Can I ask permission to call dear Julia Lipnitskaya: JLip | Golden Skate

Can I ask permission to call dear Julia Lipnitskaya: JLip

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
There are too many Julias and Yulias. And I don't like calling her Lip. So how about JLip? It will help my auto and self correct when I misspell Lipnitskaya.

I will start calling her that.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Because I started it? And you responded to it?

Jess, do you not find it hard to type out these skaters' names? My computer controls it. I find it hard to call a 15 y/o "Lip". It bothers me. I think "JLip" is fun and contemporary.

And Jess, why would you be such a B? (Obv B itter person. Go with it, or don't. Simple as that Jess)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yeah I have taken to calling Anna P "Pogo". I feel a little bad about it since I dunno that she'd want to be referred to as Pogo but it is both a lot faster and easier than typing out her whole last name.

I just call Julia Julia mostly.

I do join drivingmissdaisy in wondering why you thought this merited it's own thread though :laugh:

bebevia

On the Ice
Eeee. I understand you mean well... right?

However, I suggest no. When I saw the title, and until I finished reading all posts above, I took it as that you were implying that Julia is an embodiment of all things there are as a lipper (whether she lips or not).

"JLip" suggests things weird in that context:

1. First of all, "JLip" a play on "J-Lo"; simply an abbreviation comparable, but "Lip" straight out gives a technical term we're all too familiar.

2. "Julia the Lipper", as if "Julia" is a feminine term replacing "Jack", and "Lipper" a play on "Ripper"; "Jack the Ripper" > "Julia the Lipper" > "JLip".

...So, nononono. I guess she needs a better surname.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Eeee. I understand you mean well... right?

However, I suggest no. When I saw the title, and until I finished reading all posts above, I took it as that you were implying that Julia is an embodiment of all things there are as a lipper (whether she lips or not).

"JLip" suggests things weird in that context:

1. First of all, "JLip" a play on "J-Lo"; simply an abbreviation comparable, but "Lip" straight out gives a technical term we're all too familiar.

2. "Julia the Lipper", as if "Julia" is a feminine term replacing "Jack", and "Lipper" a play on "Ripper"; "Jack the Ripper" > "Julia the Lipper" > "JLip".

...So, nononono. I guess she needs a better surname.

Personally, I didn't see any of those things until you pointed them out. And I still won't even if someone actually decides to call her JLip. *shrugs*

JLo (Jennifer), JGar (Jennifer), JLaw (Jennifer), JLip (Julia).

JuLip sounds nice.

enzet

On the Ice
JFlutz sounds more appropriate in her case :think:

Sorry, no harm intended, just couldn't help myself.
I have nothing against Julia and flutzes don't bother so much either.

I'm all for JuLip! :agree:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
How about JuLip? Sounds better, me thinks.

You are even better!! YES!!! Let's call her JuLip!!! Krislite is a rock star. Perfect. Noted. Brilliant. :) (I could never get away with that one, although I am technically Jewish, but have it!!!!) Love it, and it is all in good fun.

Seriously am I the only one to feel weird calling her Lip? I love JuLip. Definitely the trademark! Thank you, you saved me from banned dom, Kristi. I lurve Doris and Mathman. You took the heat, since it didn't start well...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
JuLip's like Mint Julep-associations all good, and with owners of Kentucky Derby winners!

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No way
and we need to stop making nicknames from fans that are not related to their names

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
JuLip's like Mint Julep-associations all good, and with owners of Kentucky Derby winners!

Oops, no. JuLip sounds cute but it apparently is very offensive, considering we are talking about a possible Jewish girl skating to
Schindler's List. I am ethnic Ashkenazi and I didn't even pick up on it. I am embarrassed that I didn't pick up on it, if it was indeed a joke. Let's just call her JLip. A couple of fellow Jewish people contacted me and I realized it wasn't appropriate. JLip? You absolutely can not call her JuLip when she is skating to Schindler's List. Maybe next season when she finds another Sasha free skate...

ivy

On the Ice
I dunno, seems pretty innocent to get offended by. Julip is a great book by Jim Harrison too, with a great female lead character by the same name.

Krislite

Medalist
You are even better!! YES!!! Let's call her JuLip!!! Krislite is a rock star. Perfect. Noted. Brilliant. :) (I could never get away with that one, although I am technically Jewish, but have it!!!!) Love it, and it is all in good fun.

Seriously am I the only one to feel weird calling her Lip? I love JuLip. Definitely the trademark! Thank you, you saved me from banned dom, Kristi. I lurve Doris and Mathman. You took the heat, since it didn't start well...

What? Sorry, I had no idea there was anything offensive about that suggestion. :eek: It was a pleasant sounding word/name and that's the only reason I made it up.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
What? Sorry, I had no idea there was anything offensive about that suggestion. :eek: It was a pleasant sounding word/name and that's the only reason I made it up.

I know, I love it too. But two people emailed me and said I was offensive calling a (unconfirmed) Jewish girl skating to Schindler's List "JuLip". Lord knows how many complaints the mods got on that one. I think it's pretty, but I sort of understand it.

As for the nicknames, we've got JLip, Pogo, Radio, Tut, and Sot. We can deal with it.