Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Effects of teen growth spurts on skaters

Whatever "triggers" it does not mean that we should not try to be responsible about what we say and do, though. I have no power over anyone else's actions or thoughts - but what I do and say, I can and should control.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    In her interview with TSL, Mary Beth Marley emphasized that it wasn't anything with her coaches or anything anyone said that triggered the issue. She made a point of saying that the internal pressure she felt to be a certain type or to be successful was a bigger factor in the problem.

That said, I think some people are ridiculous regarding what is "ideal" for an athlete.
    I agree. Some people can be unreasonable for what is ideal, not every skater looks like a ballerina, and comments about a skater's weight in general aren't productive. We're just speculating on ways to help rebuild a teenage girl's confidence.

Custom Title
    Effects of teenaged growth spurt on skaters:

1. Michelle Kwan looked like a mature artist instead of a cricket and could achieve skating immortality. (Envision Song of the Black Swan skated by thirteen-year-old Michelle.)
    2. Irina Slutskaya could spring into the air like a leopard and power ahead of most of the competition.
    3. Shizuka Arakawa could show us what truly majestic skating looks like.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Whatever "triggers" it does not mean that we should not try to be responsible about what we say and do, though. I have no power over anyone else's actions or thoughts - but what I do and say, I can and should control.
    ITA. We control what we say and think, and if we're being over critical of skaters, we should learn to be more positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Effects of teenaged growth spurt on skaters:

1. Michelle Kwan looked like a mature artist instead of a cricket and could achieve skating immortality. (Envision Song of the Black Swan skated by thirteen-year-old Michelle.)
    2. Irina Slutskaya could spring into the air like a leopard and power ahead of most of the competition.
    3. Shizuka Arakawa could show us what truly majestic skating looks like.
    Yup, growth spurts and maturing can help a skater when they harness their new strengths, as the three you mentioned did.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3