Ladies FS - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Mao well-deserved her win, in my opinion. Julia is over-scored in PCS, Sotnikova should have gotten a bit more points.
Ashley Wagner should go back to the Black Swan programme with some changes to maximize her points. This new programme of hers just is not spectacular at all, unfortunately.

Icey

Record Breaker
Oh, no Mao has returned to the choker style dress. Ugly. There seems to be so little connection between the skating of her program(lp) and the music. The music gets lost. Please don't be so loyal to your beloved 3 ax's , Mao

Ashley, 2 ur's and an edge call. She is badly miscast as Juliet. Of course, she doesn't have to skate the character, but when one knows the music, that is the expectation. She best swallow her pride or whatever and call Mills in (assuming he would answer the call).

In an Olympic year , you would think more attention would be given to every detail. Only Julia's team seems to have played it smart with age appropriate and effective music and costuming and well choreographed programs. OT Having 15 year olds skating to Big Spender and the Kiss of Shame or whatever that tango music is looks ridiculous. Little girls dressed up in Mom's clothes and make-up or being advised by the mom's who enter their little girls in those Kiddie beauty contest. UGH. Skating at it's tackiest.

minze

Medalist
Oh, no Mao has returned to the choker style dress. Ugly. There seems to be so little connection between the skating of her program(lp) and the music. The music gets lost. Please don't be so loyal to your beloved 3 ax's , Mao

Ashley, 2 ur's and an edge call. She is badly miscast as Juliet. Of course, she doesn't have to skate the character, but when one knows the music, that is the expectation. She best swallow her pride or whatever and call Mills in (assuming he would answer the call).

In an Olympic year , you would think more attention would be given to every detail. Only Julia's team seems to have played it smart with age appropriate and effective music and costuming and well choreographed programs. OT Having 15 year olds skating to Big Spender and the Kiss of Shame or whatever that tango music is looks ridiculous. Little girls dressed up in Mom's clothes and make-up or being advised by the mom's who enter their little girls in those Kiddie beauty contest. UGH. Skating at it's tackiest.

This made me laugh so much. I don't he will answer the call, she wanted to experiment with new choreographers, well there you have it. But I love her SP

desertskates

Medalist
I agree with Icey that Juliet was a bad call but Ashley's team. She would have made a perfect Firebird, imo. And it would have covered the bases on choosing a Russian composer for this year.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Sorry but Mao landed five clean triples and the second mark Julia cannot compete, so her winning the LP is fine. And if we are counting triples, Julia did not land 7 Perfect triples
You're right, sorry. I meant that Mao's correctly rotated and landed triples were only a couple (the salchow and the loop, maybe the solo flip), Julia landed correctly 5/6 triples at least (it depends on how you consider the flutzes) and had better spins, so for me Julia deserved to win the FS and be second overall, but this with a better judging system, with this IJS Mao's win in the FS was correct, I never questioned this and I agree with the result

David21

On the Ice
Sorry but Mao landed five clean triples and the second mark Julia cannot compete, so her winning the LP is fine. And if we are counting triples, Julia did not land 7 Perfect triples

Sorry but Mao did not land five clean triple. Even if the caller thought those 5 triple jumps were not underrotated enough to get the < call, most of them were certainly ur'ed enough to get a reduction in the GOE but as usual the judges generously didn't care and showered her with sky high PCS on top of that.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
You know, when I first saw it, I thought the box thingy was kind of irritating, but now I think I'm actually gonna miss it during the olympics

Did I miss an announcement somewhere that the TES box will not be displayed during the Olympics? :think:

I would have assumed that the ISU would add the TES box to the Olympic feeds, the same as it did for the GP events. :confused2:

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
The fact that Julia skated 2 great programs

and Mao SP 3 axel < and horrible LP WON HER OVER JULIA by over 10 points is RIDICULOUS.

This is how it's going to look at the Olympics.

Figure skating needs to get their **** together and START FROM SCRATCH. This just makes new skaters not want to skate and become the best because even so, it's not enough, not even close. I'm so mad. The 6.0 system is much better. :rolleye:

-------------

Miria with the skates of her life 190.15
Mao with her totally off days over 200+

It's very discouraging!
This is exactly why this sport is no longer exciting.
:rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

Why are we still looking forward to the Olympics if we already know perfect from ANYONE will not beat bad Mao except Yuna? :rolleye:
How exciting.

Last edited by a moderator:

minze

Medalist
Sorry but Mao did not land five clean triple. Even if the caller thought those 5 triple jumps were not underrotated enough to get the < call, most of them were certainly ur'ed enough to get a reduction in the GOE but as usual the judges generously didn't care and showered her with sky high PCS on top of that.

Sorry but I will take the caller's take on the triples. Check the protocol instead of spreading Mao Negativity like you have done every competition she has done.

minze

Medalist
The fact that Julia skated 2 great programs

and Mao SP 3 axel < and horrible LP WON HER OVER JULIA by over 10 points is RIDICULOUS.

This is how it's going to look at the Olympics.

Figure skating needs to get their sh!t together and START FROM SCRATCH. This just makes new skaters not want to skate and become the best because even so, it's not enough, not even close. I'm so mad. The 6.0 system is much better. :rolleye:

-------------

Miria with the skates of her life 190.15
Mao with her totally off days over 200+

It's very discouraging!
This is exactly why this sport is no longer exciting.
:rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

Why are we still looking forward to the Olympics if we already know perfect from ANYONE will not beat bad Mao except Yuna? :rolleye:
How existing.

Yeah go with that because the short program does not count. By the way Julia did not have a clean program either. I suppose you think Julia has better skating skills, interpretation and transitions than Mao? Mao won because despite her mistakes she had a difficult program with 5 jumps landed and she is more mature than Julia as a skater.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Not with a big splat on an axel and another big, obvious mistake at another attempt at the same jump.

She did not give up the pcs bullets because of the fall. If she had a total breakdown we could discuss then. Adelina on the other hand abandoned selling her program and her mistakes disrupted her presentation a lot. Also probably Mao would have got over 70s in pcs if not of these mistakes. And the rest of her program was fantastic.

David21

On the Ice
Yeah go with that because the short program does not count. By the way Julia did not have a clean program either. I suppose you think Julia has better skating skills, interpretation and transitions than Mao? Mao won because despite her mistakes she had a difficult program with 5 jumps landed and she is more mature than Julia as a skater.

1) Mao underrotated 3 jumps in her SP as well so her lead was already too big in that part of the competition.
2) I agree that Mao is a more mature skater but her lead over Julia shouldn't be that high (8 points) when she doesn't skate and well and Julia does skate well.

David21

On the Ice
She did not give up the pcs bullets because of the fall. If she had a total breakdown we could discuss then. Adelina on the other hand abandoned selling her program and her mistakes disrupted her presentation a lot. Also probably Mao would have got over 70s in pcs if not of these mistakes. And the rest of her program was fantastic.

I'm okay with the scoring of Adelina in the LP (not in the SP) compared to Mao. It's the score Julia got compared to Mao I have a problem with. :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The underrotation calls were shockingly accurate here. I think Mao's jumps were properly scored after getting to see replays. The only jump call that I think was wrong in this Ladies LP was Ashley's second 3Flip. That jump was fine, it was actually the 2T in combination that was underrotated.

However, Mao's final spin shouldn't have been called Level 4. She didn't get low enough down into basic sit position in that combination spin. In general her GOE on spins and even steps is too high. And of course the PCS were much too high for that performance.