What changes (if any) should Yuna make to her new programs? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What changes (if any) should Yuna make to her new programs?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
do you see any guys wearing white skates? :confused: OBTs for ladies are like black skates for guys - they go better with costumes and are sexier.

Super-random and off-topic comment :laugh::

Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell's character) wears white figure skates [ETA, correction: skates with white boot covers ;)] along with an all-white costume -- in the new Anchorman 2 movie.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
LP - very simple
go back to Les Miserables FS

her Adios Nino FS is underwhelming and not very Olympics worthy program

I was just going to say this but I might be biased since I'm a huge Les Mis addict. Remember the Battle of the Carmens? Well, we could have the "Battle of the Barricades" so to speak and I'd think I died and went to Heaven! LOL

Ven

Match Penalty
One other thing I notice could be adjusted would be the timing of the windmill she does with her arm after 2A+2T+2Lo. She turns and fires her arm into the air, and then she does a windmill with her arm when she turns around the final time and starts skating down to the other end of the ice. I think the arm windmill should be timed with the music, at Zagreb it seemed one second off. Makes me wonder if she was tired and forgot to do it, then did it late? Or if the choreography really was that way?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I agree. I try to look past that and I think the program is quite good, but given Yuna's ability to bring life to symphonic and broadway warhorse pieces I do think Adios Nonino is a bit beneath her.

But isn't that an worthy challenge? Anti elitism?

I dislike any snobbery with regard to music choice. It should never be about who is deemed 'worthy' or 'credible' to be associated, but looking at what the performer did and their unique take on them.

I actually love the gumption to choose a B Movie horror Kiss of the Vampire as her short last year. It is bold and risky and nice up yours to the 'establishment' against the 'worthy choices', she won regardless. It seems her team is so bored these days, they need to find something risky to handicap her just to see what happens, even with such understated costumes, almost opposite of last Olympics.

Ven

Match Penalty
I think those "warhorse" pieces you mention all have overt music and cues. When people say "this is not Olympic music", what they really mean (without realizing) is Adiós Nonino is more subtle, that it lacks obvious emotional cues to tell them how to feel.

For instance...

When people take in a performance, they expect some kind of emotional experience. A program is different than just watching someone skate. Any world class skater can go out and blow your mind away with their ability ... but can they deliver a performance that emotionally moves the audience? Well, in a lot of programs, the music does most of the work with powerful, overt cues -- it tells the audience how to feel.

In Adiós Nonino, on the other hand, this isn't the case, or at least not with the cut David has selected. People expect to be moved by "Olympic" music, but it's not so obvious and powerful here, like Les Miserables.

So what's the solution?

The audience still expects emotional cues, but the music itself isn't the only thing that can evoke emotion -- the audience can be moved by the interpretation too. We can still experience an emotional journey with light music and fewer cues, but that is up to Yuna. Can she do it? Can she give us the emotional cues we are seeking, just from her presentation? I really think she can, but I do feel like she needs to refine her interpretation of this music.

The Key Point

I keep coming back to the second half of her step sequence. At Zagreb performance, the music slows down, and she gives a smile, does a light turn with her hand on the ice, then emotes toward the audience, among other choreo. Her arms move freely about her. It feels like she's playing, doesn't it? This is one interpretation, but I don't think it's necessarily the best interpretation for this part of the song, because the next part, the music gets inspiring (there are SOME emotional cues in Adiós Nonino).

Imagine you are making an outline for a program. Which of these outlines do you think would provide the best experience for the audience?

Outline #1:
Some fiery tango. Then lighthearted playing. Then some inspiring music.

Outline #2:
Some fiery tango. But then sad, private thoughts of regret. But then all is overcome with uplifting feelings of triumph and success.

The music at Yuna's layback ina bauer is one of the rare spots in the music that gives an overt emotional cue. The music just FEELS like it should be an inspirational part of the performance. But if Yuna just plays around before this, how do you go from playing -- to inspirational -- and really feel the music? You can't, the inspirational music just seems to come out of nowhere... there isn't an emotional journey there. But if you go from sadness to uplifting -- THAT is an emotional journey the audience can subconsciously connect with.

Summary

I really think the audience needs to feel more of a sad moment at the last half of her step sequence, because that will accentuate the uplifting part of the program that follows.

Yuna surely has had private moments of doubt in her life and career...make us FEEL that. Arms close to her body for this part of the program, not so free. Give us a more introspective, sad moment. I think the turn she does with her hand on the ice can still work because of the music notes at that moment, but I really think the choreo and interpretation for the rest of this sad/slow part should be changed, as I mentioned.

Ven

Match Penalty
Damn, the exact emotion that is missing just occurred to me -- anxiety. Watching Yuna's LP, it feels like she needs to make us worry for her, sadness with a lingering anxiety, and then when the uplifting moment happens, all is well.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Damn, the exact emotion that is missing just occurred to me -- anxiety. Watching Yuna's LP, it feels like she needs to make us worry for her, sadness with a lingering anxiety, and then when the uplifting moment happens, all is well.

I get anxious enough right before jumps, thank you very much.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I think those "warhorse" pieces you mention all have overt music and cues. When people say "this is not Olympic music", what they really mean (without realizing) is Adiós Nonino is more subtle, that it lacks obvious emotional cues to tell them how to feel.

I'd argue it is precisely going against the grain can make her stand out even more. Deliver the unexpected, it shows a higher learning of performance art if the performer doesn't have the familiarity of the music to emote the audience but are to left to her own devises. Her Gershwin is hardly Olympic either in the quieter and almost silent moment and especially with that music cut. Now it is synonymous with an Olympic program by the impression Yuna has made, a sense of play and rift on jazz - little touches here and there, how she fill out the blank spaces with suspenseful movements. A little look, a little pause, a subtle twist of upper body movement, tilt of the head, glide of the blade to accentuate notes etc.

Ven

Match Penalty
I'd argue it is precisely going against the grain can make her stand out even more.

I agree os, I like this choice of program for her. It's definitely more challenging, and from an audience perspective, will leave a different impression. Loud thematic pieces are not the only satisfying concepts, I think A.N. can be a big success for her too.

Btw, I can't imagine a better Olympic performance than Gershwin. It's my favorite 1a or 1b, depending on the day.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
LP - very simple
go back to Les Miserables FS

her Adios Nino FS is underwhelming and not very Olympics worthy program

I love her dynamic choreo last year. I love Lark, but this Les Mis was amazing LP. I wish she could have re-used it. Her SP grows on me-her look is flawless-no changes there.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Does anyone think that if Yuna were to come across this and similar threads it would creep her out? I'm sure she would never be caught dead on these forums and being the superstar that she is, she has to deal with unwanted attention and obsessive fans. But still, I find the level of obsession rather disturbing and I'm not even the subject. I understand that the intention is good, but it's like every molecule of her being has to be doing this and that exactly when and where and how or else the Yunaverse is doomed.

bebevia

On the Ice
Does anyone think that if Yuna were to come across this and similar threads it would creep her out? I'm sure she would never be caught dead on these forums and being the superstar that she is, she has to deal with unwanted attention and obsessive fans. But still, I find the level of obsession rather disturbing and I'm not even the subject. I understand that the intention is good, but it's like every molecule of her being has to be doing this and that exactly when and where and how or else the Yunaverse is doomed.
I'm a fan of fandom

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I dislike any snobbery with regard to music choice. It should never be about who is deemed 'worthy' or 'credible' to be associated, but looking at what the performer did and their unique take on them.

I guess I should clarify my statement a bit. I think music like Gershwin and Les Mis were actually more challenging because they are harder to interpret with bodily movement, whereas it's very easy for women skaters to be sultry skating to a Spanish piece. Osmond, Adelina, and many others could perform to her LP music quite well.

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
Does anyone think that if Yuna were to come across this and similar threads it would creep her out?
Maybe, just because she seems like an introvert who likes her privacy. But... meh... I don't find this particular thread creepy at all. But maybe that's because this is really tame compared to some of the other stuff I've seen. I wonder if Yuna's been stalked by any Korean netizens yet...

Gigi13

On the Ice
I agree that she needs new costumes, I do like the yellow/olive green dress I just think she needs a darker color (blue lol) but I do think she needs new costumes on both the sp and lp. We all so used to being in love with Yuna's costumes and being wowed by them because they're always gorgeous and I wasn't satisfied with her choices but I didn't hate them either.I don't have a problem with OBTs I like them because they make your legs look good but they can make your boots look chunky. Nothing else needs to be change I love the music and her skating is solid.

shine

Record Breaker
Does it matter? As long as she lands her jumps? Has it ever mattered? :laugh:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I guess I should clarify my statement a bit. I think music like Gershwin and Les Mis were actually more challenging because they are harder to interpret with bodily movement, whereas it's very easy for women skaters to be sultry skating to a Spanish piece. Osmond, Adelina, and many others could perform to her LP music quite well.

I see what you mean but I am kind of reserving my judgement until the work matures.

I do think this particular music variation of Adios Noninos makes it intriguing and far from the familiar romantisized crowd pleasing orchestral version some might prefer. Bear in mind we already have Yuna's 16 years old El Tango De Roxanne that may have contributed to how people felt and interpreted Tangos since. It will be interesting to see how she can evolve from that to bookend her career with another Tango. I am hoping for something slightly different and not so formulaic, bit more intricate, sophisticated, mature, sensual, subtle and hopefully not so obvious reading of the spirit of Tango, and if possible, avoid too much 'Ole' types of cliches.

Katerina Witt's Carmen was a seminal program in this sport (regardless how anyone who might have felt about her skating.) It is now a sport full of Carmens, were there many Carmens too before her? If so, do we hear about it? If she is doing another Carmen today, would she still follow the same creative direction. Also consider what Virtue and Moir did with Carmen last year, and now it deserve its place as one of the all time great Carmen programs as well as one of the best free dance of all time.

Katrina finished her 17 years of skating career with Carmen at her 2nd Olympics. Yuna too will be finishing her 17th years of skating career at her 2nd Olympics with a genre that launched her into the figure skating world with a world record breaking SP (competed with injury). Poignancy of the occasion compare with her current condition and how she will mark the occasion with this program will add great shades of nostalgia for her fans and hopefully has its place in Olympic history.