Germany can be out of the Olympics due to the anti-gay law | Golden Skate

Germany can be out of the Olympics due to the anti-gay law

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I can't read the article so I don't know what it says, but I can tell you that the german athletes are going to Sochi. Definitely. It's just that our president doesn't want to go for various reason (anti-gay-law is one of them). But he is not participating as an athlete. And he has no right to forbid any athlete who worked hard for this opportunity to go.

MalloryArcher

On the Ice

I would have crazy respect for any nation that pulled out of the Olympics over the ridiculous, primitive and counter-productive LGBT laws in Russia, be it Germany or Netherlands. It would really make a statement about what we in the international community find acceptable and unacceptable, and that's exactly what this Olympics needs. But I suppose the athletes and fans still deserve their moments, and perhaps it would be even better if the Germans marched in rainbow uniforms and beat the Russians in pairs by skating to music by a gay Russian composer, no less.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I would have crazy respect for any nation that pulled out of the Olympics over the ridiculous, primitive and counter-productive LGBT laws in Russia, be it Germany or Netherlands. It would really make a statement about what we in the international community find acceptable and unacceptable, and that's exactly what this Olympics needs. But I suppose the athletes and fans still deserve their moments, and perhaps it would be even better if the Germans marched in rainbow uniforms and beat the Russians in pairs by skating to music by a gay Russian composer, no less.

What do V/T have to do with LGBT and Rus law?? It's a stupid redemption for me =/

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh yeah. I am not a fan of theirs but the world went to Adolph Hitler's Olympics and stuck it to them!!!! I don't see why an anti-gay country like Russia shouldn't have it stuck to them......
I want Aliona & Robin to go to the Olympics, no matter what!

Oh yeah. I am not a fan of theirs but the world went to Adolph Hitler's Olympics and stuck it to them!!!! I don't see why an anti-gay country like Russia shouldn't have it stuck to them......

Chris, that's a really excellent point! May the spirits of Jesse Owens and Ralph Metcalfe strengthen athletes from all over the world as they compete in Russia.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

nobody is demanded to come very simple, and Im sure V/T wont mind S/S not comepting too

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
What do V/T have to do with LGBT and Rus law?? It's a stupid redemption for me =/

Because their gold medal wouldn't be just for them, but for Russia. too. I admit I would find it some kind of poetic justice if Russian athletes did not do well at these Olympics, just because of the anti-human rights path this country has taken. The athletes at the Olympics are ambassadors of course for their countries, and V/T + other Russian athletes are ambassadors for a regressive, homophobic country. It's not that they don't deserve to win or even skate well, of course they do, but I would prefer to see countries with more positive, inclusive ideals do well at the Olympics. That's my opinion. I have nothing against the athletes personally.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Because their gold medal wouldn't be just for them, but for Russia. too. I admit I would find it some kind of poetic justice if Russian athletes did not do well at these Olympics, just because of the anti-human rights path this country has taken. The athletes at the Olympics are ambassadors of course for their countries, and V/T + other Russian athletes are ambassadors for a regressive, homophobic country. It's not that they don't deserve to win or even skate well, of course they do, but I would prefer to see countries with more positive, inclusive ideals do well at the Olympics. That's my opinion. I have nothing against the athletes personally.

then dont come on this thread, btw this is a ****figure skating thread
this is not the place for political or some funny single country human rights ideas, issues or whatever

lol, wishing failure on athletes for a single countries actions
oh world ? what has happened

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
this is not the place for political or some funny single country human rights ideas, issues or whatever

lol, wishing failure on athletes for a single countries actions
oh world ? what has happened

This person WAS responding to the tread.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
This person WAS responding to the tread.

and did you read what this user said ?
he/she wished for failure for all athletes representing a country

clearly a troll who probably doesn't know anything about figure skating
and registered for political purposes

Buttercup

Record Breaker
This thread deals with an issue at the intersection of skating and politics. While I don't share MalloryArcher's opinion - I want S/S to beat V/T mostly because I adore Aliona and Robin - I think it is very much on topic and certainly don't consider her a troll who's here to post only about politics. Which would have been obvious had you looked at her post history instead of proceeding immediately to the insult portion of your day.

Your constant homophobic and bigoted comments, on the other hand, actually are offensive.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Anyone who wants to use the spotlight of the Sochi Olympics for their own political gains is totally selfish and offensive at the best!

elif

Medalist

Don't you think Olympics should be about peace and unity of countries/continents, not about revenge. :rolleye: I would prefer to see peoples who has more positive attitude, watching and hopefully enjoying from Olympics.