Can I ask permission to call dear Julia Lipnitskaya: JLip | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can I ask permission to call dear Julia Lipnitskaya: JLip

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think it's better not to use nickname. This is bound to offend someone of different nationality, different language, different culture, or different religion.

I for one have never liked nickname for Plushenko, such as Plushy, plush, and plu. To me, those nicknames for Plushenko has always been connected with flashy, flush, and flu. I certainly don't like the sound of JLip or Julip, especially a formal request like this made it like asking for a permission to "officially" change the girl's beautiful name. JLip sounds to me like a name calling from a non-Julia fan though I don't know whether you are her fan or not.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
1. First of all, "JLip" a play on "J-Lo"; simply an abbreviation comparable, but "Lip" straight out gives a technical term we're all too familiar.

JLo (Jennifer), JGar (Jennifer), JLaw (Jennifer), JLip (Julia).

FWIW, my understanding is that Jennifer Lopez asks people to NOT use the nickname JLo in reference to her.

So no matter what name any of us thinks is catchy, fitting, etc. ... I don't know how you'll ever be sure that the skater herself would be comfortable with it -- if her reaction would matter to you.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think it's better not to use nickname. This is bound to offend someone of different nationality, different language, different culture, or different religion.

I for one have never liked nickname for Plushenko, such as Plushy, plush, and plu. To me, those nicknames for Plushenko has always been connected with flashy, flush, and flu. I certainly don't like the sound of JLip or Julip, especially a formal request like this made it like asking for a permission to "officially" change the girl's beautiful name. JLip sounds to me like a name calling from a non-Julia fan though I don't know whether you are her fan or not.

indeed, it could be different and offensive to other people and they are not giving their consent at all
why not use dimunitive names liek for Evgeny - Zhenya, Pogs sounds like an offensive word too

Anna - Anya
Adelina - Adelya
Elena - Lena, Helen, Yelena
Julia - Julie, Yunechka

brightphoton

Medalist
Maybe I'm getting early onset dementia, but I can't think of any other other Julias that we would confuse this particular Julia with.

indeed, it could be different and offensive to other people and they are not giving their consent at all
why not use dimunitive names liek for Evgeny - Zhenya, Pogs sounds like an offensive word too

Anna - Anya
Adelina - Adelya
Elena - Lena, Helen, Yelena
Julia - Julie, Yunechka

I was hoping that a Russian speaker would check in with suggestions. Russian has such a wealth of nicknames for every given name that there's got to be something in there that would suit Julia. When Doctor Zhivago was first printed in English in the U.S., it came with a huge section of diminutives for every character's name so that American readers could keep track of the characters. For myself, I love the name Zhenya for Evgeny, and when I hear it, I always think of Plushenko first.

I also remember that people occasionally called Irina Slutskaya by an abbreviation of her last name that could be misinterpreted as insulting (entirely with good intentions, but it was not worthy of such a lovely person). And, as brightphoton points out, right now, how many Julias are we differentiating?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Maybe I'm getting early onset dementia, but I can't think of any other other Julias that we would confuse this particular Julia with.

probably for old schoolers
I can think of Julia Soldatova, Julia Sebestyen in singles and Julia Obertas - Pairs

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Uhhh why don't we just call her Julia? She will be known as THE Julia of ladies, just give her a few years sheesh...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Uhhh why don't we just call her Julia? She will be known as THE Julia of ladies, just give her a few years sheesh...

agreed, and none of the other Julias arent as well known as Julia Lipnitskaya, probably most don't know who they are as evident in some posters not knowing another Julia, for old schoolers, why not use Julia L. if you get confused ? :confused:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I personally think she doesn't need a special name. Julia sounds good.)

Robeye

Final Flight
agreed, and none of the other Julias arent as well known as Julia Lipnitskaya, probably most don't know who they are as evident in some posters not knowing another Julia, for old schoolers, why not use Julia L. if you get confused ? :confused:
That's also a very good and practical thought. Who else are we going to call Julia now that we are nearing the climax of the season? The only possibility for confusion might be at Russian Nationals, but even at that event there is still only one true "Julia", so any potential pretenders are probably better off temporarily changing their names, maybe to Lyudmila or Olga. :biggrin:

After that, however, there is likely no practical dilemma until after Sochi.

The reasoning you propose is very much like the way the US Congress chose to deal with the Budget Crisis; after much hemming and hawing, to accept the very practical short-term solution, while kicking the possible long-term problem down the road a bit. As an American, I approve. ;)