Did Mao and Hanyu qualify for the Olympics this weekend? | Golden Skate

Did Mao and Hanyu qualify for the Olympics this weekend?

minze

Medalist
Are their spots secure after this wins? If so? Can they skip nationals?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am 110% sure they are on the team regardless what they do at Nationals , and yes both could skip if they wanted to probably, although I see no reason why either would barring injury.

inskate

On the Ice
Are their spots secure after this wins? If so? Can they skip nationals?

No, out of Nationals, out of Olympics. Participation is mandatory.

That said, according to the current selection criteria Mao and Yuzuru are the most likely to make the Olympic team (barring a serious injury, knock on wood); they won the GPF, they have highest season's best ISU score and the highest ISU ranking.

The Olympic berths will be given to:

1st berth: winner of the Japanese Nationals
2nd berth: selected from the 2nd place winner at Nationals, the 3rd place winner at Nationals, and the skater who has placed the highest on the GPF podium
3rd berth: selected from whoever qualified for the 2nd berth, but was rejected, the top 3 Japanese skaters in the ISU ranking at the moment of the end of the Japanese Nationals and the owners of the top 3 ISU season's best score.

Cherryy

On the Ice
http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2013/130619_FS_senkokijun.pdf (in Japanese)

They must participate in the nationals according to this criteria. It says that participants of the Olympics are selected from the participants of the Nationals. So they can not skipp it.

But what if they were injured? As inskate wrote they have the highest placement in GPF, highest score and are the highest in the ranking, so not letting them go to Olympics would be the most stupid thing. I would hate for them to have to skip the nationals, but that's even interesting and I'd like to know, what would happen if they could not skate at nationals.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Jfed will make a lot of money at Nats so they have to show. If they feign illness, their spots will be on the line.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Essentially they've stamped their tickets. They would have to massively bomb at Nationals or get injured to put their berths in jeopardy.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
They're obligated to skate at the nationals in order to drive up TV ratings- I mean demonstrate their patriotic duty. Barring injury or scandal, they're on the Olympic team.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Even before GPF, I would have said I'd be very surprised to see either of them stay home. So yes, barring any ailments or emergencies they'll both be there.

Cherryy

On the Ice
Mao skips Four Continents in January.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20131209-00000031-spnannex-spo

It seems to be a done deal. She's likely to do the SP in the team competition.
Probably same for Hanyu.

Thanks for the info! I think these are both good decisions for her personally, but of course for the Japan to medal in the olympic team event it would be the best if she also skated the LP there, though it would be too tiring for her I guess. Skipping 4cc is smart - she has already had lots of competitions and needs more time.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Wow, she's skipping 4CC for the first time since 2008. But it's smart; she's finally learned that she needs to not tire herself out.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CarneAsada said:
Wow, she's skipping 4CC for the first time since 2008. But it's smart; she's finally learned that she needs to not tire herself out.

Maybe her injury has something to do with that too... makes me extra glad she's skipping 4CC! Japan has 3 other ladies to send anyway.

Peach

Rinkside
I'm pretty sure regardless of how well Mao does at Nationals, her spot is guaranteed. Even if she completely bombs (knock on wood) for some reason, I'm pretty sure the jfed would never ever give her spot to someone else. She's really the only realistic medal contender for Sochi (for ladies). No, not even Suzuki (sorry Suzuki fans). Anyway, the question is, who are the other two ladies? Probably Suzuki and Kanako or possibly Miki.

minze

Medalist
Thanks for the info! I think these are both good decisions for her personally, but of course for the Japan to medal in the olympic team event it would be the best if she also skated the LP there, though it would be too tiring for her I guess. Skipping 4cc is smart - she has already had lots of competitions and needs more time.

Japan has 1% chance to medal at the team event, because unfortutnatly their strenght are singles and that is not enough. You have more well rounded teams like Canada , America and Russia that will most likely medal. My money is on Russia. They have the best pair team, good dance team and good singles