Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can I ask permission to call dear Julia Lipnitskaya: JLip

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar

Can I ask permission to call dear Julia Lipnitskaya: JLip

There are too many Julias and Yulias. And I don't like calling her Lip. So how about JLip? It will help my auto and self correct when I misspell Lipnitskaya.

I will start calling her that.

Custom Title
    Why is this a thread?

Because I started it? And you responded to it?

Jess, do you not find it hard to type out these skaters' names? My computer controls it. I find it hard to call a 15 y/o "Lip". It bothers me. I think "JLip" is fun and contemporary.

And Jess, why would you be such a B? (Obv B itter person. Go with it, or don't. Simple as that Jess)

Tripping on the Podium
    Permission granted!

Yeah I have taken to calling Anna P "Pogo". I feel a little bad about it since I dunno that she'd want to be referred to as Pogo but it is both a lot faster and easier than typing out her whole last name.

I just call Julia Julia mostly.

I do join drivingmissdaisy in wondering why you thought this merited it's own thread though

Custom Title
    Eeee. I understand you mean well... right?

However, I suggest no. When I saw the title, and until I finished reading all posts above, I took it as that you were implying that Julia is an embodiment of all things there are as a lipper (whether she lips or not).

"JLip" suggests things weird in that context:

1. First of all, "JLip" a play on "J-Lo"; simply an abbreviation comparable, but "Lip" straight out gives a technical term we're all too familiar.

2. "Julia the Lipper", as if "Julia" is a feminine term replacing "Jack", and "Lipper" a play on "Ripper"; "Jack the Ripper" > "Julia the Lipper" > "JLip".

...So, nononono. I guess she needs a better surname.

How about JuLip? Sounds better, me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post
    Eeee. I understand you mean well... right?

However, I suggest no. When I saw the title, and until I finished reading all posts above, I took it as that you were implying that Julia is an embodiment of all things there are as a lipper (whether she lips or not).

"JLip" suggests things weird in that context:

1. First of all, "JLip" a play on "J-Lo"; simply an abbreviation comparable, but "Lip" straight out gives a technical term we're all too familiar.

2. "Julia the Lipper", as if "Julia" is a feminine term replacing "Jack", and "Lipper" a play on "Ripper"; "Jack the Ripper" > "Julia the Lipper" > "JLip".

...So, nononono. I guess she needs a better surname.
    Personally, I didn't see any of those things until you pointed them out. And I still won't even if someone actually decides to call her JLip. *shrugs*

JLo (Jennifer), JGar (Jennifer), JLaw (Jennifer), JLip (Julia).

JuLip sounds nice.

On the Ice
    JFlutz sounds more appropriate in her case

Sorry, no harm intended, just couldn't help myself.
    I have nothing against Julia and flutzes don't bother so much either.

I'm all for JuLip!

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    How about JuLip? Sounds better, me thinks.
    You are even better!! YES!!! Let's call her JuLip!!! Krislite is a rock star. Perfect. Noted. Brilliant. (I could never get away with that one, although I am technically Jewish, but have it!!!!) Love it, and it is all in good fun.

Seriously am I the only one to feel weird calling her Lip? I love JuLip. Definitely the trademark! Thank you, you saved me from banned dom, Kristi. I lurve Doris and Mathman. You took the heat, since it didn't start well...

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    JuLip's like Mint Julep-associations all good, and with owners of Kentucky Derby winners!
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-08-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Banned
    No way
    and we need to stop making nicknames from fans that are not related to their names

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    JuLip's like Mint Julep-associations all good, and with owners of Kentucky Derby winners!
    Oops, no. JuLip sounds cute but it apparently is very offensive, considering we are talking about a possible Jewish girl skating to
    Schindler's List. I am ethnic Ashkenazi and I didn't even pick up on it. I am embarrassed that I didn't pick up on it, if it was indeed a joke. Let's just call her JLip. A couple of fellow Jewish people contacted me and I realized it wasn't appropriate. JLip? You absolutely can not call her JuLip when she is skating to Schindler's List. Maybe next season when she finds another Sasha free skate...

Custom Title
    I dunno, seems pretty innocent to get offended by. Julip is a great book by Jim Harrison too, with a great female lead character by the same name.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Maybe next year then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast