Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Plushenko or Kovtun?

Plushenko or Kovtun?

I thought Russia had two slots form the men. This is dreadful. Kovtun can out quad Plush, much younger, also talented. Do they go with a youth-future champion or a national Hero? I know Plush has hadn many Olys, but....how will they decide this if both skate very well? I feel bad for whoever stays home. Plush will be a big part of the show. Misahin says he is doing well.

Will it be decided at their nationals? Will Europeans matter. I want both!!!

I still would give Plushenko the nod at this point. Even though he's a shadow of his 2006 self, and not even as good as in 2010, he's much more consistent than Kovtun at this point. Kovtun skated a good SP at Rostelecom and then basically bombed the LP. He did well at Euros last year and then badly at Worlds. With Plushenko I think they're ensured at least a top-10 finish while with Kovtun it could be 5th or 15th.

Tripping on the Podium
    I hope Plushenko will be good enough so that it will be decided for him to go to Olympics. Kovtun is only real opponent and not very consistent for result. He gets a bronze at Sochi it will be wonderful ending for his career.

No one really knows how well Plush is training. We haven't even seen his shadow. The more Mishin hypes him, the more suspicious and desperate it looks. Kovtun is sideshow of a sideshow.

Custom Title
    Kovtun is the future of Russian Men Figure Skating, but unfortunately, I don't think it's his time yet. If Plushenko is healthy, he can probably secure a higher placement at the OG than Kovtun on the strength of his consistency and reputation.

Plushy if he's healthy. Otherwise whoever comes out on top at a fairly judged Russian nationals with no politicking, as unlikely as it is seeing what can be done to a grand prix event let alone a domestic one. Sorry but I find Kovtun very hard to watch. Can't stand his posture on his jump entries. He's the reason the Russian men only have one spot.

Probably Plushenko. His name attracts crowd in Russia. Kovtun has not made a name for himself yet.

Custom Title
    Has Plushenko competed enough since the last Olympics to judge that he is as consistent as he was in the past?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    No one really knows how well Plush is training. We haven't even seen his shadow. The more Mishin hypes him, the more suspicious and desperate it looks. Kovtun is sideshow of a sideshow.
    He was seen at Volvo Cup. That's more than shadow. It's actual doing a sp and lp.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Has Plushenko competed enough since the last Olympics to judge that he is as consistent as he was in the past?
    2010- Japan open
    2011- Russian nationals
    2012- euros, Japan open, Russian nationals
    2013- euros WD, Volvo cup

Not a lot competitions but you have one big international success.

I would to see Kovtun get the spot (and I am not anti-Plushy)!

Custom Title
    I have never been convinced that Plushy will even be at the Olympics as a competitor. In fact, I would be surprised, VERY surprised, if he is. I'm not buying this Mishin hype machine. It's Kovtun this year with a top ten performance and then, barring injury, Kovtun vying for gold in 2018.

Custom Title
    My prediction: It will be "both"... Plushenko will be nominated, with Kovtun as the Alternate... Plushenko will withdraw due to injury, and Kovtun will be the one who actually competes...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    My prediction: It will be "both"... Plushenko will be nominated, with Kovtun as the Alternate... Plushenko will withdraw due to injury, and Kovtun will be the one who actually competes...
    Same. Agreed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    I can see this scenario. It is hard to say good bye just ask Johnny and Alissa.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Thanks to Mao88 as usual, we can find its answer Plushenko at the most recent Volvo Cup:

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    The king has let my jaws dropped once again.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast