Good coaches for beautiful edges@Chelsea Piers or Ice House? | Golden Skate

Good coaches for beautiful edges@Chelsea Piers or Ice House?

S

sarahmistral

Good coaches for beautiful edges@Chelsea Piers or Ice House?

Does anyone know a good coach to work on sound skating fundamentals (someone who is more in awe of Alexander Abt-esque flow and edges than of jumps per se; I fantasize about landing jumps as much as the next aspiring adult skater, it's just that the whole package, particularly interpretation of music, is what appeals to me the most) at either Chelsea Piers or Ice House in the New York area?

R

RoaringSkates

Coach

Nina Newby is a former ice dancer. She's in New Rochelle, NY, but coaches in NYC fairly often. She'll teach you jumps, too, but she will also teach good basics.

M

mtvessel

Re: Good coaches for beautiful edges@Chelsea Piers or Ice Ho

I'm been studying off and on with Steven Lu at Chelsea Piers for a few years. He is a terrific and dedicated coach. One of the things I've always appreciated about him is his emphasis on fundamentals. I've only studied singles skating with him, but his own training was primarily as an ice dancer, and it shows in the quality of his edges, and his attention to good form. I recommend him highly.

I don't know if he's accepting new pupils now, but if you ask at the office, I'm sure they can put you in touch with him.

Good Luck!