Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hanyu sees Chan as inspiration and not a rival.

Cultural norms. The "Heroic Boast" in western literature goes back to Beowulf, Homer, and Gilgamesh. Courteous speech is more valued in Japan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    From my memory of seeing once on NBC, I think they are the same as NBC's broadcast. I don't see a thing wrong here. He did not talk about Hanyu. He was talking about himself. The only nitpicking anyone could do, I think, is he said he LET Yuzuru win this and he'll win the Olympics.
    That is indeed nitpicking. I don't think any skater actually "lets" other skaters defeat them, particularly someone as competitive as Chan. I agree he's said foul stuff in the past, but some people are truly mincing his words to vilify him which is pretty unreasonable.

As Yuzu has demonstrated, culturally Japan is more polite and reverent. I mean, he bows after every skate, regardless of how good or bad he does. And his comments are certainly full of class and humility.

Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek finished in an exact numerical tie (244.77) at 2007 U.S. Nationals, and Lysacek won on the tie-breaker. IIRC Weir's comment was, "Well, I have three (U.S. titles), so I'll let him have two."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek finished in an exact numerical tie (244.77) at 2007 U.S. Nationals, and Lysacek won on the tie-breaker. IIRC Weir's comment was, "Well, I have three (U.S. titles), so I'll let him have two."
    Hah, that's probably a little worse than Patrick saying I'll let Hanyu have the GPF as long as I get the OGM (it's not like Chan said "I already have 2 GPF titles. So I'll let Hanyu have 1"). But, hey, it's Johnny.

Custom Title
    Waiting for the same people who denounced Patrick Chan re: his GPF interview to denounce Johnny Weir as well, one can dream I know.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Waiting for the same people who denounced Patrick Chan re: his GPF interview to denounce Johnny Weir as well, one can dream I know.
    I don't have a problem with Chan's statement. I think its kind of fun. I enjoy ribbing. Now I have issue when he states he deserves huge scores for falling three times and those of us who disagree don't understand skating!

But I'm going to win the Olympics, okay live or die by your own words.

The thing is those kind of statements can either turn out really well "The Olympic Games is my destiny" Yagudin. Or they can turn out really poorly. "Yu na is invincible" The one thing I will say is that after losing the free skate to someone who fell-and you didn't well.. I don't know if its a smart attitude to have.

But I applaud him for going out there and stating it.

It should fire up his competitors.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I don't have a problem with Chan's statement. I think its kind of fun. I enjoy ribbing. Now I have issue when he states he deserves huge scores for falling three times and those of us who disagree don't understand skating!

But I'm going to win the Olympics, okay live or die by your own words.

The thing is those kind of statements can either turn out really well "The Olympic Games is my destiny" Yagudin. Or they can turn out really poorly. "Yu na is invincible" The one thing I will say is that after losing the free skate to someone who fell-and you didn't well.. I don't know if its a smart attitude to have.

But I applaud him for going out there and stating it.

It should fire up his competitors.
    Correct me, when did Chan fall 3 times at the GPF? If not, why do you keep beating a dead horse?

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Correct me, when did Chan fall 3 times at the GPF? If not, why do you keep beating a dead horse?
    I dont think chan fell- he did stumble but no fall. He didnt fall in the free program. He stumbled on the triple axel a ddoulbed the lutz.

Custom Title
    Cultural norms. The "Heroic Boast" in western literature goes back to Beowulf, Homer, and Gilgamesh. Courteous speech is more valued in Japan.
    It would be nicer if it was valued more greatly in more places than just Japan. And perhaps the fact that Hanyu's popularity is soaring, not just for his skating but for his off-ice personality, is an indication that at least some other people value it as well. He has courteousness in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    It would be nicer if it was valued more greatly in more places than just Japan. And perhaps the fact that Hanyu's popularity is soaring, not just for his skating but for his off-ice personality, is an indication that at least some other people value it as well. He has courteousness in spades.
    Life will be pretty boring if we eat the same food everyday. Imagine a world where everyone think and talk alike. Sometimes what we see may not be what we get.

Custom Title
    Not every culture or every person loves the style of bowing so often, you know.

Custom Title
    ...I've personally never been offended by or felt Patrick offensive; that's how average North American guys express determination and competitive spirit. I mean, if you were, I guess you might be shocked by hiphop artists' genuinely friendly demeanour. It's not balletic enough, perhaps? Where is young boiling blood, everyone!

Sweet Hanyu and dude Patrick are just boys being different.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Life will be pretty boring if we eat the same food everyday. Imagine a world where everyone think and talk alike. Sometimes what we see may not be what we get.
    You get these three sentences off of three fortune cookies?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Not every culture or every person loves the style of bowing so often, you know.
    obviously.

didn't say anything about bowing. sheesh, this is a tough house tonight.

Custom Title
    obviously.

didn't say anything about bowing. sheesh, this is a tough house tonight.
    It IS tough when a skater couldn't even say let someone win without being picked on. It is a way to speak, like to say, "I'll let you have it. I'll have that."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast