Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review

Ven

Match Penalty
OK I'm just going to keep talking to myself until I get tired of watching the program (probably never). Again for reference I'm just going to start at 2:54 (YT video) because I can feel the program from that point on.

First, I think the 3+2 misses the music because of the bonus. She does it right at 2:30 to pick up the bonus (if this is wrong, please correct me), but the music feels like the timing of the jump should be sooner. I'm not sure how they can fix that. But I feel like when the music really picks up into her signature layback ina bauer into 3+2+2, that's the tentpole of the entire program, the best part. It can't be rushed, and the program really needs to build and feel cohesive towards that moment.

And dang, I wish she would do the arm aloft like in Gershwin, I always loved that move.

Moving on, I like when Yuna turns around and quickly puts her arm in the air. Looks like fierce tango here, but afterward she loses the program for a few seconds and does nothing. She looks really tired for a moment. I think she could engage the program better from there until she starts the lead in to her next jump.

Her poses around 3:40 look good, she can probably do better here too, but that will come in the Olympics.

Someone like Blades can better critique her layback, but I'd like to see it faster, with acceleration, given the music at this part.

Ahhhh -- that dreaded spiral when the music goes dead. I don't like this part.

I think in the last choreo sequence, after she puts her leg in the air, she should come out of it and continue with another spin or twizzle or two before going into her final 2A.
I know it would be more difficult but I think would work better.

That's all I've got!

Jewels

On the Ice
I know this is out of topic, but does anybody know if Yuna will attend another competition before the Olympics like 4CC? I'm a Korean but I couldn't find any articles about that.
Before Golden Spin, I was quite sure that she won't attend either Korean nationals or 4CC, but this competition was a lot smaller than I thought...
And I think she should check her program once more when she finishes improving her outfits, choreography, stamina, etc

About her LP yesterday, I was very pleased with her choreography and construction-she just needs more strength to pull them off. (more speed and bigger moves) Also it was visible that she wasn't focused on those because of her jump mistake and trying to make that up afterwards. After watching the 2013 worlds I don't worry too much-if she performs this LP like that too, I'm sure it will become one of her greatest programs:) She's been doing this for ages, she knows what she's doing.
+I love her music choices-wasn't really sure of Adios Nonino at first, but it 's greater the more I hear it. But I'm teeny bit disappointed with her dresses......I hope she fixes them a bit :think:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Must say, she will get beauty points. As usual. She looks tired and to be kind, the dress is to die for, and she is a vision, but Zagreb scoring was over the top. This is not right. I am amazed how meh this is. Loved Les Miz. In a fair world several skaters should beat this, but they want her to get gold. She is beloved in fs community.

So sexy, sensual. Men in S Korea must dream of her. Nice to be young AND rich, eh? Well, looks like injury may be a factor still. Julia must be all hoppy happy -she could win this. Thanks for vid, we have waited so long to see her offerings. I wish she'd get rid of I spin-do a scratch. It looks hard for her. Now I want to see Lulu's version, keep on yuna!

Who could've possibly beaten her at this event anyway? She had an 11 pt lead over Miki (#2). She was going to win no matter what.

Even if we compared her LP to how GPF ladies did, well... what's there to say? None of their performances were all that fabulous, and Julia was the ONLY one who didn't fall (but got a low PCS for being "new") though Amana was quite generous w/ e for her.

Just men in S Korea? :p It's always nice to be young and rich.

Krislite

Medalist
I know this is out of topic, but does anybody know if Yuna will attend another competition before the Olympics like 4CC? I'm a Korean but I couldn't find any articles about that.
Before Golden Spin, I was quite sure that she won't attend either Korean nationals or 4CC, but this competition was a lot smaller than I thought...
And I think she should check her program once more when she finishes improving her outfits, choreography, stamina, etc

About her LP yesterday, I was very pleased with her choreography and construction-she just needs more strength to pull them off. (more speed and bigger moves) Also it was visible that she wasn't focused on those because of her jump mistake and trying to make that up afterwards. After watching the 2013 worlds I don't worry too much-if she performs this LP like that too, I'm sure it will become one of her greatest programs:) She's been doing this for ages, she knows what she's doing.
+I love her music choices-wasn't really sure of Adios Nonino at first, but it 's greater the more I hear it. But I'm teeny bit disappointed with her dresses......I hope she fixes them a bit :think:

No one knows at this point. She's taking it day by day based on her condition and progress. She may or may not have another competition. Timing-wise, Korean Nats may be better, but if feedback and testing her programs is the goal, another international competition in front of international judges would be better.

Ven

Match Penalty
Gah, one last thing for me to say. I notice now that her energy will need to be greater in the last half or third of her program from earlier parts. I feel like she can start out subdued, but will need to express fire and energy late in the program. Of course that's counter to nature, because even at peak condition she will tend to become more tired toward the end, but if anyone can pull off such a feat, it would be Yuna.

Ruffles78

On the Ice
I was excited when I heard she'd be skating to this music. Now I'm disappointed. I know this music is not meant to be a super sassy tango, but I wish she'd at least have some movement indicative of the style. She could be skating to anything.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I saw fear.. but they want her to win so hold her up, like Chan. I love her dresses. Maybe new sp but her LP just needs a touch of red.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
(Thank you, Krislite for the mashup video!)

