Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Germany can be out of the Olympics due to the anti-gay law

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    then dont come on this thread, btw this is a ****figure skating thread
    this is not the place for political or some funny single country human rights ideas, issues or whatever

lol, wishing failure on athletes for a single countries actions
    oh world ? what has happened
    This person WAS responding to the tread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    This person WAS responding to the tread.
    and did you read what this user said ?
    he/she wished for failure for all athletes representing a country

clearly a troll who probably doesn't know anything about figure skating
    and registered for political purposes

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    then dont come on this thread, btw this is a ****figure skating thread
    this is not the place for political or some funny single country human rights ideas, issues or whatever
    This thread deals with an issue at the intersection of skating and politics. While I don't share MalloryArcher's opinion - I want S/S to beat V/T mostly because I adore Aliona and Robin - I think it is very much on topic and certainly don't consider her a troll who's here to post only about politics. Which would have been obvious had you looked at her post history instead of proceeding immediately to the insult portion of your day.

Your constant homophobic and bigoted comments, on the other hand, actually are offensive.

Custom Title
    Anyone who wants to use the spotlight of the Sochi Olympics for their own political gains is totally selfish and offensive at the best!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MalloryArcher View Post
    Because their gold medal wouldn't be just for them, but for Russia. too. I admit I would find it some kind of poetic justice if Russian athletes did not do well at these Olympics, just because of the anti-human rights path this country has taken. The athletes at the Olympics are ambassadors of course for their countries, and V/T + other Russian athletes are ambassadors for a regressive, homophobic country. It's not that they don't deserve to win or even skate well, of course they do, but I would prefer to see countries with more positive, inclusive ideals do well at the Olympics. That's my opinion. I have nothing against the athletes personally.
    Don't you think Olympics should be about peace and unity of countries/continents, not about revenge. I would prefer to see peoples who has more positive attitude, watching and hopefully enjoying from Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MalloryArcher View Post
    I admit I would find it some kind of poetic justice if Russian athletes did not do well at these Olympics, just because of the anti-human rights path this country has taken.
    Are you kidding? You want to hold the athletes responsible for the actions of politicians? Just for that, I hope the Russians medal at every event!

You want to see countries with more "positive, inclusive ideals" do well...and who would that be? (Though if you were suggesting medals for Team Australia, I wouldn't argue. )

Banned
    Brava to Angela M. taking a firm public stance against the Russian law. This is all I can say, as her move does not appear to involve the athletes directly.

Custom Title
    I live in Russia, I don't like Putin and I haven't voted for him but STILL I find such comments, as let Russian athletes lose because we want good countries to win, quite offensive. It's like every Russian is homophobic and so on.. Oh, I forgot. I live on vodka and balalaika music, no?Of cooooourse I'm a redneck cause I'm Russian, yeeah? So, I find it sad when people judge the whole country for the action of their president =/ Prejudice-prejudice..
    PS - Sorry for this post

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    I live in Russia, I don't like Putin and I haven't voted for him
    Then you are minority there. Last month or so, there was a news report in US said that Putin's popularity has gone down to the lowest point of 13 years in power which is 62%.

Back on topic. I don't think Russia cares for what Germany does. It is not a few countries dictate the Olympics anymore.

I love Russia's rich culture. I cannot wait to see the Sochi Olympics and the cultural reports of this country on my TV!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Don't you think Olympics should be about peace and unity of countries/continents, not about revenge. I would prefer to see peoples who has more positive attitude, watching and hopefully enjoying from Olympics.
    seriously though, registered trolls who used only GS to make some political threads are getting tiresome
    I remember a few months back at the height of the the so called Sochi Gay Rights etc. that political trolls were registering then asking why the threads were moved to politics thread , then some were even asking why they need a minimum post before they can post in politics thread,
    seriously this is GS for figure skating !!!!!

btw, where have most of them gone now ? they just magically disappear
    and will probably come back by February just in time to spew another political propaganda

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    I live in Russia, I don't like Putin and I haven't voted for him but STILL I find such comments, as let Russian athletes lose because we want good countries to win, quite offensive. It's like every Russian is homophobic and so on.. Oh, I forgot. I live on vodka and balalaika music, no?Of cooooourse I'm a redneck cause I'm Russian, yeeah? So, I find it sad when people judge the whole country for the action of their president =/ Prejudice-prejudice..
    PS - Sorry for this post
    I agree that ill-wishing any athlete, even just in theory, crosses a line. I'd love Aliona and Robin to win because I love their skating, but if V/T win, it will be because they skate better, and I'll be satisfied.

We mentioned Jesse Owens and Ralph Metcalfe, two black athletes who won in Germany in 1936, earlier on this thread. It's also important to remember long jumper Lutz Long, of Germany, who is reputed to have befriended Jesse Owens with some advice before a jump. Owens won the gold, and Long won the silver in that event. Sports is one place where adversarial countries can meet and maybe lessen tensions, and it's crucial that this remains a possibility.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    In fact, isn't that what the Olympics is meant to be about, in part?

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    Brava to Angela M. taking a firm public stance against the Russian law. This is all I can say, as her move does not appear to involve the athletes directly.
    It wasn't Angie M., she is our chancellor. Germany also has a president. But our president doesn't hold any political power at all, he is more of a representative figure in our politic system. The current president is Joachim Gauck, and he is the one who doesn't want to attend Sochi. Which is completely in his rights to do so. But nobody expects the athletes to follow that example. I mean, that would be totally unfair. And hey, Germany happily participated at Beijing in 2008. Pretty much hyprocite if they start to cry foul game now at the Winter Olympics. I just think of the athletes first and I think it is unfair to hold them to anything political. Sometimes you just have to wonder why some countries are chosen though. Quatar for the football world cup is one of the worst countries imaginable and yet.....but it is not in the hand of the athlete to decide that. They just want their moment and they should get it. It is hard work to get there.

Custom Title
    I'm really of two minds about this whole thing. Normally, I'd say no. Don't boycott the athletes, the've worked too hard for politics to interfere. Just talk to athlete who couldn't compete in Moscow because of the 1980 boycott or in LA because of the 1984 boycotts. It's not fair to them. I certainly agree that wishing the athletes, who work their whole lives for this moment to suffer for the actions of their politicians is cruel and ignorant. They dedicate their whole lives to the Olympics, why should they pay?

In this case, I understand a boycott more as the laws may put those of the gay athletes, and the gay people in attendance etc in danger, which is more serious. I hope that whoever skates the best wins at the Olympics, whether it's S/S or V/T. I'm glad S/S are going to Sochi, since this will be their last year it would be sad for them to miss the Olympics. I think it would be a stronger message if a country with major human rights issues aren't chosen to host the Olympics. The Olympics is supposed to be about uniting the world in the name of sport, and human rights records should be a consideration.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Are you kidding? You want to hold the athletes responsible for the actions of politicians? Just for that, I hope the Russians medal at every event!

You want to see countries with more "positive, inclusive ideals" do well...and who would that be? (Though if you were suggesting medals for Team Australia, I wouldn't argue. )
    Me too!

LOL I hope all the Chinese athletes lose because they represent opresseres of Tibet! LOL! Talk about the wrong target!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast