Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NBC Coverage of Grand Prix Final - December 8, 2013

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    If you aren't proud of yourself, if you don't have self-assurance, if you don't lay down a gauntlet, if you don't have a winning attitude, then you end up like Jeremy Abbott. All talent but doesn't compete very well.
    Nonsense, you can have a winning attitude and still be respectful and gracious to your competitors. Yuzuru here and the likes of Daisuke Takahashi, who's beloved not only for his skating but his humble personality, come to mind.

Anyway, this was an unfortunate thing to say but I think Patrick just had another foot in mouth moment here, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Still, he has to be more careful of his words from this point on - in the runup to the Olympics, people are going to be analyzing his every word and he needs to expect that. Hoping he gets through the Olympics with minimal controversy, so the attention can be solely on his skating.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Sorry - I guess I heard what I wanted to. But I think people are overreacting. If you aren't proud of yourself, if you don't have self-assurance, if you don't lay down a gauntlet, if you don't have a winning attitude, then you end up like Jeremy Abbott. All talent but doesn't compete very well. (and I do like Jeremy, don't get me wrong) It seems like some hang on every word out of Patrick's mouth and turn it into a negative. But other skaters can crow about themselves and they're given a pass....a younger Plushenko comes to mind! He got beat today. He wasn't blaming it on anybody or making any excuses. And in a way he did "let" Hanyu win by not skating his best. I seriously doubt it was purposeful. I'm still picking him to win the OGM - and I'm not even Canadian.

The best man is going to win regardless of what they say prior to the competition....it's going to be a good competition.
    Chan, Takahashi, and Hanyu all seem to have a lot of respect for one another in their interactions. They all want to win though. It wasn't a good choice of words, but hardly worth getting upset over IMO. At the Olympics, the skating and scores are what will matter, not what any skater says or doesn't say to the media beforehand. May the best man win in Sochi! I hope everyone skates well so we can enjoy a lot of fabulous skating!

ETA: Just watched the broadcast. Seems like it was something Patrick may have been thinking but SHOULD NOT have said out loud. I stand by what I said above - that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Let's hope that the skating will do ALL of the talking at the Olympics. No controversies for any figure skaters in Sochi please.

I'm still disgusted with NBC for showing very little pairs skating & ice dancing!

Custom Title
    He got beat today......And in a way he did "let" Hanyu win by not skating his best.
    Chan didn't skate his best in the SP---he doubled the lutz. But he DID skate his best in the FS. He landed two quads and the 3a, no falls; he got L4 on footwork and 2 spins and L3 on his final spin.

Hanyu fell on his first quad, got L3 on his footwork, l4 on 2 spins and L1 on his final spin, yet he won the FS by .08.

Doesn't look to me as if Chan 'let' Hanyu do anything. Chan tried to win and failed. The same thing could happen in Sochi.

Hanyu has the capability to land two quads and two 3as in combination in the FS, and that makes him a threat.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    I'm still disgusted with NBC for showing very little pairs skating & ice dancing!
    Could not agree with you more. What it is, is EMBARRASSING and SHAMEFUL. All of the disciplines have fans and especially given the consistent strength of the US in Ice Dance, it actually borders on malpractice from a journalism standpoint, in my opinion.

Also, I love Johhny and Tara - but I really wish the two of them would talk LESS during the performance. They can chatter away all they want before and after, but DURING the performance, it's about 50% too much and 100% annoying.

Custom Title
    I'm with Johnny...Chan skated clean but he did not skate his best. A lot was missing from his skating today imo. He was just getting through it. His presentation, footwork, edges wasn't as on point. That natural quality he brings was missing and the height of his jumps wasn't there. Now I'm not a fan of Chan the person but he is an awesome skater. He just was not himself out there.

