Most Overated Movie | Golden Skate

Most Overated Movie

chirisici

Spectator
Another movie thred. I think that many movies get huge aclaim, and when I see them, I'm just "eh". These are a few of mine. These aren't bad movies, mind you, just ones that didn't live up to the hype--

Crouching Tiger--I know, everyone loves this movie, but I found it kind of long. Love Chow Yung Fat, but that girl-prodigy was actually kind of aggravating.

Chicago - I loved how the actors were obviously having a blast and giving 10000 percent. But song-wise, the best one by far was the first one, and then it went down hill from there.

Gladiator - I was kind of stunned that this movie was taken for a serious film. Russell wasa at his meatiest, but it was just a silly blockbuster!

Kasey

Medalist
Most "summer blockbuster" type movies....Armageddon, Independence Day, this last year, Bad boys 2....I think most of those really stink to me!

Kasey

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
"My Own Private Idaho" -- Awful!! Unbeleivably pretentious!! Kenau Reeves doing some sort of Shakespeare thang!! I would have walked out of it only I wanted to see just how bad it was going to get. Despite that, though, I will say the one thing it did have going for it -- River Pheonix was outstanding and gave one of the best performances I have ever seen. People magazine had it right when they said, "Things get so tedious that after a while, you start to wonder if River Pheonix's narcolepsy is actually part of the plot". I have gotten into huge arguements with people over this piece of junk -- I seem to be the only one I know who didn't LOVE it:mad:

supersk8er

Rinkside
Good thread!

My pics: Monsters Ball (WORST movie I've ever seen), Matrix movies (made me never want to see action films again), Titanic (sure, the first time I saw it, it was beautiful, but now that I've seen it many times, it really isn't THAT good), and the new Star Wars movies.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Have you ever seen that Seinfeld episode where Mr. Peterman drags Elaine to see "The English Patient" and she hates it so much that she starts screaming "Die already!"? Okay, well, that's how I felt during the first "Matrix" movie. I kept screaming in my head "END ALREADY!" Somehow, being a good wife, I let my husband talk me into seeing the second "Matrix" movie, which, unbelievably, I actually liked, and HE hated!

Oh, and I also felt that way about that Austin Powers movie. I didn't laugh once.
:laugh:

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I love that Seinfeld episode! And I think it's the reason I have such an aversion to actually SEEING"The English Patient"... :)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oh, but I actually loved "The English Patient". Mr. RG, however, says he felt exactly like Elaine about that movie.

Isn't it a riot when Mr. Peterman says, "You're fired," and Elaine says, "Great. I'll wait for you outside."

Rachael

On the Ice
The Truman Show
can't rememeber the name of it but ya know, the movie about the big boat......we knew the ending before it was even released..... :laugh: :D

The English Patient does have to be high on the list. Beautiful desert landscapes, but ("die already!", LOL) who cared a twig about any of the characters? The subplot about the Indian man and his girlfriend, which provided a crucial contrast to the "patient" in the book, was never developed in the movie.

My short list:

Citizen Kane (hated the main character, could care less about his sled. Some pretty black and white photography, though.)

Casablanca (rambling thrown-together plot, no chemistry between Bogart and Bergman)

The Godfather (whenever Marlon Brando came on screen I lost track of what was going on because all I could think about was, "why does Marlon Brando have his cheeks stuffed with wads of cotton?")

Mathman

berthes ghost

Final Flight
What a sad list:(

Anyway MM, did you ever see the Simpson's episode where they find the alternate ending to Casablanca? Hysterical :laugh:

Yeah, it is a sad list, because these movies are on everybody's list as the greatest of all time, so I was doubly disappointed when I couldn't really get into them.

I missed the Simpson's version. I'll watch for it in reruns.:)

mathman

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
don't hate me....

'Life Is Beautiful' - I'm sorry, I don't think you should turn being in a concentration camp into a game. I could not stand Roberto Begnini's character and I just thought he kept putting his young son into such dangerous situations.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

chirisici

Spectator
I have to agree-

Titanic had the worst scrpit ever - really corny and harlequin Romance stuff.

Citizen Cane was all innovation, but really cold at heart. I feel that its sterile.

As Good as it Gets got so much acclaim . . .it was a super long sitcom (with sitcom actors!) And with Gay stereotypes.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
chirisici said:
I have to agree-

Titanic had the worst scrpit ever - really corny and harlequin Romance stuff.

Yeah, I think it really kind of stretched any credibility it had at all when the ship is going down, they're waist deep in water, and Billy Zane is chasing diCaprio across the ballroom firing a gun at him. Looked absolutely ridicolous.

And as far as the end is concerned -- near as I can tell, there was room for BOTH of them on that headboard or whatever it was Kate Winslet was floating on, yet she had to spread herself out like she was doing an Obsession ad or something and leave Leo in the water.....

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think I mentioned my pic in another thread...."Eyes Wide Shut".........:\ 42

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
And actually my theory is that Titanic was just a big expensive excuse to show Kate Winslet in a wet dress....

Pookie

Final Flight
I didn't like Casablanca either, Mathman. I couldn't understand what all the to-do was about. But I'm not a Bogart fan anyway.

Someone mentioned "Speed" in another thread. That one is way too much action for me. It got on my nerves. :laugh:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Academy picks as Best Picture

are often very disappointing. Usually I rent after the whole thing is over. "Fargo" could have been produced by the Menendez brothers rather than the 2 whose names are blissfully forgotten.

All that blood, though I did find Francis McDormand pretty funny, but best picture?

Another over rated win was American Beauty

there are so few quality films these days you really have to get lucky in Blockbuster. I find Romantic comedies generally deliver the light themes.

As far as drama, that's tougher to produce. Every movie gets hyped so much.

I have to say I never watch the high adrenaline flicks, gore galore
or the Arnold movies. When I was a child, I'm glad there were no texas chainsaw massacres. I still love Sound of Music.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Bijoux --

I actually like The Sound of Music, too, which given my personality and basic aversion to musicals (tho I loved Chicago) is rather surprising. My aunt, who has in her 58 years on earth, has probably seen every movie known to man, had actually NOT seen Sound of Music until about 8 years ago, when we rented it. She was hilarious; every time a song came on, she was saying, "Oh, my God! I thought this was from West Side Story!", "Oh, my God! I thought this was from Paint Your Wagon!" "Oh, my God! I thought this was from Carousel!". Every song she thought was from a different musical! (Except of course for the title song). I about died laughing.