Ladies FS - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS - 2013-14 Grand Prix Final

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I still don't get how Mao's TES score was so near Julia's..:no:I think Julia is a clear winner in the long! Reputation or not she was the best! So either she was underscored or Mao was overscored: For once I'm happy that the Olympics are in Russia so if all the field skates this bad and Julia not...The winner won't be decided by huuuuuuuge PCS boost or smth

Because the scoring in Rostelecom Cup made so much sense with Julia bombing and getting 118+ points...:sarcasm:
PCS, 8 points between Julia and Mao are right. Julia has many, many aspects to improve and she'll get there because she is young. Mao worked so hard to become the skater she is today, to project, interpret, skating skills. She is just much better than Julia is today, as a skater. Plus, Julia did not skate like she did in Canada

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CarneAsada said:
You can fall off your chair now. Her first 3A got credited.

Yes, just pulled myself up from the floor again. Ouch!

Adelina had a tough skate, and as a fan I'm sorry for her, but... girl how did you manage to get exactly the 2 toughest jumping passes out there (rotated 3Lz-3Lo included!!) and just fail every other relatively simple jumping pass? Man, that's kind of an achievement again ^^"

ranjake

Final Flight
Julia obviously won the LP but Mao did deserve to win overall with the SP.

I would have put Radionova above Wagner.

Bronze in the team event, sure. She won't win an individual medal with her LP as it is now, unless Kostner + both Russian girls skate poorly.

Maybe. I know you know more about skating than me (I'm NOT being sarcastic :) I just think if she gets some help, she should feel good from her scores here that she has a shot if she's perfect. I love Ashley's SP- I think her LP needs work, but she must have a good idea of what she needs to do now. I'm feeling so badly that Russia has only 2 spots for the ladies :(

micnow

Rinkside
Its a shame that Adelina got the same PCS score with that disaster performance like Julia. Julia is so underscored. Is this really a punishment for her (Julias) performance two weeks ago?

hurrah

Medalist
I believe she has pretty good chances with winning over the puberty monster. I don't think she'll grow much more + she already has very long legs.

Yeah, looking at the podium shot, she's about Ashley Wagner's height now, so she should start growing into a woman's body within the next year or so. Lucky Julia, that she gets to compete at Sochi in that golden interim.

Redstone

Rinkside
Its a shame that Adelina got the same PCS score with that disaster performance like Julia. Julia is so underscored. Is this really a punishment for her (Julias) performance two weeks ago?
I really like Mao, so don't shoot me, but I do think the relatevely low PCS for Julia was a cushion for Mao. Adelina was given the usual.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I still think Ashley needs a better ending for her SP.

I think her LP needs work, but she must have a good idea of what she needs to do now.

This is the part that worries me. I don't think she or her coaches fully realize what she should be doing to push herself to the top of the pack.

It's frustrating for me because I've liked her a lot ever since 2007 and she has potential that isn't be utilized. I just want the best for her.

ranjake

Final Flight

It's hard for me to judge because I think Julia was overscored last week. Today was so much better technically and so much more understated emoting, too. Adelina was NOT good today. Hopefully will be her wake-up call for Russian Nationals. Which reminds me- how can I in the US watch Russian Nationals?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I really like Mao, so don't shoot me, but I do think the relatevely low PCS for Julia was a cushion for Mao. Adelina was given the usual.

Adelina bombing will get no less than 60 :disapp:
has she been clean her PCS would be in 64-65 range

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I don't think Mao's LP is doing for her to be honest. I don't think the music is inspiring at all for what she can do. :scratch: Too much Bells for me. And the first minute or so of her program today was empty because she attempted two 3As.

I really do wish she had chosen something more innovative or fiery for Olympic season. Something to fire her up for the LP. Throughout her carrier it's been a bit too same-same in terms of her musical choices. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death and she has wonderful qualities but she could show that she's a bit more versatile than that.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Really sad that Sotnikova got to the GPF solely because her competitions happened to be easier. Suzuki would have done much better.

ranjake

Final Flight
No, that actually makes sense. As I said to "Blades", I rely on lots of you to guide me through, especially technically, but, even though I love Mao, too, and would love to see her get that OGM, she looked tight in the warm-up, I was a nervous wreck; and then many of the jumps didn't look great, though she fought on well. Julia looked technically superior to Mao today to my eye.

hurrah

Medalist
On a positive note, this is the first performance of the season where Mao succeeded all her jump passes in the second half of the program. :clap:
Okay, okay, the 2-loops were under-rotated.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I don't think Mao's LP is doing for her to be honest. I don't think the music is inspiring at all for what she can do. :scratch: Too much Bells for me. And the first minute or so of her program today was empty because she attempted two 3As.

I really do wish she had chosen something more innovative or fiery for Olympic season. Something to fire her up for the LP. Throughout her carrier it's been a bit too same-same in terms of her musical choices. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death and she has wonderful qualities but she could show that she's a bit more versatile than that.
I have to agree. Honestly, I was furious when I heard of her music choices this season. She won me over completely with the way she performed her SP here, but I'm still waiting for a performance of Rach 2 that convinces me; right now it feels like Swan of Moscow, or Bells Lake, where instead of taking the greatest strengths of both, she took the deficiencies of both (two long 3A setups, no big spiral sequence, doesn't turn on the performance until the risky tricks are out of the way) and plugged them into one program.

ranjake

Final Flight
I still think Ashley needs a better ending for her SP.

This is the part that worries me. I don't think she or her coaches fully realize what she should be doing to push herself to the top of the pack.

It's frustrating for me because I've liked her a lot ever since 2007 and she has potential that isn't be utilized. I just want the best for her.
I like her, too and I like her 'fight'. I'm sure she's less naturally gifted than Gracie, but I don't TRUST Gracie at all. There's lots of empty room in Ashley's LP- and she HAS to train the end better if she has any sort of chance. We need to get a message to her Coaches :) I was surprised that the International judges gave Ashley that PCS score with that program, which, even IF perfect (I don't think she's ever quite been perfect with it, has she?) has lots of room for points. They need to up the ante. The US ladies have been so uncharacteristically crappy for the last decade that getting Bronze in Ladies' at the GPF in an Olympic year seems like a minor miracle. But without Yuna or Carolina :(

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I have to agree. Honestly, I was furious when I heard of her music choices this season. She won me over completely with the way she performed her SP here, but I'm still waiting for a performance of Rach 2 that convinces me; right now it feels like Swan of Moscow, or Bells Lake, where instead of taking the greatest strengths of both, she took the deficiencies of both (two long 3A setups, no big spiral sequence, doesn't turn on the performance until the risky tricks are out of the way) and plugged them into one program.

Agreed. She did a wonderful exhibition a quad back, I think it was to Caprice (?). Choosing something like that would have been amazing. Her LP music kind of just... swallows the mood for some reason.