If Volosozhar & Trankov were to somehow not win the OGM, might they stay for 2018? | Golden Skate

If Volosozhar & Trankov were to somehow not win the OGM, might they stay for 2018?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Volosozhar & Trankov were to somehow not win the OGM, might they stay for 2018?

While even after today I still expect V&T will likely win the OGM in Sochi, there is atleast the possability they wont to the extent it is worth discussing the possability without breaking into a fit of laughter. So if V&T somehow dont win the OGM in Sochi do you think they would stay for 2018? I think they would. They seem like real fighters and I couldnt see them retiring without the OGM if it came to that. Which would be great for the pairs event if that happened, and almost makes me wonder whether I want them to win the gold in Sochi or not as all 3 of S&S, V&T, and P&T retiring would be a HUGE blow to pairs skating, and those other two definitely are.

Redstone

Rinkside
There were interviews in which they pretty much said the wanted to stay in any case. AFAIr, there was only one interview in which Tatiana said she wasn't sure because she really wants a baby.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
There were interviews in which they pretty much said the wanted to stay in any case. AFAIr, there was only one interview in which Tatiana said she wasn't sure because she really wants a baby.

Arent they a couple now? I wonder if they would have the baby together.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I dont know for how long if its until 2018
but after the Sochi Olympics, yes in interviews they plan on continuing

Sara

On the Ice
This is GREAT news if they are planning to continue their career!! Wow, I somehow thought that they continue only until Sochi. They are a very adorable couple and great skaters. They're also lovely with their fans and always remember to thank them (they have lots of fans in Japan for example). I noticed from Max's instagram that there's a Japanese girl who follows them to many competitions and gives them really adorable and creative presents :) Japanese skating fans are amazing! No wonder why skaters love competing and skating in shows in Japan.

If I remember correct we've discussed earlier who are the ones retiring after Olympics. I'd really appreciate if someone could post here the link to that thread!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tatiana is 27 and Maxim is 30. They would be 31 and 34 in 2018. They could continue, but the possibility of career-ending injury grows with age.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Well Pian and Tong are in their 30s and they stuck it out, so why not? Shen/Zhao came back at 31 and 36. I would think they'd play it by ear after this year.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think they will stay if they don't win. They are getting older but haven't been together that long. Plus with S/S and P/T retiring (has this been confirmed?), who else is really their competition? Peng/Zhang aren't going to come up that fast and even if the two Canadian teams stay in they will not lose to them if they keep up the same level of skating.

BlackPack

Medalist
As long as they don't skate to Jesus Chris Superstar again, I'd be happy to see them skate any time.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
As long as they don't skate to Jesus Chris Superstar again, I'd be happy to see them skate any time.
:yes::laugh:
31+34=65 is stille being younger than P/T 33+34=67 today, so, yes, they could become the first Pairs team to win two consecutive OGMs since Rodnina/Zaitsev (because we all know that, if S/S and P/T retire, there's no-one that can compete with them, simply because of the PCS)

volotrankov

Rinkside
From what they have recently said in an interview, they want to compete at the 2018 Olympic Games in Korea, whether they win in Sochi or not.

I hope Max and Tanya don't change their mind, after all, is still a long way to go until 2018, but it would be exciting to see them compete. They still feel young, they look young too, and aren't partners for that long, so it would be great to see them show more together. :)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
They add nothing to the sport except questionable PCS and get my blood boiled. So they should retire today.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They add nothing to the sport except questionable PCS and get my blood boiled. So they should retire today.

Really? Nothing to the sport? I get that's your opinion, but V/T are one of the most exciting pairs to come out of Russia in years.

They have some textbook elements... strong lifts, the best 3Tw, huge throws. I only wish they were more ambitious with their SBS jumps and throw choices, but perhaps that's an improvement that we will yet see from them. They're also charming in non-competition/exhibition performances. I continue to dislike their FS this season, but they're also unconventional and like the Germans they experiment with different music and interpretations. Their PCS is monstrous and gives them a rather unfair advantage over the rest of the competition (e.g. P/T should have placed ahead of them at the GPF in the LP) but their quality over most other pairs teams is undeniable. IMO they certainly add much more than "nothing" to the sport.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I used to like them more but don't care for their LP at all. Very uninspired choreography, costumes, etc. He has an ego-it seems to be a male thing with top Russian male anythings-very proud people and rightly so, but too many male devos in the sport from Russia. Tatiana has lovely lines, I think she is a very good pair skater. They certainly are better than the other tat/max from 2006-the most boring/emotionless pair skaters I can recall. And the Chinese should have beaten them-Shen/Zhao more often.

I think the last really beautiful well matched Russian pair were B/S. Anton was so expressive and really was as good as her. I often watched him as she was often expressionless while he was quite the emotive/expressive skater. I really liked B/S despite the errors because they seemed so elegant. I wish the current Tatiana were with a different partner. I don't think their JCS is an Olympic gold program. I prefer S/S this year, but there are so few great pairs these days, we have to take what we can get.

I sure loved the S/P rivalry with B/S and really liked both teams. Canadians don't have a "great" team imho, and I have given up on USA having a great pair. At least we have great ice dancers. For me, pairs is the last thing I watch, and only the top teams as there isn't a lot of depth in that sport these days. I guess with no money, people need sponsors or rich parents to put in the years they need.

Why can't there be another G/G? crazy about each other, and matched up as kids? I know, there will never be another G/G. Too good of a fairytale to happen again.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
V/T have good elements, but they are very much like the Zhangs, but with much worse programs. They haven't done a single program that is worthy of a rewatch.

Their throws, while huge, lead to twofooting all the time. Not a lot of flow coming out.
Their SBS jumps are just ok. Their twist doesn't have that floating effect of Peng and Zhang or Takahashi and Tran. It was just well done, but not that special.

Basically T/M clones. Next!