Custom Title
    Figure skating commentary should be sparse during performances, and when something is said, it should be concise. Just the right comments at the right time can really add to the pleasure of watching the performance, so it need not be all silence, but definitely the tendency by broadcasters seems to be to run their mouths.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Mao Asada was in a class by herself.
    I agree. She is just classy and elegant. Her ss across the whole ice is on another level. Minus Mao, Adelina and Ash everyone looks junior to me. I like them and can't wait til they grow.

It's clockwork for Chan to bomb yet another interview. I love all the reactions and drama

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    Julia's jumps seem very small to me, too.
    I'd rather see small jumps over attempted big jumps with falls.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    Julia is good but there are at least five other skaters I would rather see on the podium. She is not great yet.
    There have been skaters on the podium in the past who were not great.

Custom Title
    I reacted to chain's statement as many of you did, but on reviewing I really think he was being sarcastic and it misfired.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    Nonsense, you can have a winning attitude and still be respectful and gracious to your competitors. Yuzuru here and the likes of Daisuke Takahashi, who's beloved not only for his skating but his humble personality, come to mind.

Anyway, this was an unfortunate thing to say but I think Patrick just had another foot in mouth moment here, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Still, he has to be more careful of his words from this point on - in the runup to the Olympics, people are going to be analyzing his every word and he needs to expect that. Hoping he gets through the Olympics with minimal controversy, so the attention can be solely on his skating.
    ITA. For the record, I wasn't extremely upset or anything, just wanted to note that I took pause at the statement, as my husband, who was watching with me. I don't think Patrick is a bad person, just, as pitterpatter noted, puts his foot in his mouth with what he says sometimes.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    ... It seems like some hang on every word out of Patrick's mouth and turn it into a negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I reacted to chain's statement as many of you did, but on reviewing I really think he was being sarcastic and it misfired.
    I agree that Chan's comment was intended to be ironic and self-deprecating.

~~~~~~~~~~

The following is a bit of a non sequitur, but Chan kept the media at TEB waiting many minutes in order to spend time with fans first -- as reported by one of our own at GS, Sara M.

The point is that pleasing the media is not Chan's #1 priority -- and that is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

SaraM shared her observations in a TEB thread. Her real goal had been to meet Jason Brown (who also was/is a lovely person), and then she happened to meet Chan too.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraM View Post
    ... I also met Patrick and boy was that funny, first of all i have a newfound respect for Patrick now, he is not cocky whatsoever and you can see that he appreciates his fans, he was willingly posing for pictures then kathy came and started chase everyone away, babling about theyre on a tight schedule and he needs to rest, she was running in and out of the elevator like a headless chicken like shes so important and kept saying come patrick, Patrick just ignored her and kept interacting with the fans, very classy! Also i noticed after he got his record score today, all the media and everyone was around him and he just left them and instead started signing autograps for fans from the tribune for like 15 min! And the whole time the media wanted to talk to him but he just kept signing!! ...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I agree that Chan's comment was intended to be ironic and self-deprecating.

~~~~~~~~~~

The following is a bit of a non sequitur, but Chan kept the media at TEB waiting many minutes in order to spend time with fans first -- as reported by one of our own at GS, Sara M.

The point is that pleasing the media is not Chan's #1 priority -- and that is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

SaraM shared her observations in a TEB thread. Her real goal had been to meet Jason Brown (who also was/is a lovely person), and then she happened to meet Chan too.
    He was smiling when he said it. Yeah, probably not the best thing to say, but he seemed to be joking and being sarcastic. We are also not shown what the interviewer asked him, we're we? I deal with press junkets and media a lot, and interviewers are not stupid and they know how to lead and it can be very confusing when they only air segments and questions are cut out. That said, I like how candid he is, but he cod use a bit more media training (it's not easy though people!). Also, he is allowed to have confidence, they all are, they are world class athletes in their sports. Honestly, as much as I like Hanyu, and he killed it this weekend, I'm over the whole him not believing he's a threat. Like, come on lol, you're amazing and people have been touting you as the next big thing for the last few years and you are proving yourself. You are a threat, own it and stop the shocked humble stuff. Lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast