Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How tired are you of footwork sequences that take 30+ seconds to complete?

Custom Title
    Footwork sequences can look long and laborious, but they're an important feature for distinguishing skaters' skills outside of big elements. You can tell a lot about a skater's edge control, performance abilities, and ability to handle difficulty from their footwork sequence. As much as they can damper a performance, it forces skaters to show the fundamentals of figure skating. Kinda like the compulsory sequence in the short dance... a bit annoyingly repetitive to see, but integral to the sport on some level.

If anything I'm annoyed by spirals being shorter... they used to be a highlight -- now they're relegated to 3 seconds of a 10 second ChSp.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Yes!! Bring back longer spirals. I really miss the wow factor that a really good one could bring.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    What's even more annoying are the super long and laborious side by side spins in pairs. Gone are the days when holding one beautiful position was sufficient in side by side spins (or any spins, for that matter). Also, the lift positions (in both pairs and dance) now look awkward and often downright painful. Same thing with death spirals. I actually don't mind the longer footwork. While we're on the subject of annoying requirements, PLEASE revise the rules such that a Biellmann position is not necessary for getting the highest levels for laybacks. Most skaters just can't make it look good. Give me a Hughes/Nikodinov/Cohen layback any day. If I never see a Biellmann again, I will be very happy.

To summarize, spins, as well as pair and dance lifts, are currently far more annoying to me than the footwork.

Custom Title
    I'd be all for adding a choreographic spin a la Ice Dancing to the singles events, as long as it DIDN'T require 29783423987434343 changes of position. A single position beautifully held can be so satisfying to see, y'know?

I tend to agree with CanadianSkaterGuy on the importance of footwork sequences though. Perhaps a good compromise would be to require a lengthy one in the short and a far less lengthy one in the free.

I'm actually a fan of IJS, but I've always thought one of the main problems is they take a good idea like "Hey we should give more emphasis to footwork sequences" and then stomp on it by codifying the points TOO MUCH. Does that make sense?

As always, YMMV...

Yeah today's footwork is like watching 70s school figures on steroids and and acid.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Footwork sequences can look long and laborious, but they're an important feature for distinguishing skaters' skills outside of big elements. You can tell a lot about a skater's edge control, performance abilities, and ability to handle difficulty from their footwork sequence. As much as they can damper a performance, it forces skaters to show the fundamentals of figure skating. Kinda like the compulsory sequence in the short dance... a bit annoyingly repetitive to see, but integral to the sport on some level.
    I don't think that's what's happening. It used to be that L4s were rare and even L3 weren't something automatic, but skaters, coaches and choreographers have learned how to tick off the points and high levels are common. I'd rather switch all step sequences to a choreo step/no level format, and differentiate even more based on GOEs (including having judges use the negative part of the range, which they never do). If ice dancers are only given a specific time frame to show what they can do with a lift, well, I expect the top skaters to be able to show their abilities even within a limited amount of time. That might be a better test of creativity and ability that what we're currently seeing. I also want to see edges held longer. Blade skills are not just about changing directions and edges non-stop.

Or have really preset steps, like the compulsory patterns in the SD.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't think that's what's happening. It used to be that L4s were rare and even L3 weren't something automatic, but skaters, coaches and choreographers have learned how to tick off the points and high levels are common.
    Exactly. Since the rules no longer require the skater to create a clear shape on the ice, and since they have unlimited time to perform the sequence, it's not really a great test of blade control. Of course it's still difficult to get a Level 4, but it would be even more difficult to get Level 4 with my proposed rules and the programs would look FAR better and allow for better musicality.

Custom Title
    I hate the footwork now too. I really loved watching Kurt or Yuka fly down the ice doing intricate steps in both directions. To me, that's what footwork should be about.

Custom Title
    To answer the question of the OP: Extremely tired.
    I especially dislike the retrogressions in a step sequence and when there is an unrecognizable pattern. It doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    While we're on the subject of annoying requirements, PLEASE revise the rules such that a Biellmann position is not necessary for getting the highest levels for laybacks.

A biellmann position isn't required for a Level 4 layback. It's just that the skaters are chosing that position to get the level up.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ Watching Carolina skating live is a privilege.

My most intense example of endless footwork must have been Leonova's Carribean Pirate one. It looked like two minutes, also the seasons the upper body movements had the required sweeping the floor with ones hand were my worst. I dont like pairs sequences at all these days.
    Last edited by seniorita; 12-07-2013 at 04:15 PM.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    A biellmann position isn't required for a Level 4 layback. It's just that the skaters are chosing that position to get the level up.
    Oh ok. So, what other ways are there to increase layback levels that the ladies aren't utilizing as much? I am sick and tired of EVERY lady doing a Biellmann in EVERY program. Sigh.

Banned
    I agree. I am tired with the super long footwork sequences and some of the overly long spins that need 4 specific positions or edges to get the levels. They need to change this.

Custom Title
    I love long sequences when performed by my most loved skaters but not when they involve cold, inexpressive competitors.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    Oh ok. So, what other ways are there to increase layback levels that the ladies aren't utilizing as much? I am sick and tired of EVERY lady doing a Biellmann in EVERY program. Sigh.

The ways are the same as for any other spin...e.g. ladies could do start from backwards or do a change of edge during the layback spin, but since doing an ugly biellmann is easier, they are doing the biellmann.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Mao's long step sequences this year are highlights of great skating to me. If step sequences are done well and hit the music, then fine, skate them out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast