Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Results 151 to 165 of 165

Thread: Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review

  1. #151
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,308
    Quote Originally Posted by neraiselle View Post
    I shared similar concerns that you had. It was beautiful but maybe too artistic to capture the hearts of "wider" audience, I suppose, because in a big event like the Olympics, you probably have better chance of wowing the crowd if you use a bit more arousing, dramatic music rather than inward-looking piece. I hoped she could have used this for the worlds last year and "Les Mis" for the Olympics...
    But I can't stop watching Adios Nonino over and over again. It's so subtle, sophisticated, and just gorgeous, I get to appreciate it more and more as I watch. I can notice so much intricate movements and arrangement in the program.

    It is a big statement from a skating master, and it is something that will be much appreciated by serious skating fans, but for the big audience who probably watch figure skating only at the Olympics every four years, I think it would have been more strategic to choose an outward-looking piece of music to stir up the crowd.
    even if yuna is skating crazy or stripping her costume or whatever there's no way that crowd will ever be excited.. no matter how you sell that program.. that crowd was hard and incredibly bias..

  2. #152
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,270
    My review of Yuna's long program:

    I didn't realise it was supposed to be a tango until the Yunafans started carrying on about it afterwards.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-07-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: remove Yunabot reference

  3. #153
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    usethis2, the version she uses is from Luis Bravo's Forever Tango: Original Broadway Cast released in 1998.

  4. #154
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    It's a bit of a late post, but for those who are interested in hearing the entire track, someone on YT has kindly uploaded it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6trtGPUofY For comparison, this is Yuna's edited version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vWzo0s-i7I

    This version seems to be the most melancholy of the ones I've listened to. @4:04 - that's one incredible accelerando.

  5. #155
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by verysmuchso View Post
    The shoulda-won talk aside, I was curious what everyone thought of the Sochi version of Adios Nonino. Did it finally have more of the feel of a tango, greater unity? Did Ven at last experience the catharsis he/she was hoping for? Have all your hopes and wishes been fulfilled?
    As someone else said here (can't remember who), it was a self-contained, insular but reflective tango that had feelings differing from the usual romantic association, due to it being a memorial piece. Her body language was perfect for the piece as she was nimble yet wove tango movements into the choreography. While I didn't love it outright the way I loved her 2009W, 2010OG or 2013W performances, this interpretation and her performance of it at Sochi were glorious. It wasn't obvious, but it is in and of itself a quiet yet masterful work. Worth re-watching (although I can't bear to watch beyond the end of the performance, the score / placement still bums me out).

  6. #156
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8
    To be honest, I personally don't find the choreography of Adios Nonino all too compelling nor attention grabbing. Yu-Na skates it fine (she could do to project a bit more but it's not too big a deal if the choreo is great), but the program itself is a bit bland?
    Might be a fun exhibition piece, but to get an edge in a competitive field - it would need more snap and and edge, something extra to really BRING it, and showcase the best of the skater's abilities.

    This might sound controversial, but I think that David Wilson's choreos for Yu-Na started to look too similar to one another after 2011's programs. Kiss of the Vampire was quite ugh, Les Miz is great when I first saw it at 2013 Worlds, though I personally thought Yu-Na had started to look a bit 'rehearsed' by then. When you look back in her best competitive days back in 2009-2010 season she had this spark and genuine joy that's just amazing, and it wasn't quite there in her comeback performances - though her skills are still stellar! But even then the choice of music (Les Miz) and the choreo works well enough (along with her excellent skating), though I think the emotional music carries the program through more than the choreography itself.

    What I feel she should skate to in Sochi 2014 instead of Adios Nonino, is really Homage to Korea, which didn't have much time to flourish properly in the competitive field. She'd done it only once during Worlds, I think? Which is a pity because it's an AMAZING program, set to gorgeous unique music, beautifully choreographed to really push Yu-Na's best qualities forward, and even make her weak elements look better! For example, her arabesque's spiral which doesn't have the best extension - actually looks good when timed to the soaring, climatic music in Homage to Korea, right after a gorgeous step sequence. It's too bad this program didn't get to go around the competitive circuit long enough to realize its full potential.
    I rather think it's her best long program ever after Gershwin. Or could be even better, because even with Yu-Na's imperfect execution of it in 2011 Worlds, you can still see what an amazing program it is!

    And what better send- off music is there than to return to her roots - show the world and the Russian crowd - this is WHO I AM, my people, my culture.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Maybe Yuna will skate Homage to Korea at Pyeongchang 2018.
    (though I doubt it)

    Adios worked for me in the Olympics because of the tension of the moment, I think. When I saw the program at Golden Spin and Korean Nats, it was a procession for her. It was a fait accompli that she would win, and the audiences were very supportive of her. I did not feel the mood was correct for that music and that performance. While I still think the skate would be better with a more introspective, emotional performance by Yuna, I think it went over much better with me because of the unforeseen hostility of the audience and pressure of the moment. Her skate was literally and figuratively on the knife's edge, and that instilled a sense of concern and anxiety that I thought was desperately needed.

    All in all I liked Adios Nonino (Olympics version) and would put it in my list of second favorites. Still it could have been better with more fire and determination, but as Yuna admitted, that seemed to wane at the end of her career.

  8. #158
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by OniBan View Post
    To be honest, I personally don't find the choreography of Adios Nonino all too compelling nor attention grabbing. Yu-Na skates it fine (she could do to project a bit more but it's not too big a deal if the choreo is great), but the program itself is a bit bland?
    Might be a fun exhibition piece, but to get an edge in a competitive field - it would need more snap and and edge, something extra to really BRING it, and showcase the best of the skater's abilities.

    This might sound controversial, but I think that David Wilson's choreos for Yu-Na started to look too similar to one another after 2011's programs. Kiss of the Vampire was quite ugh, Les Miz is great when I first saw it at 2013 Worlds, though I personally thought Yu-Na had started to look a bit 'rehearsed' by then. When you look back in her best competitive days back in 2009-2010 season she had this spark and genuine joy that's just amazing, and it wasn't quite there in her comeback performances - though her skills are still stellar! But even then the choice of music (Les Miz) and the choreo works well enough (along with her excellent skating), though I think the emotional music carries the program through more than the choreography itself.

    What I feel she should skate to in Sochi 2014 instead of Adios Nonino, is really Homage to Korea, which didn't have much time to flourish properly in the competitive field. She'd done it only once during Worlds, I think? Which is a pity because it's an AMAZING program, set to gorgeous unique music, beautifully choreographed to really push Yu-Na's best qualities forward, and even make her weak elements look better! For example, her arabesque's spiral which doesn't have the best extension - actually looks good when timed to the soaring, climatic music in Homage to Korea, right after a gorgeous step sequence. It's too bad this program didn't get to go around the competitive circuit long enough to realize its full potential.
    I rather think it's her best long program ever after Gershwin. Or could be even better, because even with Yu-Na's imperfect execution of it in 2011 Worlds, you can still see what an amazing program it is!

    And what better send- off music is there than to return to her roots - show the world and the Russian crowd - this is WHO I AM, my people, my culture.
    All the points you made from Wilson's bland choreography circa 2011 onwards, to the loss of spark in Yuna's skating, to your love of Homage to Korea, is exactly how I feel.

    The only point I'd disagree on is skating to Homage in Korea in Sochi. Idk how well a South Korean "nationalistic" piece would've gone with the judges at the Olympics in Russia.

  9. #159
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    115
    While I liked Yuna's performance, I didn't like the music cut personally. IMO the reason Yuna looks like she lacks passion is because of the music. The only ones I liked were piano parts, and it didn't give me any impacts, unlike other musics she has used in the past. It somehow makes her look slower too, I mean try watching it without music, I was surprised at how fast Yuna was skating.

  10. #160
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    321
    I don't think the idea skating Homage Korea in front of that kind of crowd (and judges) in Sochi would do Yuna any favor

