Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What changes (if any) should Yuna make to her new programs?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I think those "warhorse" pieces you mention all have overt music and cues. When people say "this is not Olympic music", what they really mean (without realizing) is Adiós Nonino is more subtle, that it lacks obvious emotional cues to tell them how to feel.
    I'd argue it is precisely going against the grain can make her stand out even more. Deliver the unexpected, it shows a higher learning of performance art if the performer doesn't have the familiarity of the music to emote the audience but are to left to her own devises. Her Gershwin is hardly Olympic either in the quieter and almost silent moment and especially with that music cut. Now it is synonymous with an Olympic program by the impression Yuna has made, a sense of play and rift on jazz - little touches here and there, how she fill out the blank spaces with suspenseful movements. A little look, a little pause, a subtle twist of upper body movement, tilt of the head, glide of the blade to accentuate notes etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I'd argue it is precisely going against the grain can make her stand out even more.
    I agree os, I like this choice of program for her. It's definitely more challenging, and from an audience perspective, will leave a different impression. Loud thematic pieces are not the only satisfying concepts, I think A.N. can be a big success for her too.

Btw, I can't imagine a better Olympic performance than Gershwin. It's my favorite 1a or 1b, depending on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    LP - very simple
    go back to Les Miserables FS

her Adios Nino FS is underwhelming and not very Olympics worthy program
    I love her dynamic choreo last year. I love Lark, but this Les Mis was amazing LP. I wish she could have re-used it. Her SP grows on me-her look is flawless-no changes there.

Does anyone think that if Yuna were to come across this and similar threads it would creep her out? I'm sure she would never be caught dead on these forums and being the superstar that she is, she has to deal with unwanted attention and obsessive fans. But still, I find the level of obsession rather disturbing and I'm not even the subject. I understand that the intention is good, but it's like every molecule of her being has to be doing this and that exactly when and where and how or else the Yunaverse is doomed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    Does anyone think that if Yuna were to come across this and similar threads it would creep her out? I'm sure she would never be caught dead on these forums and being the superstar that she is, she has to deal with unwanted attention and obsessive fans. But still, I find the level of obsession rather disturbing and I'm not even the subject. I understand that the intention is good, but it's like every molecule of her being has to be doing this and that exactly when and where and how or else the Yunaverse is doomed.
    I'm a fan of fandom

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I dislike any snobbery with regard to music choice. It should never be about who is deemed 'worthy' or 'credible' to be associated, but looking at what the performer did and their unique take on them.
    I guess I should clarify my statement a bit. I think music like Gershwin and Les Mis were actually more challenging because they are harder to interpret with bodily movement, whereas it's very easy for women skaters to be sultry skating to a Spanish piece. Osmond, Adelina, and many others could perform to her LP music quite well.

On the Ice
    Does anyone think that if Yuna were to come across this and similar threads it would creep her out?
    Maybe, just because she seems like an introvert who likes her privacy. But... meh... I don't find this particular thread creepy at all. But maybe that's because this is really tame compared to some of the other stuff I've seen. I wonder if Yuna's been stalked by any Korean netizens yet...

I agree that she needs new costumes, I do like the yellow/olive green dress I just think she needs a darker color (blue lol) but I do think she needs new costumes on both the sp and lp. We all so used to being in love with Yuna's costumes and being wowed by them because they're always gorgeous and I wasn't satisfied with her choices but I didn't hate them either.I don't have a problem with OBTs I like them because they make your legs look good but they can make your boots look chunky. Nothing else needs to be change I love the music and her skating is solid.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Does it matter? As long as she lands her jumps? Has it ever mattered?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I guess I should clarify my statement a bit. I think music like Gershwin and Les Mis were actually more challenging because they are harder to interpret with bodily movement, whereas it's very easy for women skaters to be sultry skating to a Spanish piece. Osmond, Adelina, and many others could perform to her LP music quite well.
    I see what you mean but I am kind of reserving my judgement until the work matures.

I do think this particular music variation of Adios Noninos makes it intriguing and far from the familiar romantisized crowd pleasing orchestral version some might prefer. Bear in mind we already have Yuna's 16 years old El Tango De Roxanne that may have contributed to how people felt and interpreted Tangos since. It will be interesting to see how she can evolve from that to bookend her career with another Tango. I am hoping for something slightly different and not so formulaic, bit more intricate, sophisticated, mature, sensual, subtle and hopefully not so obvious reading of the spirit of Tango, and if possible, avoid too much 'Ole' types of cliches.

Katerina Witt's Carmen was a seminal program in this sport (regardless how anyone who might have felt about her skating.) It is now a sport full of Carmens, were there many Carmens too before her? If so, do we hear about it? If she is doing another Carmen today, would she still follow the same creative direction. Also consider what Virtue and Moir did with Carmen last year, and now it deserve its place as one of the all time great Carmen programs as well as one of the best free dance of all time.

Katrina finished her 17 years of skating career with Carmen at her 2nd Olympics. Yuna too will be finishing her 17th years of skating career at her 2nd Olympics with a genre that launched her into the figure skating world with a world record breaking SP (competed with injury). Poignancy of the occasion compare with her current condition and how she will mark the occasion with this program will add great shades of nostalgia for her fans and hopefully has its place in Olympic history.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I love her dynamic choreo last year. I love Lark, but this Les Mis was amazing LP. I wish she could have re-used it. Her SP grows on me-her look is flawless-no changes there.
    YuNa had to leave korea as we all know to train in peace. She has 1 million views on her new programs. I was told by someone saavy that that 80% are from korea. Also PSY holds the highest number of internet video views I read, like 1 billion-around the world, but all this uber fandom does scare her. She has to have a large security detail, no matter where she goes. While most fans likely want autograph, she has had people really scare her a lot from what I have read. I think her fans here range from respectful to in love with her, to obsessed. I have decided it isn't fair to be intimidated by a few, when most of her fans are good people.

A kind email made me realize you can't fight fire with fire, even if someone disrespectful attacks first. YuNa belongs to the skating world, and I am sad I will see her compete twice more. I am not an uber, and not Korean, so I can imagine how they must feel that she will not compete and win after Sochi. But I doubt she reads these boards. Undoubtedly her PR team would read legitimate press about her in Korea and around the world.

I think she will likely be happy to step back after retirement and decide what to do. She will leave a huge gap. I hope for her fan's sake, she will be able to nurture (pay for) training if she finds girls or boys with talent. Other than that, I wish for her to be more involved in her charity work. Like Jolie, she can use her beauty and fame and money to accomplish things far more important to many people than even 2 OGMs if she does win. I just hope those who are OTT will forgive her if she gets silver. I know she is concerned, and I recall her huge stress previous to Vancouver about her popularity at home without gold.

I think it is normal for the top seeded skater in the world to generate many threads on a skating board. I hope her fans become fans of others. YuNa and the Japanese are really keeping the sport going. I wonder how much Mao's retirement will affect Japanese fandom? I suspect not too much since they have had a few decades of awesome skaters in singles.

There is always a price to be paid if you are rich and famous, and she pays it too. That is what celebrity is all about. I really wish she had somehow managed to compete the GP series. Send in the clowns is a possible gem. It seems a shame to make a program, practice sevral hours a day and then not get to compete much.

I feel this about three great skaters who are injured as well, Korpi, Caro and Osmund. # of my other favorites.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    But still, I find the level of obsession rather disturbing and I'm not even the subject.
    I'm going to guess you don't follow too many sports. There are countless number of sports forums on the internet, forums for your favorite teams, etc. The same thing happens, people cheer for their team and favorite players, but they also discuss play calling and how terrible certain players are, how they should have done this, or that, etc. How on earth is that 'creepy'?

Now just switch out team for (insert figure skater's name). They are athletes in the public eye, it's perfectly normal to comment about their performance, program, or whatever else you think about them. After all, that's what a forum is for. If fans didn't watch or discuss or bother to give a second thought, nobody would be competing in the first place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3