Poor kid, get well soon!

Banned
    so depressing, Tuks career might go downwards further from here
    shades of Rachel Flatt's career there

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I don't think it's comparable, Sky. Rachael was older and was already devoting herself to university studies. I think Liza lives and breathes for skating, and she's younger and has no other chronic injuries that I know of. (Remember that Rachael has that ongoing back problem.)

I don't know what the prognosis is for this kind of surgery (assuming that surgery would be needed to reattach and strengthen the ligament, and some form of less invasive microsurgery could be possible, as it was for gymnast Mary Lou Retton just before the 1984 Olympics), but I don't think this injury is as dire as an ACL knee injury, and look how Daisuke came back from that injury. Don't give up on Liza yet!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I don't think it's comparable, Sky. Rachael was older and was already devoting herself to university studies. I think Liza lives and breathes for skating, and she's younger and has no other chronic injuries that I know of. (Remember that Rachael has that ongoing back problem.)

I don't know what the prognosis is for this kind of surgery (assuming that surgery would be needed to reattach and strengthen the ligament, and some form of less invasive microsurgery could be possible, as it was for gymnast Mary Lou Retton just before the 1984 Olympics), but I don't think this injury is as dire as an ACL knee injury, and look how Daisuke came back from that injury. Don't give up on Liza yet!
    Oh Olympia, don't try to reason with sky...especially not about Liza.

Custom Title
    I hope she gets better and that her coaches are taking care of her psychologically. To cap off a bad year she gets a pretty serious injury, it's got to be tough knowing how deep the Russian ladies are.

She may not be my favorite skater but I would hate to see any skater's (or any other athlete) competitive career end prematurely due to injury.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Anyone know what the recovery time for a figure skater is for that type of injury?

*an interesting note that they said the second spot has yet to be announced for Worlds, is there some reason to suggest that Lipnitskaia might not be going?
    I had a torn ankle ligament back in my skating days - also done by a silly fall doing nothing. I think that's probably the likeliest way to incur that injury on skates, since you're not really prepared to fall like that and sometimes the blade catches in the ice sideways while the rest of you keeps rotating weirdly. I wore a cast for about 2 months and needed maybe another 6 weeks or 2 months of off-ice rehab before getting back on the ice, and then taking some time before getting back into jumping. For me it was easily the hardest injury to recover from - I had some broken bones, strains, stress fractures, etc., but never any knee problems, so can't comment on how it rates compared to ACL, etc. I imagine not as bad. It wasn't terribly painful, but the weak and unstable feeling of the ankle made it hard to trust jumping for a good while (mine, like Liza's, was on my landing leg). It probably set me back about a year in terms of skating progress, and to this day never quite regained that ankle strength. But that was a long time ago and hopefully Liza has good access to physical therapy, etc. It also depends a lot on how bad the tear was; if it's small it might be a much easier recovery than that. In any case it'll help if she takes her time getting back; maybe she could even use it to her advantage by spending a lot of time working on stroking before getting back to the jumps.

Custom Title
    aren't you a ray of sunshine

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flyushka View Post
    entire post
    Thanks for your insights. I've always heard that soft tissue injuries (ligaments, tendons, spinal discs, and so on) are tougher to treat and recover from than bone fractures, unless it's a really bad fracture requiring reconstruction. But these days, sports medicine has become more sophisticated, which gives athletes a better chance, I hope. Fingers are crossed that Tukt has access to expert treatment and has the best possible chance to recover fully.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    And I am really angry with Mishin - he didn't even attempt to help Liza! Could he not have opened the gate sooner, rather than leave her hanging onto the boards doubled up in pain?! Like, even when he did open it, he didn't even attempt to help her off the ice!
    I know! He even had that brief annoyed look, complete with hand gesture, before he finally open the gate. He had more to say too after the gate was opened. I saw it, Mishin, however brief it was.

That really was a weird fall. She landed the 2A3T with ease, and then a stumble on a back crossover. Did her boots came loose or something? Seems like the pain got worse as seconds go by, she was still able to skate after getting up, but by the time she got to the boards, she couldn't push any pressure on that foot.

I think Liz is the best among Julia and Adelina! I loved her during her debut during the GP Series! She just lost that consistency.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    aren't you a ray of sunshine
    sadly it is not a secret
    type google: Tuktamysheva and the word weight comes after the suggested search

that shows many people search and see Tuk has weight issues
    but Mishin is partly to blame for this too as Tuk loves ice cream and always drink shakes in starbucks
    he did not monitor her eating habits a a coach should

Tripping on the Podium
    sadly it is not a secret
    It is not working for my google. I only get following suggest: figure skater, father, triple axel, 2012, 2013, twitter, skate canada, alina, liza, wiki...

I think google suggest work with your previous data, so it only give proof to your own obsession with ice cream, I think. But even I like ice cream, I don't get weight suggestion.

Custom Title
    sadly it is not a secret

but Mishin is partly to blame for this too as Tuk loves ice cream and always drink shakes in starbucks
    I'm dreadfully sorry that the Professor does not starve Liza like you think he should. /sarcasm

Custom Title
    sadly it is not a secret

????? Get a life and stop stalking her Instagram to see what drink she orders at Starbucks

Rinkside
    sadly it is not a secret

Just a clarification about Google -- the search shows "weight" after her name for you because of your previous search history. This doesn't show that many people search about her "weight issues." It just indicates that YOU search about her weight.

I've been a lurker on this forum long enough to know you're going to call me a troll because I don't post often, but I'm expecting it already

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast