Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Yuna's free program to Adios Nonino - Review

Krislite

Medalist
ITA
I wonder if Yuna fans, having waited so long to see her new programs, are just working out their own protracted anticipation-induced anxiety by finding faults with this program, in an attempt to understand their post-traumatic fan syndrome.

LOL. Lest you think I'm finding faults, I actually love it. There are parts that I think needs improvement (step sequence, choreographic sequence), but this has not shaken my uberness. ;)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I don't like it. When the music started I was thinking about Liza Tuk's Adios Nonino, and how much fire she had performing that SP her first senior GP season, and Yuna really does not have anything on Liza.
I agree that this piece of music simply remind me of Liza's program that she used not just for one season. I do like the opening portion of the program which sounds somber and mature.

bmelanie

On the Ice
And all those who keep insisting on "faking", injury or humility, candidness or publicity, better take this to heart.

Agreed. She's really one of the most down-to-earth athletes - I was so struck by how she never made too much of her injury, simply that there was one and that it was a common thing for athletes.

Interview with Yuna on Korean news...

Q. Aren't you nervous about post-career life?
A. I am nervous. I've been figure skating since I was 7. I've never done anything else. I don't know if I'll be good at anything else. I'm afraid of starting from a blank page.

The same blank page that Michelle Kwan faced, and look at her now! In the short run, Yuna has her responsibilities to the 2018 winter Olympic games, her commitment as a spokesperson for Unicef, and who knows how many other irons in the fire.

After that, I can't wait to see how her "long program" unfolds.

bellamie

Spectator
I saw a modest and refined beauty based on masterful skating skill in the Yuna's lp, though Yuna was a little bit cautious. Especially Her stepsquence was more beautiful and skillful than any other ladys for me. And I think it will be more improved. Many people seem to have a fixed idea about tango.

Peach

Rinkside
I think people are being way too hard on her. She recently had a minor injury and this was her first competition of this season. I think missing her 3-3 in the beginning really messed her up. She looked like she was surprised and didn't expect that to happen. Also, last year most people said bad things about her programs. Initially, I didn't like it either, but look what happened lol. She completely nailed her performance at the Worlds. She just needs to work on it and practice more. I'm also glad that she's going to compete at Korean nationals. It's going to help her a lot

thinspread

On the Ice
The same blank page that Michelle Kwan faced, and look at her now! In the short run, Yuna has her responsibilities to the 2018 winter Olympic games, her commitment as a spokesperson for Unicef, and who knows how many other irons in the fire.

Yes, I can really sympathize now with how Michelle fans must have felt 8 years ago.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
I get the whole picture & air that Yuna intends to convey (but failed to render well at Golden Spin). But I cannot express well that here with my crap English. :laugh:
Anyways, key is what Yuna performs at the best condition. There should not be nervousness and lack of stamina/confidence. As can see from that Yuna's Gershwin at bad condition gives very different impression from Gershwin at good condition unlike her Schehe etc.
So I pray for Yuna's health & good conditioning.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I saw a modest and refined beauty based on masterful skating skill in the Yuna's lp, though Yuna was a little bit cautious. Especially Her stepsquence was more beautiful and skillful than any other ladys for me. And I think it will be more improved. Many people seem to have a fixed idea about tango.

Welcome to Golden Skate, bellamie!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yuna's lp is a work in progress. It is mellowing like fine wine. She will develop the nuances and have more confidence int he program and it will show with conviction once she practices and competes with it more. don't worry Yuna fans.

minze

Medalist
You just took the words out of my mouth.

Only a few people in this forum insuniated Yuna was faking injury. However, what I think is that people quoestioned the severity of the injury. People like Carolina, Elizavetha and even Elena at the NHK trophy performed with injuries. So, Yes Yuna was injured, but because she does not need to prove anything, she chose to skip the GP. Because correct me if I am wrong before in 2008 she had severe back pain and still attended most of the events.
I dont think the GP circut excite Yuna Kim anyomore because she does have enough of those medals and I will say it again. Nothing else to prove.

miki88

Medalist

Didn't she say she wanted to be on the IOC committee someday? Well as so many champions before her, she could become a skating commentator in the future.

elee63

Final Flight
And it's pretty much official. She says she's considering/probably going to be

at Korean nationals...

MiRé

Match Penalty
People who are not fond of Yuna's program should ask themselves, which skater in current discipline can perform Yuna's program? IMHO, there's no other skater who can perform Yuna's LP. No one has the enough stamina(heck Yuna doesn't even have it 100% yet), quality of the jumps, and the power to execute this program. So they should think this before criticize this program. Of course, Yuna wasn't perfect at Golden Spin, but pretty sure no one can replicate a program like hers. Again, I'm not saying she's perfect, but no ones comes even close to her performance at Golden Spin. Imagine what she can do if her condition is at 100% :p

aftertherain

Record Breaker
People who are not fond of Yuna's program should ask themselves, which skater in current discipline can perform Yuna's program? IMHO, there's no other skater who can perform Yuna's LP. No one has the enough stamina(heck Yuna doesn't even have it 100% yet), quality of the jumps, and the power to execute this program. So they should think this before criticize this program. Of course, Yuna wasn't perfect at Golden Spin, but pretty sure no one can replicate a program like hers. Again, I'm not saying she's perfect, but no ones comes even close to her performance at Golden Spin. Imagine what she can do if her condition is at 100% :p

Uh, no they shouldn't. This is a thread about how people feel about her program to Adios Nonino. It should not be influenced by whether or not you think other people can do it better, but whether or not she can improve on it.

"I don't like this program."
"Well, can anyone else do it like she can."
"I guess you're right. I like it now because my opinion is influenced by how her competitors might perform to this program."

Yeah, no.

I hardly think those who are not fond of it should make their decision on who could or could not hypothetically do it better. That's just a dumb way to look at things.

And it stands now, this program needs revision and improvement, no matter who she is. Period.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Imagine how Kostner skating a perfect seven-clean-triples Bolero would be :sarcasm: but (VERY SADLY) she has never done it and there is a small chance that she'll ever skate a program as challenging as Bolero (3S after 3:50 minutes of competition!) cleanly with 7 triples... But still this doesn't make her mistakes less important ;)

Ven

Match Penalty
Yuna is the greatest skater of all time, my favorite. I'm sure that by the Olympics she will have it all figured out and perform her very best. That said, there's nothing wrong with having reservations about her LP in its unfinished form. I'm more than satisfied with her season debut, and just wish she will do better at the Olympics, both technically and mastering the program itself. Imagine if she had skated same at Worlds last year as NRW, how the world would have been deprived of one of the greatest performances of all-time!

And someone else said elsewhere I talk about the same things for the last 2 days...for one weekend in 9 months I get to gush and nitpick over my favorite's new programs. I won't apologize for it. :)

EricRohmer

On the Ice

I am often confused whether you are a yunafan or fake fan.
Forgive me if I was rude. :)