Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review

Ven

Match Penalty
I watched it a few times, and still find it not satisfactory.
Like someone mentioned upthread, the program feels disjointed.
I only like the 3x3 and the second 3sal.

Step sequence went on too long. And it feels like a junior girl trying to go through step that is beyond her ability. Really odd. Yuna came alive in some of her previous step sequence, this one was just bad.

Spiral is also unfortunate.

Good thing is this, if she skates clean, her pcs will be huge regardless of this uninspiring choreography. You can't interpret this mess.

Maybe revisit her homage program.

Good grief lol. Rome wasn't built in a day, my dear.

Krislite

Medalist
So at just under 2:40 into the program there feels like a really important part of the music. But the program lacks any momentum building to this climax. It feels like Yuna was just doing a bunch of stuff (including 3+2) and then oh here the music is picking up and she's hurrying to squeeze in the next part. Anyone else have the same feeling?

Could be, but I looked at that and thought Yuna was really focusing so as not to miss that critical 3Lutz jumping pass.

The music's climax--are you referring to the Ina Bauer into the 2Axel+2Toe+2Loop? Maybe the Ina Bauer needs more buildup and held for a little longer for better. This climax would work best with an Ina Bauer 2Axel+3Toe, as others have mentioned.

elee63

Final Flight

Well said. I'm guilty of this myself, but I think I (and others) hold Kim to a different standard. Which makes me (us) quick to judge at times. Let us be optimistic shall we? She has 2 months to tighten up that step sequence.

bmelanie

On the Ice
Good points. It should definitely be more focused on the positive side. Her facial expressions during the program were frequently pained or sad. But then she punctuates it with a few smiles and playfulness. I think I get what they're going for but it does feel odd to switch like that.

Can I just say...I'm so DONE with the 'fire and pizzaz' and OLE! kind of tangos? She already did that once in her career with Roxanne, and I think we can agree she doesn't need to do another tango like that to prove she can (especially after having shown us an encore of that Roxanne program, with even more polish and matured sensuality, at one of her ice shows). I find this LP interesting for a lot of reasons similar to why I found Gershwin interesting; it takes some viewing, it's not immediately easy and accessible like her Danse Macabre or Scheherazade, it's absolutely brimming with transitions and dynamism, and what's more it covers a range of emotions that are hard to find in one program (remember all the 'stages' in Gershwin that she went through?). That's probably why it feels disjointed, but I feel that with more polish, she could pull it off, that she could tell us a story with it.

TL;DR version: I'm waiting for a larger event where she can show it to us with more polish.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

You compare some program to Rome?
Let me tell you, David probably spent 2 hrs choreographed this. Morozov famously said he spent 15 min doing miki programs. Lori said she spent the afternoon doing caro program. You think these programs take years? Lol at yourself.

bmelanie

On the Ice
You compare some program to Rome?
Let me tell you, David probably spent 2 hrs choreographed this. Morozov famously said he spent 15 min doing miki programs. Lori said she spent the afternoon doing caro program. You think these programs take years? Lol at yourself.

I rather think Ven was referring to the number of hours in total that Yuna - or any skater, for that matter - spends on a single program to perfect it. And the fact that Yuna has been injured. (Though, that being said, she hasn't taken a single break since last Worlds.)

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Can I just say...I'm so DONE with the 'fire and pizzaz' and OLE! kind of tangos? She already did that once in her career with Roxanne, and I think we can agree she doesn't need to do another tango like that to prove she can (especially after having shown us an encore of that Roxanne program, with even more polish and matured sensuality, at one of her ice shows). I find this LP interesting for a lot of reasons similar to why I found Gershwin interesting; it takes some viewing, it's not immediately easy and accessible like her Danse Macabre or Scheherazade, it's absolutely brimming with transitions and dynamism, and what's more it covers a range of emotions that are hard to find in one program (remember all the 'stages' in Gershwin that she went through?). That's probably why it feels disjointed, but I feel that with more polish, she could pull it off, that she could tell us a story with it.

My thoughts exactly. Could not have said it better. Thank you.

Ven

Match Penalty
Let us be optimistic shall we? She has 2 months to tighten up that step sequence.

You're right, and I'm definitely optimistic, I mean look at Yuna and David's history. It's magic. That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing the unfinished work we have in front of us. Nor does that mean if we offer criticism that we fear the worst or think the whole thing is a debacle. It's just an unfinished work, needs to be polished, and we'll see what happens. In the end I'm confident Yuna will exceed expectations.

Krislite

Medalist

TL;DR version: I'm waiting for a larger event where she can show it to us with more polish.

It's not OLE! and pizzaz I'm looking for, but more intensity and focus. That's what I take as "fierce attack".

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I rather think Ven was referring to the number of hours in total that Yuna - or any skater, for that matter - spends on a single program to perfect it. And the fact that Yuna has been injured. (Though, that being said, she hasn't taken a single break since last Worlds.)

And I was criticizing what I see. If I see Rome BC, should I say, damn, what a shantytown?
If she perfects it, opinion might change. So I am puzzled what Rome has to do with anything.

Krislite

Medalist
And I was criticizing what I see. If I see Rome BC, should I say, damn, what a shantytown?
If she perfects it, opinion might change. So I am puzzled what Rome has to do with anything.

Eh? The meaning is that it takes time to build something great. This is the program's first outing with relatively little practice and few run-through's. And yes, even though Wilson might have developed it in a day or so, it takes a bit longer to refine it, and for the performer to fully grasp and digest it.

Ven

Match Penalty
OK all of you FS experts you probably know more about this than me but, isn't there a bonus for jumps after 2:30 mark or something? I think maybe that's why I'm feeling the momentum disjointed from before this point to after, as if the jump 3+2 is just forced in at that point. But really, if I start the program at the lead into the jump, the rest of it has magic, the lack of intensity by Yuna this time not withstanding. But if I watch the whole program, then this critical "tentpole" of the program feels rushed.

Ven

Match Penalty
It really is quite amazing if you start watching later in the program. I'll use this video as reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LuRoxUhQw#t=217, since it's linked on Yuna's fb page.

But anyway, start the video at 2:54 and just watch from that point on. It really does come off well, but at least for me, starting at the beginning and watching to the end just seems disjointed.

Edit: scratch that, I noticed one thing in the back end of the program that still bugs me -- the spiral when the music goes dead. Really don't care for this at all, to be honest.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Must say, she will get beauty points. As usual. She looks tired and to be kind, the dress is to die for, and she is a vision, but Zagreb scoring was over the top. This is not right. I am amazed how meh this is. Loved Les Miz. In a fair world several skaters should beat this, but they want her to get gold. She is beloved in fs community.

So sexy, sensual. Men in S Korea must dream of her. Nice to be young AND rich, eh? Well, looks like injury may be a factor still. Julia must be all hoppy happy -she could win this. Thanks for vid, we have waited so long to see her offerings. I wish she'd get rid of I spin-do a scratch. It looks hard for her. Now I want to see Lulu's version, keep on yuna!