Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best strategy for amazing Asada to challenge incredible Kim at the Games?

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    There is a difference between not having and not including some jumps. if Mao (or any other skater) didn't have a jump, she wouldn't be able to put the jump back in her layout and pull it out and put it back in when she felt like it. She had this jumps as a junior as a senior, before she began reworking her technique and after!
    Jaylee said in her jump layout, not whether Mao actually had the ability to do the jump. Basically the same as your saying "not including".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Yuna would be well advised to compete at least once more before Sochi. It's expecting a lot of her to not hardly compete at all again and be like she was last season.
    Well, Jammers, it looks like your much repeated advice is not going unheeded. Korean media has confirmed that Yuna registered for Korean Nationals over the weekend.

They will be held January 3-5.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Though your 2A-3T idea makes me wonder if it is possible for Mao to do 2A-3T, 3F, and 3A in the short program. That would be kind of funny.
    Yep, she could do that!

LOL, now I want Mao to set a record for most 2A-3T combinations performed in one competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Yep, she could do that!

LOL, now I want Mao to set a record for most 2A-3T combinations performed in one competition.
    Hmm... Seems I'm unclear as to how a 2A+3T is allowed in the SP. Is it because Mao is planning a solo 3A? If a lady can't do a solo 3A, then she would need a solo 2A, and since she can't repeat the 2A in the SP, she can't do a 2A+3T. Am I understanding that right?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Hmm... Seems I'm unclear as to how a 2A+3T is allowed in the SP. Is it because Mao is planning a solo 3A? If a lady can't do a solo 3A, then she would need a solo 2A, and since she can't repeat the 2A in the SP, she can't do a 2A+3T. Am I understanding that right?
    So does that mean: 3A, 2A+3T, and 3Lo? She can do that?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    So does that mean: 3A, 2A+3T, and 3Lo? She can do that?
    I think so! But then she will be in trouble in case she doubles her planned 3A.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Yep, she could do that!

I think the best part of this is imagining Scott Hamilton screaming "FIRST WOMAN IN HISTORY TO LAND THREE 2AXEL-3TOES IN A COMPETITION!"

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    I think the best part of this is imagining Scott Hamilton screaming "FIRST WOMAN IN HISTORY TO LAND THREE 2AXEL-3TOES IN A COMPETITION!"

Oh crap...I can totally hear Scott repeating your words verbatim if that happens.

Custard Title
    It is evident that the two 3A strategy has not been working so far for Asada and moreover a silver for a sloppy skate is not guaranteed. Unless she can land the layout 9/10 times in practice, she really should go back to the 8 triples with 1 modification (changes in bold):
    3A
    3F-3Lo
    3Lz
    2A-3T
    3S
    3Lo-2Lo-2Lo
    3F

Her 3Loop is quite steady and I don't remember her missing the 3 jump combination with an initial 3Loop on the occasions she's tried it. If she doesn't go for the 3-3, she can replace the Lutz with a Loop. The "8 triple plan" is all that she needs - water down if needed, attempt all the jumps if needed.

Custom Title
    Her best strategy is to skate clean (meaning construct a program she can actually do without mistakes) and hope Yu Na doesn't.

Banned
    Why? The scoring is not set up to penalize her properly. Mao scores higher with her flawed programs than she would if she watered down the content and went clean.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Why? The scoring is not set up to penalize her properly. Mao scores higher with her flawed programs than she would if she watered down the content and went clean.
    Not so. The scoring will not penalize you (not severely) if you rotate all the jumps and your only errors are things like stepouts or touchdown of the free foot. Doubling, popping, underrotating jumps, all those will kill the BV. And at Nationals, Mao did just that. Look at Mao's NHK Trophy score. If she got credit for the 3A she'd be above 140 for 7 triples (one 3A, no 3-3). She might not get credit for jumps of that quality elsewhere, but she's done better quality. I think a clean 7 triple program is not out of reach for her. 8 triples or two 3A layouts are probably out of reach, but a clean 7 triple program is doable and it would get her much higher than 130.

Custom Title
    Mao should do this.

3A
    2A-3T
    2A-3T-2Lo
    --
    3fLz
    3S
    3Lo
    3F-2Lo

If she pops the first 3A, she can do 3A second time,
    1A
    3A
    2A-3T-2Lo
    ---
    3fLz
    3S
    3Lo-2Lo
    3F-2Lo

Even the second scenario would be enough to give her a silver medal.

If she pops twice
    1A
    1A
    3A
    ----
    3fLz
    3S
    3Lo-2Lo
    3F-2Lo-2Lo

This should be enough for bronze as long as she doesn't UR anything else.

Banned
    Jumping isn't even her best attribute, usually I think her step sequences are what I like best about her programs. She should concentrate less on the jumps. I'd even go so far as to say she should even do only six triples with one 3A. Concentrate more on what she does best and make it easier for her to land one huge cracking 3A per program like she did at 2010 Olympics.

(I know she did 2 in the FS then, but it was the first one that had wow factor)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast