Ladies FS - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

SXTN

Final Flight
Mao's jumps are ALWAYS short of rotation, especially the Loops and Flips.

Would have < the second Flip, the Toeloop and the Loop as well.

elif

Medalist
One good thing for Adelina: even Amano didn't give her < this time.:laugh:

I'm happy Julia skated clean after the CoR. I love this program. :love:

ranjake

Final Flight
Mao's jumps are ALWAYS short of rotation, especially the Loops and Flips.

Would have < the second Flip, the Toeloop and the Loop as well.

Gosh, it was even evident to me today on slow motion. But I'm assuming they were all/most less than 1/4 under-rotated?

hurrah

Medalist
Gosh, it was even evident to me today on slow motion. But I'm assuming they were all/most less than 1/4 under-rotated?

They were, amazingly enough. I checked slo-mo replays of all her jumps frame by frame. All triples except the second triple-axel were less than 1/4 under-rotated. (And I still think her triple-axel in the short should have been ratified, because that was just at the 1/4 line. :scowl:)

It's not like skaters land completely backward in any case, you know. If they did land completely and perfectly backward, they would fall.

ranjake

Final Flight
They were, amazingly enough. I checked slo-mo replays of all her jumps frame by frame. All triples except the second triple-axel were less than 1/4 under-rotated. (And I still think her triple-axel in the short should have been ratified, because that was just at the 1/4 line. :scowl:)

It's not like skaters land completely backward in any case, you know. If they did land completely and perfectly backward, they would fall.

This is something I'm still learning and studying. It's interesting to me so I appreciate the slow-motion replays AND your explanation :) This is TERRIBLE to say, maybe, I hope not- but I always found it obvious and easy to see the UR's of Sarah Hughes. For most of the rest, I rely on the slow-motion replays and the expertise of you guys.

hurrah

Medalist
This is something I'm still learning and studying. It's interesting to me so I appreciate the slow-motion replays AND your explanation :) This is TERRIBLE to say, maybe, I hope not- but I always found it obvious and easy to see the UR's of Sarah Hughes. For most of the rest, I rely on the slow-motion replays and the expertise of you guys.

Of course, at the end of the day, we must all defer to the expertise of the technical panel, who, except for the occasional miscall, get it right, IMO.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For once I'm happy that the Olympics are in Russia so if all the field skates this bad and Julia not...The winner won't be decided by huuuuuuuge PCS boost or smth

Uh.... you saw what happened at Cup of Russia? Julia could be the recipient of said PCS boost. :laugh:

Mao definitely deserved the win but was heavily overscored... 131 points for that? Yikes. Lipnitskaia got slightly lower PCS than deserved... I'd have had her at 61-62 points, but this is a far more realistic representation of the PCS she should be getting versus the 63.64 for her awful COR FS (probably 67-68 had she skated like in Fukuoka).

hurrah

Medalist
Mao definitely deserved the win but was heavily overscored... 131 points for that?

Why not? She landed all her jumps in the second half of the program. If she can land her first two jump passes, that would mean she would score around 150ish. Sounds right to me.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Why not? She landed all her jumps in the second half of the program. If she can land her first two jump passes, that would mean she would score around 150ish. Sounds right to me.

Upon a second look at the scoring, I take back what I said... I would have expected less than 130 (I mean, she her first two jumping passes had a fall and a UR, even if 3As, and she UR'ed her 3 jump combo jumps), but 131 isn't actually that outrageous or "heavily overscored" as I initially asserted. If anything, we should all be thrilled she's going for the two axels.

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
I hope you all enjoyed playing "How low can that TES box thingy go!?" :laugh:

You know, when I first saw it, I thought the box thingy was kind of irritating, but now I think I'm actually gonna miss it during the olympics

sapphiresky

Rinkside
There's so much negativity here, but I felt there were lots of positives in this competition:
:clap:
- Adelina gets a 3Lz-3L accredited, with Amano! That's a feat. This is like the 1st loop combo to not be underrotated in years right?
- Julia really doing well with the GOE on her spins
- Mao not letting the 3A's affect the rest of her jumps, and attempting them!
- Amano actually giving credit to one of the 3A's?

- No one peaking yet before the Olympics!

I think the podium is correct. I don't feel that there was massive over-scoring, the protocols make sense. If anything, didn't Mao get less PCS this time?
Julia's PCS are back to "normal"- ie. not in Russia. If she can win and get a decent score with a pretty much bombed out performance, then the reverse should be true. If the Russ Fed complains about this, then they'd be completely hypocritical. I hope thy don't seek revenge in Sochi though...:sarcasm:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I like so much Mao's program, her whole package, how much has she changed since previous Olympics, all my hope to win Olympic Games. Julia was amazing too. Ashley's program is not as Black Swan was, I wish she changed it back.

desertskates

Medalist
I only watched the top 3, but I thing the podium was correct. Mao's score seemed a tad high, but she was the clear winner, imo. And somebody, super-extra please change the back end of Ashley's program! The new dress and hairdo are nice, but that empty, skating around in circles thing kind of makes me bored. I'm excited to have someone from the US to root for to maybe medal at the Olympics, she just really needs to put something, anything in there.

RABID

Final Flight
Yeah, looking at the podium shot, she's about Ashley Wagner's height now, so she should start growing into a woman's body within the next year or so. Lucky Julia, that she gets to compete at Sochi in that golden interim.

I think I remember Jenny Kirk mentioning that her breasts would cause her problems (she is endowed). I am a guy so I would be guessing here but it would seem when a female develops her center of gravity starts shifting downwards but since breasts are high that wouldn't be a problem unless they were larger than average. Could breast size also cut short a career?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I love Mao, but her program winning the FS segment today is a perfect example of what's wrong in this IJS, Julia landed 7 clean triples, Mao landed only a couple of really clean triples and (even if she's artistically better) she should have been behind and then win overall.
I'm heartbroken for Adelina, though: landing the first clean 3Lz+3Lo in ages and then throwing it all away :bang::bang:

StellaCampo

On the Ice
I hope the audience didn't feel as if they had been invited to a junior competition, at least in the first half of the ladies' event today. I was watching Raisport live, with Franca Bianconi commenting. She was clearly unimpressed with girls ('bambine'). I missed Caro and Akiko.
It was lovely to see Valentina Marchei watching the event also. She said that it is so nice to skate to Japanese audience: packed stadium and the passion and support of the audience, who follows you at each stage of the skate, is something that will sustain you for the rest of your skating career and indeed the rest of your life. It was lovely to hear that.

minze

Medalist
I love Mao, but her program winning the FS segment today is a perfect example of what's wrong in this IJS, Julia landed 7 clean triples, Mao landed only a couple of really clean triples and (even if she's artistically better) she should have been behind and then win overall.
I'm heartbroken for Adelina, though: landing the first clean 3Lz+3Lo in ages and then throwing it all away :bang::bang:

Sorry but Mao landed five clean triples and the second mark Julia cannot compete, so her winning the LP is fine. And if we are counting triples, Julia did not land 7 Perfect triples