Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review

OniBan

Final Flight
All the points you made from Wilson's bland choreography circa 2011 onwards, to the loss of spark in Yuna's skating, to your love of Homage to Korea, is exactly how I feel.

glad I'm not the only one who felt that way :)
I remember thinking this when I saw Les Miz again for the second time, and realized that apart from the music, the choreo holds together just enough to push things out there - which is not quite like her previously detailed programs. I still quite like it though XD It could also be because by that time, I haven't seen her compete for quite sometime so to see her skate clean with most of her skating skills intact was amazing (even if she's missing that spark).
And Kiss of the Vampire was just a mess (choreo-wise). Send In the Clown is better, thankfully. The wistful music worked well for Yu-Na's different energy while she skates by this time, so I think overall on the surface, it's quite a success.
As for Adios Nonino - while Yu-Na's performance is good - I can't help but think of Kanako Murakami's program to albeit a different cut, but the same song at 2013 Worlds. That's the standout piece (choreo+effervescent energy of the skater) when I think of Adios Nonino, just like how Danse Macabre makes me think of Yu-Na's 2009 Worlds. I know each performance is unique in its own right and should not be compared as such - but for me that's how much that particular LP didn't quite stand out among all the other LP Wilson had choreographed for Yu-Na in her competitive career.

The only point I'd disagree on is skating to Homage in Korea in Sochi. Idk how well a South Korean "nationalistic" piece would've gone with the judges at the Olympics in Russia.

he he - I was thinking that since the home crowd in Sochi had been very biased in cheering for their own athletes anyway, and Yu-Na herself said she's not too focused on winning but wanted to enjoy the Games, show the people all that she had since it's her last competition - might as well go for broke, yanno?
Just go for the biggest, grandest piece to show it in their face.. but that's just my opinion XD
They could even rename the program to something else that's not too blatantly 'nationalistic' - it's still an awesome program with beautiful unique music not usually heard on the competitive grounds.

I wonder if skaters are allowed to trade programs though. It's a pity Homage to Korea might never see the light of day again except maybe in shows.

Crystallize

On the Ice
he he - I was thinking that since the home crowd in Sochi had been very biased in cheering for their own athletes anyway, might as well go for broke, yanno?
Just go for the biggest, grandest piece to show it in their face.. but that's just my opinion XD
Heck, they could even rename the program to something else that's not too blatantly 'nationalistic' - it's still an awesome program with beautiful unique music not usually heard on the competitive grounds.

I wonder if skaters are allowed to trade programs though. It's a pity Homage to Korea might never see the light of day again except maybe in shows.

Yes, exactly! Screw the judges and rude audience! lol.

If only professional competitions were around like they were before. :cry: I think it would be interesting if Yuna "passed down" Homage to So-youn or Hae-jin, although I'm not sure if they are ready yet for the task of pulling off such a grand program. And I'm always hoping that maybe Yuna can be invited to skate in the exhibition as a guest in the next Olympics, since it'll be in her home country and all. If she was and she chose to skate to Homage, then it'd be a dream come true. :love:

OniBan

Final Flight
Yes, exactly! Screw the judges and rude audience! lol.

If only professional competitions were around like they were before. :cry: I think it would be interesting if Yuna "passed down" Homage to So-youn or Hae-jin, although I'm not sure if they are ready yet for the task of pulling off such a grand program. And I'm always hoping that maybe Yuna can be invited to skate in the exhibition as a guest in the next Olympics, since it'll be in her home country and all. If she was and she chose to skate to Homage, then it'd be a dream come true. :love:

Pro competitions!! I remember watching Hallmark world pro competition - I was rooting for Oksana Baiul LOL
But yes - that was an awesome stage for those no longer competing in the Olympics/ ISU events. Plus the skaters always seem more 'free' and uninhibited in those events and it's always fun to watch.

It would be cool if Yu-Na could skate to that piece at the gala in Pyeongchang. Who knows, right? One can hope XD
(Though by then I think there would be slight changes to the choreo to accomodate the things she might not be able to do anymore due to age/ back issues)

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
When I first saw Adios, I also felt that it was a bit bland for Yuna. Maybe it was the "lack" of highs and lows in the choreography, or the cut of the music, or the arrangement in general. But when Yuna performed it in Sochi, that feeling changed and I added Adios to Yuna's list of best performances. In Sochi, Yuna showed that she's human after all. I actually felt her nervousness, fear and sadness. The environment helped with that as well. So for me, Adios became a very fitting program for her last stage as an active competitive skater. Adios is, for me, like a wine. The more you watch it, the better it gets.

But to be honest, I prefer Nessun Dorma. Adios made Yuna look slower but she was really really fast as shown in the fan cams. Nessun Dorma, otoh, complimented with Yuna's speed, musicality and artistry. Now, I wonder what it will look like as a competitive program.

wanpe

On the Ice
Adios is, for me, like a wine. The more you watch it, the better it gets.

I'm with you. I wasn't happy with her performance that night when I watched on TV with my friends. It took me a while to rewatch it (actually last week!) and I also
felt that sadness (maybe it's just mine :p). Kim did say goodbye to me by delivering two beautiful (CLEAN) programmes at Sochi.