The program:

Personally, I think the intention of this tango program wasn't so much a sassy, sexy throwback to El Tango de Roxanne. El Tango de Roxanne was a program that snapped to get your attention and made you stop in your tracks to watch (or make you walk into a telephone pole because you were too busy paying attention to her). This is not that program. Instead, this program was choreographed to be a slow burning program, something that excited every single one of your senses and made your heart beat fast by the end of it. That program was created not to knock you off your feet, but to make you an addict; to leave you wanting more.

But to be honest, I didn't get any of that watching this performance.

Yuna had the killer instinct today; I could see it, if only barely, but it was there. But the stamina wasn't there and the program certainly there yet. Of course, this is the first outing of the season, so I was really not expecting much, not even from the Great Yuna Kim. And as I have said before, it usually takes another competition or two to have me fall in love with her programs (with the exception of Bond and Homage to Korea).

Was she overscored today? Yes, but this was a senior B competition--these things tend to happen when great skaters compete at a event level that they have clearly surpassed. It happened to Carolina Kostner last year at Challenge Cup and it has happened to Yuna here as well as last year.

The single most useless element in this program was the step sequence. Period. The second most useless thing in the program was the choreographed spiral. Blades of Passion(?) has already pointed this out in full detail, and I 100% agree.

The dress:

To put it bluntly, I wasn't feeling it. It looked like a matronly version of this dress:

http://i.imgur.com/AWmNYob.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2IAjXDG.jpg

I don't think it matched with the program--it was a nice attempt on the costume designer's/Yuna's part, but it didn't click with me. I didn't get the "slow dancing in a burning room" vibe from it. It was more like a mourning dress. Am I being harsh? Probably, but this is my honest opinion.

(HQ Picture of her "Adios Nonino" dress - http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Yu+Na+Kim+ISU+46th+Golden+Spin+Zagreb+Day+bNFAZIBHdyex.jpg)

Overall:

Her performance today lacked a passion that I would like to see by the time she arrives in Sochi. I don't mean sexy, in-your-face passion. I mean understated passion; the kind that creeps up on you and gets you before you even realize it. The kind that you cannot escape because you have been drawn too deep much too fast. I want her to make me believe what her program is trying to convey. Make me a believer like she did in 2010.

"Adios Nonino" needs lots of work that she'll surely put in as the months pass--and more fine-tuning as well. But I can see why K-pop idols like Yonghwa and Lee Joon consider her their "Ideal Girl." By Sochi, I'm sure many more will as well.

(But she really, really, really needs to get there first with this program as well as her SP program.)

bebevia

On the Ice
So at just under 2:40 into the program there feels like a really important part of the music. But the program lacks any momentum building to this climax. It feels like Yuna was just doing a bunch of stuff (including 3+2) and then oh here the music is picking up and she's hurrying to squeeze in the next part. Anyone else have the same feeling?
Unfortunately, this I had too. I was lost when the ending suddenly wrapped up. The music cut was a problem for me, feeling rather disproportionate and small-scaled than how a FS should be. The program itself is less than what she deserves. I love David, but something's getting worn down.

While I appreciate and expected the exotic instrumental, I also expected some strings orchestral arrangement in the mix. I was hoping a slightly speedier version of THIS in the highlight or steps; that would've given the program more scale and grandeur, like her previous FS's Les Mis, Gershwin, and Shez.

Given that, I know this will look 300% better by the Olympics, as Yuna's artistic execution makes a shocking majority of her program qualities. Even in clothes, we've seen her wearing boring things and make it work; she can be in sacs and pull it out with great subtle poses, which is a reason why so many fashion editors have been excited to shoot her (even traditional dancers are not necessarily great models).

BTW, I don't like the dress; it's safe, but we've seen better; plus, it's dated. When she's performing, it looks great, but that's Yuna effect. I saw dresses very similar to her Les Mis, and the wearers instantaneously aged 30 yrs; even Yuna looked broader in that combo of beads and neckline, only compensated by her frame.

In many ways, I wanna blame her agency for not actively participating in her put-together; I always blame agencies.

* Mind you, I'm a negative person.

Last edited:

enzet

On the Ice
Overall, I think the program is not bad but it must be skated with much more convinction, fire, pizzaz etc. others have said it before.
If she has an off day and cannot sell it properly, I'm afraid, it won't do her any service and make all her weaknesses stand out.

On the other hand, if skated to its potential it might be quite powerful and impressive.
I actually like the step sequence this time (which is very rare for me in Yuna's case) but again, she needs much more speed and sharpness to her movements, otherwise it won't work.

I would also like to see more transitions going into her jumps.
Right now they look telegraphed.

I'm not sure if I mean the same thing as others who talk about the program lacking climax but,
after the last layback spin, I don't get what she/Wilson is trying to portray on the ice at all.
One would expect some grand ending but instead it leads absolutely nowhere from there.
A totally random, meaningless spiral with not so great extension that doesn't highlight anything,
no relation between her movements and the intensity of the music whatsoever until the last 2A,
and then the last spin is simply not enough to make a satisfactory ending.
It kind of left me feeling "that was it?" after getting my hopes high that the program would continue building towards the end but instead it sort of fell flat eventually.

I still think that the not so great impression is 70% due to her performance (or lack thereof) in Zagreb though,
and that it should definitely get better from here.
The program itself, while not a masterpiece by any means, is good enough to serve its purpose.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I rewatched the NRW performance of Les Mis. It was harshly criticized by some, but when I saw it again just now, I thought it was a very good music choice (lots of music cuts, but there is nothing wrong with the music being a little episodic if it's done well), the choreography was fitting, and even if she said she was focused on the technical elements, she performed the program and it was always engaging. And it never at any moment felt meandering or aimless. It was like a completed jigsaw puzzle of a beautiful landscape with maybe 1 or 2 pieces missing.

I've rewatched this Adios Nonino about 6 times. I've tried watching the fancam. I've tried closing my eyes during the opening combination. I've tried starting from the 2:54 mark. And each time, I get the feeling that it is inferior to Les Mis, and not just based on my impression of Worlds vs Golden Spin. Even rough-around-the-edges NRW Les Mis was far better. There are little details, little movements, certain elements in Adios that are eye-catchingly stunning in the usual Yuna way, but if Les Mis was a completed puzzle, this one is like a half-completed puzzle where the pieces fit together but are from different images. The steps, the spiral, the layback all make me scratch my head in bewilderment. Yuna is by no means the only one who has a disappointing LP this season, but I hoped she might buck the trend and she hasn't for me. I'll hold out hope that she makes a performance that is 10x better in Sochi.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Sometimes, no matter how many times you watch something, you only see what you want to see.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Sometimes, no matter how many times you watch something, you only see what you want to see.
I will say that after repeated viewing I noticed certain details more and could follow the logic of what parts of the music a couple of the jumps were meant to highlight, but overall I was still left unconvinced. Do you think I've been unfair? We all know Yuna looks much better when she's clean but I still think the NRW skate had something this program lacked despite not having the clean bonus, and I didn't need to watch it more than twice to pick up on it.

hurrah

Medalist
The program itself isn't bad. It's just that Yuna in Croatia wasn't at her best. Speed, power, deep edges, sharp movements, smooth landings on her jumps were all kind of missing, and without that, her poor leg lines and general lack of extension and flexibility were apparent. Once she can regain her old form, the program will be fine.

Krislite

Medalist
(Thank you, Krislite for the mashup video!)

The program:

Personally, I think the intention of this tango program wasn't so much a sassy, sexy throwback to El Tango de Roxanne. El Tango de Roxanne was a program that snapped to get your attention and made you stop in your tracks to watch (or make you walk into a telephone pole because you were too busy paying attention to her). This is not that program. Instead, this program was choreographed to be a slow burning program, something that excited every single one of your senses and made your heart beat fast by the end of it. That program was created not to knock you off your feet, but to make you an addict; to leave you wanting more.

[...]

Her performance today lacked a passion that I would like to see by the time she arrives in Sochi. I don't mean sexy, in-your-face passion. I mean understated passion; the kind that creeps up on you and gets you before you even realize it. The kind that you cannot escape because you have been drawn too deep much too fast. I want her to make me believe what her program is trying to convey. Make me a believer like she did in 2010.

[...]

That's exactly the kind of "passion" I was talking about, but couldn't quite describe. You articulated it really well! I don't want sexy, winking, hip shaking and come-hither looks that people seem to think of with the words "fire" and "passion".

However, I'm sure with time it will come. Yuna was tired, nervous and worried about her stamina (by her own admission, not me mind-reading), so she had to reserve most of her energy on making sure she executed the rest of her elements. Also, after her LP practice in Zagred, she had this to say about the program:

"It's been only recent that my stamina and health was finally ready to digest the program, if not perfectly. I still need more time to perfect it."

"It's difficult because there are no moments of respite but when it's done well, it's an excellent program. I shall continue to work on it to make even more perfect till the Olympics."

Translation by Realdeal over at YNKF: source link: http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4884&view=findpost&p=121168

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't like this program at all. This program showcases her weakness, lack of stretch.

Barb

Record Breaker
Yuna´s quote: "It's difficult because there are no moments of respite but when it's done well, it's an excellent program. I shall continue to work on it to make even more perfect till the Olympics."

I think the program has enough moments of respire :scratch:, at least 3 (poses)

ks777

Record Breaker
Yuna´s quote: "It's difficult because there are no moments of respite but when it's done well, it's an excellent program. I shall continue to work on it to make even more perfect till the Olympics."

I think the program has enough moments of respire :scratch:, at least 3

Even more perfect?? It's not well choreographed nor performed at all. Yuna please point your toe when you are moving your feet... I really like her with a dynamic music, she should consider bringing back her old program. This program reminds me of Asada's LP at Vancouver. It's just not suited for her.

Krislite

Medalist

I think the program has enough moments of respire :scratch:, at least 3

Yes, let's contradict Yuna and tell her "you should feel rested at points x, y and z". Why aren't you feeling that way!? I know your physical condition better than you.