Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hanyu sees Chan as inspiration and not a rival.

Tripping on the Podium
    https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/sta...44462701531136

this guy is a native English speaker and added the tag #fightinwords in response to Chan's tweet. I don't think finding it cocky has anything to do with understanding English.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    Wally I think there was an uproar when Patrick said he would let Hanyu have the GPF as he wanted the Olys.

It seems to me the opposition to his statement comes from people who perhaps dont understand the nuances of the English language. They take phrases like this literally as being meaningful and saying something significant. If that is not the case ie they do understand English then it could be that they refuse to acknowledge the nuances of the language.

That being said I was once told very proudly by a 20 year old American (on a cruise) that she was not Caucasian she was white!! So maybe they just dont get it!!!
    Truly, when I saw that clip on CBC I profoundly hoped they wouldn't air it on NBC, but I gather they did. Patrick said it with a grin- and really, it was pretty obvious what he meant, but I knew some folks would jump all over it anyway.
    He's clearly taken all the advice from his mentors on competitive attitude and the mental game, and its straight ahead and damn the torpedoes now. Good for Patrick. I wish him all the luck in the world.

Custom Title
    Wally I think there was an uproar when Patrick said he would let Hanyu have the GPF as he wanted the Olys.

It seems to me the opposition to his statement comes from people who perhaps dont understand the nuances of the English language. They take phrases like this literally as being meaningful and saying something significant. If that is not the case ie they do understand English then it could be that they refuse to acknowledge the nuances of the language.

That being said I was once told very proudly by a 20 year old American (on a cruise) that she was not Caucasian she was white!! So maybe they just dont get it!!!
    Gotta love those sound bites. As a rule of thumb, I take skaters' post-performance statements with a grain of salt, it doesn't matter whom. In most cases, they are nothing but canned scripts especially skaters from certain countries. Rarely do they ever go off the script. Some people, especially the predominantly female audience of figure skating like to hear sweet words - know that the world is not made of sugar and honey, not even close. When dreams awaken, the reality can be cruel.

Custom Title

I also don't think using the "F" word, knowing that live cameras are on you, was very wise.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriana View Post
    Truly, when I saw that clip on CBC I profoundly hoped they wouldn't air it on NBC, but I gather they did. Patrick said it with a grin- and really, it was pretty obvious what he meant, but I knew some folks would jump all over it anyway.
    He's clearly taken all the advice from his mentors on competitive attitude and the mental game, and its straight ahead and damn the torpedoes now. Good for Patrick. I wish him all the luck in the world.
    I haven't seen the clip yet but from what you describe, that sounds like something Patrick Chan would do. Not surprisingly, it was cut out of context by NBC to feed the image that many American media has been sour graping over him for some time. In truth, men's sport has always been very much a cut-throat business. A female Olympian who won medals in both Summer and Winter Games once remarked how women have it easy because the men's sport is just nuts in her opinion. Likewise, men are very competitive with each other and there is a genuine rivalry and mutual respect for each other. To me, it just seems improbable that any man would not perceive one of their close competitor in an Olympic sport as a rival. In a way, it could be viewed as an insult even though I don't think that was the intention.

This thread should be about Yuzuru Hanyu's comments regarding Patrick Chan as an inspiration to him (further proof that Yuzuru is classy and awesome). Perhaps those who want to discuss how Chan is misunderstood and his comments are forever taken out of context should start a new thread? I even have the perfect title: Chan's just a soul whose intentions are good... etc.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketry View Post

this guy is a native English speaker and added the tag #fightinwords in response to Chan's tweet. I don't think finding it cocky has anything to do with understanding English.
    Danger of twitting - losing the non-verbal aspect = losing 90% of the message in human communication.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

Yes, McCarvel is fluent in English.
    But IMHO: "Them's fightin' words" does not automatically mean cockiness. The expression often is used with good-natured humor to indicate friendly competition. (I am a native English speaker.)
    I would add that McCarvel went on to indicate his approval of Chan's spirit.

The entire Twitter conversation btwn @NickMcCarvel and his NBC colleague @nzaccardi:

‏@NickMcCarvel 8 Dec
    #Hanyu beats Chan in the free skate winning the #GPF13. "I'll let Yuzuru win this one and I'll win at the Olympics," Chan says #fightinwords

Nick Zaccardi ‏@nzaccardi 8 Dec
    @NickMcCarvel That's not all he said!

@NickMcCarvel
    @nzaccardi Say it on the ice, Patrick

@NickMcCarvel No way, say it to the media! Figure skating (all Olympic sports, really) need more candid stars!

‏@NickMcCarvel 8 Dec
    @nzaccardi Oh I see what you're saying. #AGREED

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Yes, McCarvel is fluent in English.
    But IMHO: "Them's fightin' words" does not automatically mean cockiness. The expression often is used with good-natured humor to indicate friendly competition. (I am a native English speaker.)
    I would add that McCarvel went on to indicate his approval of Chan's spirit.

The entire Twitter conversation btwn @NickMcCarvel and his NBC colleague @nzaccardi:

‏@NickMcCarvel 8 Dec
    #Hanyu beats Chan in the free skate winning the #GPF13. "I'll let Yuzuru win this one and I'll win at the Olympics," Chan says #fightinwords

@NickMcCarvel That's not all he said!

@NickMcCarvel
    @nzaccardi Say it on the ice, Patrick

@NickMcCarvel No way, say it to the media! Figure skating (all Olympic sports, really) need more candid stars!

‏@NickMcCarvel 8 Dec
    @nzaccardi Oh I see what you're saying. #AGREED
    Precisely, it was a friendly nudge akin to say I'll let you have this one hopefully luck will smile on me instead when it really counts. Anybody who seriously believed Chan was implying he lost GPF on purpose is just, well...don't know what to say as it's not very polite.

You'd think NBC would be more careful about this knowing what happened to Jimmy Kimmel and ABC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    This thread should be about Yuzuru Hanyu's comments regarding Patrick Chan as an inspiration to him (further proof that Yuzuru is classy and awesome). Perhaps those who want to discuss how Chan is misunderstood and his comments are forever taken out of context should start a new thread? I even have the perfect title: Chan's just a soul whose intentions are good... etc.
    When someone started to drag Chan into this thread and talked about Chan should learn Hanyu's poise, I don't see why you have to restrict the other side to explain regarding to this topic?

Abbott once tried to adopt Chan's attitude as a way to build up his competitive image and help his own confidence. I thought many people understood his strategy and effort, and even encouraged him to do that. It didn't work for him though. What I want to say is that it might be a way for some skaters to maintain focus and chase away their negative thoughts at the time. Alexei Yagidin did that. Evgeni Plushenko did that. Brian Boitano did that. Evan Lysacek did that. Johnny weir did that. Even Brian Joubert did that. Many other top skaters did that.

Is Hanyu's way a nice way? Yes. Does every skater have to learn to talk like Hanyu and all Japanese skaters? Absolutely no.

Custom Title
    Gee, I'd think most English speakers know this kind of jokes made all the time, sometimes between rivals and sometimes between friends without real rivalry. It's friendly one upmanship.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm a native English speaker too, and I'm not particular bothered by the quote or cockiness but I found it demeaning that people were implying that their interpretation of Patrick's direct quote came from not understanding English.

Some people prefer for skaters to let their performance do the talking and express only their admiration for others. It's certainly something to admire about Hanyu.

Custom Title
    This is what was aired on CBC (Patrick's interview is from 3:00 onwards). Perhaps those who saw NBC's broadcast might tell us if Patrick's comments were cut or if both channels aired the same content.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    This is what was aired on CBC (Patrick's interview is from 3:00 onwards). Perhaps those who saw NBC's broadcast might tell us if Patrick's comments were cut or if both channels aired the same content.
    From my memory of seeing once on NBC, I think they are the same as NBC's broadcast. I don't see a thing wrong here. He did not talk about Hanyu. He was talking about himself. The only nitpicking anyone could do, I think, is he said he LET Yuzuru win this and he'll win the Olympics.

Custom Title
    I'm a native English speaker too, and I'm not particular bothered by the quote or cockiness but I found it demeaning that people were implying that their interpretation of Patrick's direct quote came from not understanding English.

Some people prefer for skaters to let their performance do the talking and express only their admiration for others. It's certainly something to admire about Hanyu.
    so agree.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast