Record Breaker
You guys are gonna laugh, but I would have had the results:

1.) Julia
2.) Mao
3.) Elena
4.) Ashley
5.) Anna
6.) Adelina

but maybe I'm crazy. I thought the "babies" were all undermarked in the FS. JUst my 2 cents

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

1.) Julia
2.) Mao
3.) Elena
4.) Ashley
5.) Anna
6.) Adelina

That's exactly how I would have placed them as well, for the LP. Asada had enough cushion after the SP to deserve an overall win, though.

Radionova impressed me with how well she attacked her programs, the solidity of her edges, and her dance ability. Despite the fall, this was her best performance of the season so far. She is better than Wagner on virtually all of the PCS areas in the LP, her jump layout is more difficult, and she made less mistakes. Politics is the only reason she was placed behind. 14 year old girl who isn't an eligible senior vs. the USA #1 skating relatively well.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Bright side for Wagner: no hip pointer/injury this time!

Better here than in Sochi at least. Don't want to peak too soon, but at least she avoided disaster (i.e. didn't finish last).

I know I'm gonna get it for saying this, but - I think on the world stage, to some degree Wagner still remains the "almost girl".

Sort of depends on how you look at her history. I think some of us expected Wagner to fade after 2010 and instead she has reached new heights. I'm impressed that she's considered an Olympic medal contender - no matter how outside her chances might (or might not be). I'm happy for her 3rd place here. She held her own. Some people were saying she should skip the GPF because she would be upstaged by the Russian girls and it would look bad. Didn't happen. She's still a force, even if she did make mistakes. I don't think she can afford to make mistakes in Sochi if she expects to have a prayer of medaling against Yuna, Mao, Julia, etc but that's always been the case for Ashley.

I know Ashley's artistry seems a bit learned compared to skaters like Mao but it looks polished all the same. I guess what I'm trying to say is that being the "almost girl" on the international stage is pretty impressive in itself for Ashley considering her struggle to even get to top rungs of the international stage. And she still has a chance to be more than the "almost girl."

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

1.) Julia
2.) Mao
3.) Elena
4.) Ashley
5.) Anna
6.) Adelina

but maybe I'm crazy. I thought the "babies" were all undermarked in the FS. JUst my 2 cents

I would have been perfectly fine with those results except that I'd still swap Adelina and Anna in 5th/6th. To me Anna has great jumps but still has a long way to go otherwise versus Adelina.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I would have been perfectly fine with those results except that I'd still swap Adelina and Anna in 5th/6th. To me Anna has great jumps but still has a long way to go otherwise versus Adelina.

Agree but Adelina's FS was a total mess whereas Anna's was fine and quite strong technically until the last 30 seconds. Adelina's SP score was deserved, maybe a bit generous considering she got 68 with a 3t-3t and 3f (no lutz, easiest 3-3 combo) but I felt her PCS scores in the FS were too high for that trainwreck of a skate she had. Also Ashley is far superior to Elena in terms of artistry but again, I felt Elena's FS was technically quite a bit stronger than Ashley and that the TES edge should have been enough to make up her PCS gap.

elif

Medalist
Agree but Adelina's FS was a total mess whereas Anna's was fine and quite strong technically until the last 30 seconds. Adelina's SP score was deserved, maybe a bit generous considering she got 68 with a 3t-3t and 3f (no lutz, easiest 3-3 combo) but I felt her PCS scores in the FS were too high for that trainwreck of a skate she had. Also Ashley is far superior to Elena in terms of artistry but again, I felt Elena's FS was technically quite a bit stronger than Ashley and that the TES edge should have been enough to make up her PCS gap.

Judges just played safe I think. Adelina skated early in the short program and her perfect performance got 7.57 for skating skills. In the free program she skated after Pogorilaya, Radionova, Lipnitskaia and Wagner, her performance which has two fall got 7.71 for skating skills.:eek: I'm surprised at the short, Pogorilaya got higher PCS than Radionova. Because all year and the previous year too, Radionova got higher PCS. Just as expected judges awarded higher mark at the free because Radionova skated after Pogorilaya. :rolleye:

caelum

On the Ice
Overall, the event was a bit of a mess. The only skater that didn't seem particularly off her game (despite a fall) was Radionova.

A really disappointing outing for Mao. She clearly hasn't completely mastered the 3A, though she obviously can't forgo the jump and have a chance at Olympic Gold, so she's stuck. I think this events clarify she shouldn't attempt two 3A's in her program unless she absolutely has to at Oly. I'd only "go" for it if she skates after Kim in the FS and Kim goes nearly perfect. She just generally seems incapable of giving a completely clean FS, which is really unfortunate since she's obviously so talented.

Lipnitskaia did well enough, but it wasn't as good as her Skate Canada outing. I'm still really turned off by the crass emotional manipulation from the red coat + Schindler's List gimmick, but I can't really hold Julia accountable for that, given her age. That's on her coaches. I did think she was somewhat underscored on her PCS - especially her choreography and interpretation marks. If Ashley can get low 8s for her uninspiring skate, I don't see why Julia can't. I know some people hit Julia for looking "young" or "junior" in her program, and I agree somewhat, but I vastly prefer that to her trying to put on some "mature" performance and looking like a little girl who decided to play with mommy's makeup. The lutz is a perpetual problem for her, but it works for her point-wise even with the edge deduction, since if she switched it to something she could probably get clean like a 3F-3T she probably wouldn't get +2s in GOE. This is tangential, but I wonder if the pressure has really ramped up on Julia as Russia's hope for a medal. To me she skated a bit tighter than usual, as though she was more nervous. At first I thought that could be jitters coming off her performance at the last grand prix, but then she skated pretty good, not fabulous, but good. But her and her coaches seemed so disappointed after the skate - completely different from the reaction to her Skate Canada performance. She has established herself as the 3rd best skater on the scene aside from Mao and Yuna. To be clear, I mean this in terms of competitive output, not whether she is better or worse abstractly than some other skater. Yet her and her team seemed so disappointed. I wonder if she's facing mounting pressure now.

I didn't watch the entire performance of Sotnikova because it's depressing. She has potential, but can't get it together.

R.D.

Record Breaker
...I guess what I'm trying to say is that being the "almost girl" on the international stage is pretty impressive in itself for Ashley considering her struggle to even get to top rungs of the international stage.

Good point.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty

1.) Julia
2.) Mao
3.) Elena
4.) Ashley
5.) Anna
6.) Adelina

I would have place them also in this order for the result :)

minze

Medalist
No you are not crazy but question. Did you watch the sp? Remember how many points ahead Mao was? And doesn't the sp count for something? Did Julia have a perfect LP?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm fine with the standings. I think that Mao deserved to win overall but should have lost the FS to Lipnitskaia. Same with Wagner... Should have been slightly behind Radionova in the LP but still 3rd. Sotnikova and Pogo were pretty bad in the FS but with Sot's superior SP I would have still had her ahead of Pogo.