  11. #161
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    All the points you made from Wilson's bland choreography circa 2011 onwards, to the loss of spark in Yuna's skating, to your love of Homage to Korea, is exactly how I feel.
    glad I'm not the only one who felt that way
    I remember thinking this when I saw Les Miz again for the second time, and realized that apart from the music, the choreo holds together just enough to push things out there - which is not quite like her previously detailed programs. I still quite like it though XD It could also be because by that time, I haven't seen her compete for quite sometime so to see her skate clean with most of her skating skills intact was amazing (even if she's missing that spark).
    And Kiss of the Vampire was just a mess (choreo-wise). Send In the Clown is better, thankfully. The wistful music worked well for Yu-Na's different energy while she skates by this time, so I think overall on the surface, it's quite a success.
    As for Adios Nonino - while Yu-Na's performance is good - I can't help but think of Kanako Murakami's program to albeit a different cut, but the same song at 2013 Worlds. That's the standout piece (choreo+effervescent energy of the skater) when I think of Adios Nonino, just like how Danse Macabre makes me think of Yu-Na's 2009 Worlds. I know each performance is unique in its own right and should not be compared as such - but for me that's how much that particular LP didn't quite stand out among all the other LP Wilson had choreographed for Yu-Na in her competitive career.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    The only point I'd disagree on is skating to Homage in Korea in Sochi. Idk how well a South Korean "nationalistic" piece would've gone with the judges at the Olympics in Russia.
    he he - I was thinking that since the home crowd in Sochi had been very biased in cheering for their own athletes anyway, and Yu-Na herself said she's not too focused on winning but wanted to enjoy the Games, show the people all that she had since it's her last competition - might as well go for broke, yanno?
    Just go for the biggest, grandest piece to show it in their face.. but that's just my opinion XD
    They could even rename the program to something else that's not too blatantly 'nationalistic' - it's still an awesome program with beautiful unique music not usually heard on the competitive grounds.

    I wonder if skaters are allowed to trade programs though. It's a pity Homage to Korea might never see the light of day again except maybe in shows.

  12. #162
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by OniBan View Post
    he he - I was thinking that since the home crowd in Sochi had been very biased in cheering for their own athletes anyway, might as well go for broke, yanno?
    Just go for the biggest, grandest piece to show it in their face.. but that's just my opinion XD
    Heck, they could even rename the program to something else that's not too blatantly 'nationalistic' - it's still an awesome program with beautiful unique music not usually heard on the competitive grounds.

    I wonder if skaters are allowed to trade programs though. It's a pity Homage to Korea might never see the light of day again except maybe in shows.
    Yes, exactly! Screw the judges and rude audience! lol.

    If only professional competitions were around like they were before. I think it would be interesting if Yuna "passed down" Homage to So-youn or Hae-jin, although I'm not sure if they are ready yet for the task of pulling off such a grand program. And I'm always hoping that maybe Yuna can be invited to skate in the exhibition as a guest in the next Olympics, since it'll be in her home country and all. If she was and she chose to skate to Homage, then it'd be a dream come true.

  13. #163
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
    Yes, exactly! Screw the judges and rude audience! lol.

    If only professional competitions were around like they were before. I think it would be interesting if Yuna "passed down" Homage to So-youn or Hae-jin, although I'm not sure if they are ready yet for the task of pulling off such a grand program. And I'm always hoping that maybe Yuna can be invited to skate in the exhibition as a guest in the next Olympics, since it'll be in her home country and all. If she was and she chose to skate to Homage, then it'd be a dream come true.
    Pro competitions!! I remember watching Hallmark world pro competition - I was rooting for Oksana Baiul LOL
    But yes - that was an awesome stage for those no longer competing in the Olympics/ ISU events. Plus the skaters always seem more 'free' and uninhibited in those events and it's always fun to watch.

    It would be cool if Yu-Na could skate to that piece at the gala in Pyeongchang. Who knows, right? One can hope XD
    (Though by then I think there would be slight changes to the choreo to accomodate the things she might not be able to do anymore due to age/ back issues)

  14. #164
    quietly lurking jenm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    135
    When I first saw Adios, I also felt that it was a bit bland for Yuna. Maybe it was the "lack" of highs and lows in the choreography, or the cut of the music, or the arrangement in general. But when Yuna performed it in Sochi, that feeling changed and I added Adios to Yuna's list of best performances. In Sochi, Yuna showed that she's human after all. I actually felt her nervousness, fear and sadness. The environment helped with that as well. So for me, Adios became a very fitting program for her last stage as an active competitive skater. Adios is, for me, like a wine. The more you watch it, the better it gets.

    But to be honest, I prefer Nessun Dorma. Adios made Yuna look slower but she was really really fast as shown in the fan cams. Nessun Dorma, otoh, complimented with Yuna's speed, musicality and artistry. Now, I wonder what it will look like as a competitive program.

  15. #165
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Adios is, for me, like a wine. The more you watch it, the better it gets.
    I'm with you. I wasn't happy with her performance that night when I watched on TV with my friends. It took me a while to rewatch it (actually last week!) and I also
    felt that sadness (maybe it's just mine :P). Kim did say goodbye to me by delivering two beautiful (CLEAN) programmes at Sochi.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •