Is Romeo and Juliet working for Ashley? | Golden Skate

Is Romeo and Juliet working for Ashley?

minze

Medalist
I remember how excited she was about this program during her interview for the Skating Lesson, but I don't think the program is doing what Ashley wanted to do. JMO. I think this season she wanted to prove that she can compete with the big three on PCS by choosing a different type of program. But I don't think the program is doing its job.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I do. She is never going to get the same PCS as Yuna, Mao, or Caro if they skate clean. She isn't as good as they are on the criteria judged. However, she is getting among the highest PCS of that next group after the top 3. She is in a great position to win a bronze medal and no other program is going to allow her to take down Mao or Yuna.

elee63

Final Flight
She's doing her best, I feel. She's been doing the triple triples, and really selling her performances (especially the sp). She's been emoting a lot more "naturally" than for Samson and Delilah, and while I've never been a fan, I find myself smiling a couple times throughout the program.

While I didn't LOVE her long the first time, I must admit, it didn't bother me too much, watching it at the GPF. Sure, it didn't have me giving her a standing ovation, but it is a solid program.

And quite frankly, it's not like she has a shot at gold.

Icey

Record Breaker
No, she is badly miscast as Juliet. True she could (and possibly does) skate the music and not the character, but when one knows what the music is, there is the expectation the character is being portrayed. If she is trying to skate Juliet, it certainly is a one dimensional Juliet she is betraying and imo she is not even doing a good job at that. She needs to call in a program doctor quickly, maybe bring in an acting coach for a consultation. The tragedy and drama are basically no shows. Someone said they feared she was still the "almost girl" and it appears she quite likely is. Does anyone know if she plans on continuing after the Olympics?

elee63

Final Flight
No, she is badly miscast as Juliet. True she could (and possibly does) skate the music and not the character, but when one knows what the music is, there is the expectation the character is being portrayed. If she is trying to skate Juliet, it certainly is a one dimensional Juliet she is betraying and imo she is not even doing a good job at that. She needs to call in a program doctor quickly, maybe bring in an acting coach for a consultation. The tragedy and drama are basically no shows. Someone said they feared she was still the "almost girl" and it appears she quite likely is. Does anyone know if she plans on continuing after the Olympics?

Aha. You're right. Honestly, I don't think of this as Romeo and Juliet. Especially since the music isn't that recognizable. To me, she doesn't really personify Juliet in any shape or form (sorry but that ending pose was...). I just think of Ashley as skating to a lesser known classical excerpt.

But I still feel that she is getting into the music, if you will, USING her arms to express it, instead of some of the more obviously choreographed and awkward transitions in Samson and Delilah.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
average program, but her bigger problem is running out of steam as usual by GPF, she's getting worn out as Olympics approaches
Gracie should easily knock her by Nationals

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Okay, Ashley is clearly not Juliet because:

(1) She is not thirteen.
(2) Ashley should not be portraying an angsty barely-teenager. She is more than twenty years old.
(3) This is her own spin on things. I honestly don't want to see overtly-literal portrayals all the time.

I don't mind the music so much. I have problems with overusing music--I think Nino Rota's version of R&J has been used more than other pieces. I can't say that I'm a little sick of overused pieces and then turn around and complain that she's not using music that's recognizable enough. Ashley isn't a "soft" skater either--so Sasha's music wouldn't work as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Jurassic Park music isn't bad at all-but to skate to it, she has to get rid of the ponytail.

Barb

Record Breaker
Okay, Ashley is clearly not Juliet because:

(1) She is not thirteen.
(2) Ashley should not be portraying an angsty barely-teenager. She is more than twenty years old.

I know Romeo and Juliet is fiction but even it is ridiculous a little girl of 13 years old deeply in love and committing suicide for love :disapp:, I know, the autor is Shakespeare but I don´t mind, the story is absurd and stupid with kids as the main characters :rolleye:, so I prefer imagine the same story but older people.

russell30

Final Flight
I remember how excited she was about this program during her interview for the Skating Lesson, but I don't think the program is doing what Ashley wanted to do. JMO. I think this season she wanted to prove that she can compete with the big three on PCS by choosing a different type of program. But I don't think the program is doing its job.

I think the program has grown from one event to the next, i really like the cut of the music - there is so much light and shade, transitions are great, Ashley is putting out the triple combo (also she needs to add the axel and triple toe combo) but to be honest her spins need attention - she needs to get more variety and up the level - maybe her dress needs changing again (sometimes that makes the difference) - hopefully for Nationals and Olympics - she will make the team - i think you are looking at the National Champion again, Ashley has been consistent (in general)) this season!! and is very close for that podium spot at Sochi!! She certainly is a contender for that Olympic Bronze and in all fairness the only one from North America that has that chance.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
the Black Swan looks best for her, imo. This program is average. Julia's is better..She should go back to the BS w/o doubt!

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
No, she is badly miscast as Juliet. True she could (and possibly does) skate the music and not the character, but when one knows what the music is, there is the expectation the character is being portrayed.

Expectation by who? I certainly don't expect that a skater has to be portraying a particular character whenever they skate to music from a well-known movie/ballet/opera/musical/whatever. I expect that they'll express the mood and character of the music and story, sure, but it doesn't necessarily occur to me that Ashley Wagner is supposed to be Juliet and Yuzuru Hanyu is trying to be Romeo. (Or that Akiko Suzuki is supposed to be Christine Daae, or that anyone skating to Les Mis is supposed to be Fantine or Jean Valjean...I could go on.)

I like the program more than I did when I first saw it. It's still not my favourite program of hers, but I do think it's good enough for an Olympic medal if she skates it well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I agree, her fs music is not inspiring at all.

I expect that they'll express the mood and character of the music and story, sure, but it doesn't necessarily occur to me that Ashley Wagner is supposed to be Juliet and Yuzuru Hanyu is trying to be Romeo. (Or that Akiko Suzuki is supposed to be Christine Daae, or that anyone skating to Les Mis is supposed to be Fantine or Jean Valjean...I could go on.)

Based on his costume choice I would say he is trying to portrait Julia...:biggrin:

noskates

Record Breaker
I've been saying all season that Ashley skates like a robot. I felt somewhat vindicated when - although they said it more nicely - that Johnny and Tara agreed. She doesn't connect with the music and the crowd. There is little emotion on her face. I don't think this cut of this music suits her well.

But for those of you who are saying a skater doesn't have to portray the character from the music - what about Lipnitskaya and her Schindler's List? I would agree if she wasn't wearing "the red dress!"

aftertherain

Record Breaker
But for those of you who are saying a skater doesn't have to portray the character from the music - what about Lipnitskaya and her Schindler's List? I would agree if she wasn't wearing "the red dress!"

What I meant was that there is more than one way to interpret the music. Some people seemed to be miffed that she was not portraying Juliet the way that they imagined her to or wasn't portraying Juliet "enough"--and I don't agree with that. I don't think literal interpretations work for everyone, but if they do, more power to them.