Lunch and Dinner | Golden Skate

Lunch and Dinner

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
There seems to be a plethora of reasonably priced eateries close to the arena. I have been looking up the menus and reasonable prices and I don't think we shall starve!
There are six on my list to try....depending on the practice/competition schedule....
McGann's
Harp
Porters
The Fours
West end Johnnies
Mulligans

So much food, so little time.
If anyone has anything to say for or against these places, please speak up.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A poster from FSU who is working with the LOC posted info on restaurants around the different venues. The poster (Boston2014) has a handy list of the various names of different areas of Boston. Here is the post...but I am having trouble with the link but this might work:

http://www.zagat.com/p/boston#verti...rhoods[]=Waterfront&orderby[]=cost&sort[]=asc

Seaport / Fort Point (home to the BCEC, Westin, Renaissance and Seaport hotels)
Waterfront (runs between Seaport and North End - home to the Marriott Longwharf)
Financial District (abuts the Waterfront and North End and home to the Hilton)
North End (Boston's version of Little Italy and home to Anthony, of Prince Spaghetti fame)
Leather District (abuts the Financial District and across the channel from Port Point / Seaport)
Faneuil Hall (technically in the Financial District, but it's its own little mall area, complete with awesome food court)

I didn't include Chinatown because there are just too many places there.

Boston2014 says it is fine for me to post this here on Golden Skate so no worries that I am "stealing" info :laugh:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Awesome thanks! Eating is my favorite part of traveling... :biggrin:

Will have to make sure to get a few runs in during the week so I don't gain 10 pounds!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm posting this so Mrs. P can gain even more weight! Morton's Steak house is next door to the Seaport Hotel and they run a special in the bar Monday thru Friday. Here is the link: http://www.mortons.com/bostonseaport/bar/

You must sit in the bar and it runs from 4:30 - 6:30 and 9:00 to close...but the food is supposed to be very good.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
I'm from Boston. Here's a few of my favorite places.

Gaslight - this place makes you feel like you're back in the 40's. It's a little pricey for dinner, but they do an excellent reasonably priced brunch. Five stars! Located near Back Bay

Fuji at Kendall - great sushi place. They do a lot of fusion food. It's located in Cambridge, which just about 2 miles from the rink. Not far at all.

Cafe Polonia- located in South Boston. The yummiest Polish food you've ever had!

Legal Test Kitchen - owned by Legal Seafoods. Located near the Seaport. great atmosphere.

BTW, I know Cheers is a huge tourist magnet, but I would not recommend this place. It's gross food.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sign me up for the Legal Test Kitchen! When I first saw the name on the Google map, I thought...ok...what's this? A place for new chefs to try out things on real people????

Gaslight - this place makes you feel like you're back in the 40's. It's a little pricey for dinner, but they do an excellent reasonably priced brunch. Five stars! Located near Back Bay

Fuji at Kendall - great sushi place. They do a lot of fusion food. It's located in Cambridge, which just about 2 miles from the rink. Not far at all.

Cafe Polonia- located in South Boston. The yummiest Polish food you've ever had!

Legal Test Kitchen - owned by Legal Seafoods. Located near the Seaport. great atmosphere.

BTW, I know Cheers is a huge tourist magnet, but I would not recommend this place. It's gross food.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Thanks for the suggestions! Will you be at Nationals? It would be awesome to meet! The more the merrier, as they say...

Sign me up for the Legal Test Kitchen! When I first saw the name on the Google map, I thought...ok...what's this? A place for new chefs to try out things on real people????

However, America's Test Kitchen is based in the the Boston area (home to my favorite series of cooking shows/cookbooks/cooking magazines!)

I'm posting this so Mrs. P can gain even more weight! Morton's Steak house is next door to the Seaport Hotel and they run a special in the bar Monday thru Friday. Here is the link: http://www.mortons.com/bostonseaport/bar/

You must sit in the bar and it runs from 4:30 - 6:30 and 9:00 to close...but the food is supposed to be very good.

I'm all about the post-competition happy hour! Let's do it. :)

Everettguy

Rinkside
A few others to try include Salvatore's now open in the Seaport district. Their cheese pizza is amazing as is most of the menu. Pizzeria Regina, Stephanie's on Newbury or Stephanie's on Tremont (I prefer) and try the meatloaf or the roast turkey dinner - huge portions. The Brahmin can be fun (share small plates), Cub Café has an amazing brunch on the weekends; for a large amount of food which is great for groups is Maggianos (not the most authentic Italian eatery in Boston but huge amounts), some pricier options include Capitol Grille, Smith & Wollensky & Grill 23.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! I like their website and I will put Salvatore's on my list...
Chris

A few others to try include Salvatore's now open in the Seaport district. Their cheese pizza is amazing as is most of the menu. Pizzeria Regina, Stephanie's on Newbury or Stephanie's on Tremont (I prefer) and try the meatloaf or the roast turkey dinner - huge portions. The Brahmin can be fun (share small plates), Cub Café has an amazing brunch on the weekends; for a large amount of food which is great for groups is Maggianos (not the most authentic Italian eatery in Boston but huge amounts), some pricier options include Capitol Grille, Smith & Wollensky & Grill 23.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ya know, not being a city person, I have to ask this...we have three pretty good sized hotels in the Championship village....and about six-eight major restaurants around them....maybe I should be putting reservation numbers on my restaurant map?
(Yes, thank you, I do have the Local restaurant Map with the numbers, but I like my map due to its higher resolution....) I am wondering just how many people will be in those three hotels....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ya know, not being a city person, I have to ask this...we have three pretty good sized hotels in the Championship village....and about six-eight major restaurants around them....maybe I should be putting reservation numbers on my restaurant map?
(Yes, thank you, I do have the Local restaurant Map with the numbers, but I like my map due to its higher resolution....) I am wondering just how many people will be in those three hotels....

Probably wouldn't hurt! I think reservations at restaurants around TD Garden may also be a good idea.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey Everettguy, thanks again...you seem to know the eateries....I am just a hick from the sticks...what does it mean when a place like "NoName Restaurant" doesn't put prices on the menu??? If you have to ask, you cant afford it?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for piping in. What do you think of the Whiskey Priest, Atlantic Beer Garden, and Salvatore's. I think those places and the Legal TK will do me nicely on Sun Mon Tues....

Everettguy

Rinkside
Hey Everettguy, thanks again...you seem to know the eateries....I am just a hick from the sticks...what does it mean when a place like "NoName Restaurant" doesn't put prices on the menu??? If you have to ask, you cant afford it?

In my experience if there isn't any prices, you're in for a pricey meal. I'd stick to places with menu / prices showing. When traveling in other cities I've found Yelp to be helpful. I'm not sure where you're staying in the city and that could obviously impact your dining choices. Also, to really save some money, find out if your hotel room has a refrigerator so you can store leftovers. A restaurant like Stephi's will be quite filling and I think tough to eat the whole meal. There are several places near the Garden, such as Boston Beer Works - which is pub style food but large amounts. Depending on the weather, and what you're in the mood for (i.e. sit down meal or something more basic) you can always walk to Faneuil Hall or to the North End.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, that is what I thought. Since I am at the seaport, there are four really good places that look like they actually have prices on the menus...I wonder if there are anything like QuickMarts/drugstores around for various and sundry supplies.?
In my experience if there isn't any prices, you're in for a pricey meal. I'd stick to places with menu / prices showing. When traveling in other cities I've found Yelp to be helpful. I'm not sure where you're staying in the city and that could obviously impact your dining choices. Also, to really save some money, find out if your hotel room has a refrigerator so you can store leftovers. A restaurant like Stephi's will be quite filling and I think tough to eat the whole meal. There are several places near the Garden, such as Boston Beer Works - which is pub style food but large amounts. Depending on the weather, and what you're in the mood for (i.e. sit down meal or something more basic) you can always walk to Faneuil Hall or to the North End.

Everettguy

Rinkside
There's a 7/11 in the area right next to Jerry Remy's (by the way the food there isn't bad - pub style and big portions). Pace & Sons Italian Market has several locations and i think they opened one in the Seaport area. They have good stuff. I am pretty sure that there's a CVS in Downtown Crossing not too far from Seaport but could be about a 25 minute walk.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I copied some info from FSU which mentions a mini-mart although the poster couldn't remember the name:

"There's a new convenience market / mini supermarket that just opened at 361 Congress as well - that's very close to the BCEC. Not sure what it's called as I've only observed it generally on my way to restaurants on that street"

I haven't checked google to see how far that is from BCEC or the Seaport Hotel.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good tips! Jerry Remys isn't even on Google maps...shame on them....I will put it on....
There's a 7/11 in the area right next to Jerry Remy's (by the way the food there isn't bad - pub style and big portions). Pace & Sons Italian Market has several locations and i think they opened one in the Seaport area. They have good stuff. I am pretty sure that there's a CVS in Downtown Crossing not too far from Seaport but could be about a 25 minute walk.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
There is indeed a 7 Eleven in the Seaport World trade center Pier....on my map it goes...
I copied some info from FSU which mentions a mini-mart although the poster couldn't remember the name:

"There's a new convenience market / mini supermarket that just opened at 361 Congress as well - that's very close to the BCEC. Not sure what it's called as I've only observed it generally on my way to restaurants on that street"

I haven't checked google to see how far that is from BCEC or the Seaport Hotel.