the free either. However, I think that Team Chan needs to take a look at the protocols. While Chan left a three toe on the the table and had a level 3 spin. Hanyu had a fall, level 3 footwork and a level one spin.

Right now Patrick is spotting quite a lot of base value points to Hanyu in the free. Once could argue Hanyu's PCS were high here. But if that Olympics, Hanyu skates that program with a quad sal and a quad toe clean, to think his PCS won't hit close to high 8s, low 9s.

Protocols looks interesting. Hanyu repeating 3A and 3lutz and also has 4T and 4S. Chan is repating 4T and 3lutz but only have one 3A. Hanyu's 3As and all combinations are in the second half. So he is getting bonus for them too.

NMURA

Medalist
Perfect Chan can stay above perfect Hanyu.
But if Hanyu landed all jumps, Chan can't afford a single mistake.
That is the name of the game at the Olympics.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Potentially, I see an Olympic podium of 1 Canadian, 1 Japanese, and 1 Russian man. Fernandez's notorious inconsistency has put his Olympic medal spot in jeopardy; his momentum from last season took a huge hit this fall season with his very subpar outings, his lackluster programs, and his PCS will suffer as a result. Ten is always a question mark; his inconsistency is notorious as well.

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the medalists!! :yay::clap:
Personally, I'd like to send my word to all the Japanese skaters who carried a burden called "the pressure for the selection of the Olympics" in front of the home crowd. I'm so proud of them!!

SquishyDumpling

Rinkside
What a fighter Hanyu is. Great recovery after the 4S and skated like the fall didn't happen at all.
He definitely put more soul into this program than the other times, but I didn't expect the judges to give him 92 in PCS. His PCS range this season is crazy. The judges just don't seem to be able to figure out what to do with him.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I love both Patrick and Yuzu, but I too think Yuzu was overscored. He definitely deserved to win and I'm so happy for him, but he was sloppy and droopy in some areas of his LP and the end was a mess. Does that really deserve a personal best score? The jumps that he hit were gorgeous though, probably the best out there.

Kelly

On the Ice
Hanyu only needs 180+ for the LP to win overall. I am glad Hanyu takes advantage of Patrick's SP mistakes and he himself skated a decent LP to win the GPF.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:laugh: at Hanyu's PCS jumping up 11 points in 3 weeks time and to top it off, he wasn't even clean. Only in figure skating and only on Japan ice. :unsure: I'm shocked to see Yuzu win the LP here, even if only by less than a point with a fall when Chan was clean in the LP, albeit with a little less technical base value. Patrick should have won the LP I think!

Truly laughable. :laugh: apparently trading a quad fall and popped quad (TEB) for a quad fall and clean quad merits 11+ extra PCS. 193 points for a FS with a fall... it's ludicrous. And like Lipnitskaia he was rewarded with home cooked PCS that was about 5 points higher than his previous PB.

Chan totally deserved the LP win. But considering Hanyu's sublime SP and Chan's SP errors, Hanyu definitely deserves the win, and save for the fall he put out solid skates which were better performed than TEB.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Congrats to amazing Hanyu for making olympics even more exciting :clap: Also happy for all doing better today. Most happy for Oda… I so want him in Sochi :bow: Both Hanyu and Oda fell but managed to focus and skate great after that. Counts a lot for becoming a champion... fighters!

So, now all top men have bombed and succeeded during GP. Rippon and Brown may have been the most consistent.

Next excitements are Russia nationals, Japan nationals, US and Canada nationals(haven't seen Reynolds yet). AND Europeans with Verner, who has done great in B competitions and Fernandez, who we don't know what his problems are. Perhaps Amodio can also come back… Ten… and Joubert…? I'm sure I forgot someone... :love: :popcorn:

David21

On the Ice
no he wont beat Chan if he gets PCS he deserves (not this overhyped PCS scores he got here) and chan goes two clean programs.

Chan has gotten overinflated scores for years.

Like i said Chan should have won the free skate here, but overall score because of the short it was yuzurus win but not with that huge gap! cmon people hes not that good, and im sorry but that rome and juliet program is really not working for me..

And for me Chan's program isn't working. In every program of his he does the same strange, meaningless arm movements and I have no idea what he's trying to convey with them. His PCS for SS and TR should be off the roof but his other PCS should not be much better than everyone else's at this competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
inflation should now be replaced by hanyuflation! Move over inflation. Hanyuflation is the order of the day.
:p

Hanyu's home ice inflation was shameless and rivals Lipnitskaia at COR. I fully expect that if Mao has a fall in the FS she will still get a personal best PCS. :rolleye:

David21

On the Ice
Inflation of marks is wrong no matter who benefits from it with flawed skates. Patrick has largely been skating like a champion this season with two clean or strong programs with no falls, which is why I've been off his case in terms of his marks. We have not seen any blemishes from him in the events that mattered this season until the SP here at the Final.

Errr...yeah Chan was very good at his 2nd Grand Prix where he got showered with never seen before, sky high scores but he didn't skate very well at Skate Canada this season where he was overscored as usual...

David21

On the Ice
Hanyu's home ice inflation was shameless and rivals Lipnitskaia at COR. I fully expect that if Mao has a fall in the FS she will still get a personal best PCS. :rolleye:

I'm sure you said the same about the countless occasions in the past when Chan made big mistakes but still got overinflated scores and way too high PCS ;)

NMURA

Medalist
Hanyu's TES of his TEB free was 87.3 points.
Replacing first two jumps with those of GPF, you will get TES of 99.9 points.
Such a huge number could prop up his PCS at least 3 or 4 points.
Most likely, Hanyu would have gotten about 280 points at TEB if he skated like at GPF.
The difference of 13 points could be explained for the home bonus and federation's favorite ("ace") bonus.
I think he was given about 286 points even if it was not in Japan, beating Chan comfortably.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
These PCS are what Hanyu should get if he were skating to an updated version of his 2012 Long Program. His current program is formulaic crap and the scores are undeserved. Unless he skates absolutely perfect, he definitely won't get that much at the Olympics.

However, I'm glad Hanyu scored so well at this competition, to shut up some annoying people who like to downplay his abilities/chances. His technical ability is higher than anyone else in the World and he can be an amazing performer, when given the right vehicles.

There's pretty much nobody I'm rooting for to win the Olympics at this point. All of the Men in contention have disappointing Long Programs this season.