NBC Coverage of Grand Prix Final - December 8, 2013 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

NBC Coverage of Grand Prix Final - December 8, 2013

People like Muhammad Ali and MC Hammer were professional entertainers. In particular, the prize fighting game is expected to stage pre-fight confrontations where the fighters stand chin to chin jawboning at each other for a while, then take a wild swing and knock out the other guy's manager. Oh, the masculinity of it all! :)

Still, yeah: "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't. George thinks he will, but I know he won't." :rock:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
First of all, I'm not saying the statement is controversial or even that big of a concern. Nor do I consider it a huge injustice or travesty. Just that it gave me pause. As it did for my husband.

And my husband even said "I'm sure Patrick Chan is a nice guy, but he really comes off as a douche with that statement." That's all he said. He didn't make a big deal about it. In fact that's all he said about it. That conversation lasted all but 10 minutes on our way home from dinner.

And Johnny Weir's statements are just as questionable. Had I been around for that comment in 2008, I probably would have reacted the same way. For the record, I didn't care for the fact that he was picking on Patrick during his commentary of 2010 Worlds on Universal Sports.

In the end, I agree Patrick's statement wasn't all that maddening, but again as 100yen pointed out, it's worth noting that casual fans (or even non skating fans) are taking pause.

LOL Mrs. P - always one to start a tempest in a teapot and then try to wriggle out of it -- this time by blaming the poor husband. ;)

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Of course the Marlie/Voir rivalry is very much alive. It's been the same story for the last five years. Marlie races out to an early lead; Voir catches up; and then the team who best hits their levels and makes the fewest mistakes wins Olympic and/or World Gold. I'm still perplexed why this seems to be a "new" story every year.

NBC's coverage of figure skating is, on the whole, atrociously jingoistic. Always has been. Why is this shocking too? I praise the heavens for the internet, because now I don't have to listen to the rah rah USA crap parade on NBC--even if this means sitting through commercials for every known medical malady on Latvian television. Actually, the Latvian commercials were hilarious and definitely far more entertaining than listening to some NBC talking head speaking out of, well let's just say, a completely different orifice!

:agree:

roundboypete

Rinkside
Spin like a pinwheel, jump like a rabbit,
Hanyu wants gold, but I won’t let him grab it.
Fans on the Internet say “tslk nice,”
But I’ll be all over Hanyu like white on rice!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
LOL Mrs. P - always one to start a tempest in a teapot and then try to wriggle out of it -- this time by blaming the poor husband. ;)

:rolleye:

My husband doesn't need your pity, thank you.

Why you insist on painting me as some sort of troublemaker on these boards is a complete mystery to me.

Spin like a pinwheel, jump like a rabbit,
Hanyu wants gold, but I won’t let him grab it.
Fans on the Internet say “tslk nice,”
But I’ll be all over Hanyu like white on rice!

Nice. :)

spikydurian

Medalist
He surely could talk fast. Very interesting character and boxer. Could never forget his legendary fight with Joe Frazier, the day where I was taking my driving signage test. Tester's eyes were on the t.v. in the far corner of the room watching the fight instead of listening to me. No complaint. It didn't disadvantage me. :biggrin:
However, sad to see him now a fraction of his former self.

LRK

Record Breaker
He surely could talk fast. Very interesting character and boxer. Could never forget his legendary fight with Joe Frazier, the day where I was taking my driving signage test. Tester's eyes were on the t.v. in the far corner of the room watching the fight instead of listening to me. No complaint. It didn't disadvantage me. :biggrin:
However, sad to see him now a fraction of his former self.

Yes and no, though. I mean, yes his physical state is sad - but I don't think he really is a "fraction of his former self". I've given this a lot of thought, and it seems to me that, in a sense, he has prevailed. Everything he used to boast of - his speed, his strength, his looks - have been taken from him. And yet he remains, in essense, the same person. He's not given up on life or himself. Now that is mental fortitude - that is greatness!