Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Is Romeo and Juliet working for Ashley?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    This is scarily going into politically incorrect territory but in my neck of the woods a 'butch' woman is usually rather 'masculine' (haircut, clothes, even the way she walks/carries herself), and often tends to be a lesbian. Not that there is anything wrong with that but Ashley doesn't come off as 'butch' in that sense of the word at all. She just comes off as not ice-princessy or girlie-girl but a tough, strong young woman. I thought "Black Swan" was fabulous for her and that is generally a balletic piece. I loved her "Red Violin" persona too.

I do agree with those who say that R&J is all wrong for Ashley. She just does not come off as a 'Juliet' in any sense of the word imo. She's tried hard but it's just not happening. I thought I'd love her program by now but it's just left me cold unfortunately. It doesn't feel genuine or authentic on her.
    I wasn't using the word in your sense. That is why I put it in quotation marks and even noted that I had done so. I can see Ashley skating Joan of Arc or something similar. If the music she is using wasn't associated with R&J, maybe she would be ok. But even with that, I am hard pressed to know what it is she is interpreting. Doesn't seem to be Juliet or the music. I think the comments of Tara and Johnny are ominous. I hope her team heard them.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    To put it bluntly (since others have with Hanyu), Ashley is too "butch" (note quotation marks) for R&J. She is a lovely young woman, but she is having to play against type with Juliet and is not skilled enough to do it.
    Oh, wow, what a word to describe her. She is as feminine as most skaters out there. She is not skinny skinny but tv puts on weight. She has a beautiful expressive face. Her eyes,mlips, skin, hair-u call that butch???? Oh my word. She is not playing= romeo nor could she. Exactly who IS Hanyu portraying with the costume? Both?

Custom Title
    I have done some research and realize it is I that sees much incorrectly with regard to R&J. If you knew how many years it has been since I read and studied the play in college and how much I have forgotten in the mean time, perhaps, you could find your way to excusing my lapse. In the play, Romeo and Juliet defy the stereotypical gender roles foisted on them by the culture in which they live. This piece explains it much better than I ever could and in detail. So both Ashley and Hanyu are actually being very true to the play. The problem, for the most part, is in the viewer who does not know Shakespeare or has, as I did, forgotten what he once knew. That circumstance is not likely to change, so a problem still exist and I really don't see there being a solution to it......except maybe not skating to R&J music.

http://underthefallenleaves.wordpres...-gender-roles/

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    She should dress like t-Rex and skate to Jurassic Park.
    I like to imagine Ashley laughing about this comment with her buddy Adam.

Something to make her stand out would be good of course. But if she's going to go with cheezy blockbuster soundtracks how about Star Wars and she could be Princess Leia? There's a heroine fierce enough for Ashley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKRuJ9iWtkY

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    All else set aside, Wagner did make it to the GPF and placed third, even with a few mistakes. So, I wouldn't say her season has been unsuccessful and that she has been scored badly. She's done very well for herself in an Olympic year, despite the fact that her LP isn't the best for her. And yes, having the 6th best LP score of the season is successful, especially since she's just about 2 points behind the 3rd highest scoring LP this season (Adelina). It's all about strategy. Sometimes peaking too early can be dangerous. A la Alissa Czisny in 2005/2006.

Although, I do agree with you Blades of Passion, that if Julia skates cleanly again, she will have higher points than at Skate Canada, I didn't take that into account.

I guess we will all see come Nationals and Sochi, if she can spruce up the program. Only time will tell!
    I'm not sure how it's a good thing. She's 2 points behind Adelina, and any Russian lady is likely to score better in Russia (home ice advantage).

And you forget 2 ladies who definitely have the potential to outscore Ashley -- Yuna & CaroK. I don't know about CaroK's condition since she's injured, but Yuna's definitely going to outscore Ashley unless she's injured again. So that means Ashley's LP isn't going to be enough to put her on the podium, provided that everyone skates the way they're expected to skate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4