Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can I ask permission to call dear Julia Lipnitskaya: JLip

Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    You are even better!! YES!!! Let's call her JuLip!!! Krislite is a rock star. Perfect. Noted. Brilliant. (I could never get away with that one, although I am technically Jewish, but have it!!!!) Love it, and it is all in good fun.

Seriously am I the only one to feel weird calling her Lip? I love JuLip. Definitely the trademark! Thank you, you saved me from banned dom, Kristi. I lurve Doris and Mathman. You took the heat, since it didn't start well...
    What? Sorry, I had no idea there was anything offensive about that suggestion. It was a pleasant sounding word/name and that's the only reason I made it up.

Custom Title
    I hate nicknames but Julip is kinda cute.

Yes. Julip

Custom Title
    Also sounds like "tulip". Why not?

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    What? Sorry, I had no idea there was anything offensive about that suggestion. It was a pleasant sounding word/name and that's the only reason I made it up.
    I know, I love it too. But two people emailed me and said I was offensive calling a (unconfirmed) Jewish girl skating to Schindler's List "JuLip". Lord knows how many complaints the mods got on that one. I think it's pretty, but I sort of understand it.

As for the nicknames, we've got JLip, Pogo, Radio, Tut, and Sot. We can deal with it.

Custom Title
    I think it's better not to use nickname. This is bound to offend someone of different nationality, different language, different culture, or different religion.

I for one have never liked nickname for Plushenko, such as Plushy, plush, and plu. To me, those nicknames for Plushenko has always been connected with flashy, flush, and flu. I certainly don't like the sound of JLip or Julip, especially a formal request like this made it like asking for a permission to "officially" change the girl's beautiful name. JLip sounds to me like a name calling from a non-Julia fan though I don't know whether you are her fan or not.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post
    1. First of all, "JLip" a play on "J-Lo"; simply an abbreviation comparable, but "Lip" straight out gives a technical term we're all too familiar.
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    JLo (Jennifer), JGar (Jennifer), JLaw (Jennifer), JLip (Julia).
    FWIW, my understanding is that Jennifer Lopez asks people to NOT use the nickname JLo in reference to her.

So no matter what name any of us thinks is catchy, fitting, etc. ... I don't know how you'll ever be sure that the skater herself would be comfortable with it -- if her reaction would matter to you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think it's better not to use nickname. This is bound to offend someone of different nationality, different language, different culture, or different religion.

I for one have never liked nickname for Plushenko, such as Plushy, plush, and plu. To me, those nicknames for Plushenko has always been connected with flashy, flush, and flu. I certainly don't like the sound of JLip or Julip, especially a formal request like this made it like asking for a permission to "officially" change the girl's beautiful name. JLip sounds to me like a name calling from a non-Julia fan though I don't know whether you are her fan or not.
    indeed, it could be different and offensive to other people and they are not giving their consent at all
    why not use dimunitive names liek for Evgeny - Zhenya, Pogs sounds like an offensive word too

Anna - Anya
    Adelina - Adelya
    Elena - Lena, Helen, Yelena
    Julia - Julie, Yunechka

Custom Title
    Maybe I'm getting early onset dementia, but I can't think of any other other Julias that we would confuse this particular Julia with.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    indeed, it could be different and offensive to other people and they are not giving their consent at all
    why not use dimunitive names liek for Evgeny - Zhenya, Pogs sounds like an offensive word too

Anna - Anya
    Adelina - Adelya
    Elena - Lena, Helen, Yelena
    Julia - Julie, Yunechka
    I was hoping that a Russian speaker would check in with suggestions. Russian has such a wealth of nicknames for every given name that there's got to be something in there that would suit Julia. When Doctor Zhivago was first printed in English in the U.S., it came with a huge section of diminutives for every character's name so that American readers could keep track of the characters. For myself, I love the name Zhenya for Evgeny, and when I hear it, I always think of Plushenko first.

I also remember that people occasionally called Irina Slutskaya by an abbreviation of her last name that could be misinterpreted as insulting (entirely with good intentions, but it was not worthy of such a lovely person). And, as brightphoton points out, right now, how many Julias are we differentiating?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Maybe I'm getting early onset dementia, but I can't think of any other other Julias that we would confuse this particular Julia with.
    probably for old schoolers
    I can think of Julia Soldatova, Julia Sebestyen in singles and Julia Obertas - Pairs

Custom Title
    Uhhh why don't we just call her Julia? She will be known as THE Julia of ladies, just give her a few years sheesh...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Uhhh why don't we just call her Julia? She will be known as THE Julia of ladies, just give her a few years sheesh...
    agreed, and none of the other Julias arent as well known as Julia Lipnitskaya, probably most don't know who they are as evident in some posters not knowing another Julia, for old schoolers, why not use Julia L. if you get confused ?

Custom Title
    I personally think she doesn't need a special name. Julia sounds good.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    I personally think she doesn't need a special name. Julia sounds good.)
    Julia or Julia L. is enough

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast