Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hanyu sees Chan as inspiration and not a rival.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    The only male skaters I can think of who mouth off like this are Chan, Moir, Plushenko, Majorov and Shabalin (who thought D/S should have won at least silver in Vancouver). Only two of these are North American.
    You forgot the famous/infamous Johnny Weir.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I just wish Mr. Chan would learn to think before he speaks. But I've been saying that for many years now, so I guess it's a case where he just doesn't care if he comes off sounding like a mean-spirited jerk.

The only male skaters I can think of who mouth off like this are Chan, Moir, Plushenko, Majorov and Shabalin (who thought D/S should have won at least silver in Vancouver). Only two of these are North American.
    Not sure why you exclude women from your examples since "bad mouthing" isn't unique to men. Let's see, what about Oksana...uh, I mean "Pasha" Grishuck: "Don't call me Oksana, she is a criminal!" Better still, the most famous example in the modern era that is Made in USA - Tonya Harding. Instead of bad mouthing a competitor, she just tried to eliminate her for good. Only in America we can expect to see this kind of soap opera.

Custom Title
    How about Surya Bonaly? She was so mad about losing Worlds to Yuka Sato that she took off her silver medal right there on the podium.

Custom Title
    Patrick frustrates me. I wish he'd make it easier for people to root for him during the Olympic season. He's an amazing skater, but arrogance isn't likeable, even if the arrogance is deserved. I want him to win the OGM but I can definitely understand why people would prefer Hanyu.

Did Alexei Yagudin ever mouth off about Plushenko during their great rivalry? Since it's based on a personal conflict too, I guess it would be more understandable but still. I love Yagudin but he was pretty confident in his abilities, iirc. (Perhaps Patrick can take lessons from Yagudin on the perfect balance between confidence and likeability?)

Rinkside
    Hello - am a new poster so be kind. I do recall something way back in the day where Yagudin was caught backstage on camera giving a bit of a cheer when Plushenko fell, can't recall if it was a Grand Prix / World's etc. but it was earlier in their rivalry. Perhaps someone with a better memory then I can provide more details.

On the Ice
    I think that was Worlds 2002 in Washington, maybe...

Michelle Kwan once said that she never watched the other girls' performances on the backstage monitors because she didn't want the TV cameras to catch her going, "Fall! Fall!"

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonmil View Post
    I think that was Worlds 2002 in Washington, maybe...
    Plushenko was too scared to attend 2002 Worlds, so it wasn't that one.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Michelle Kwan once said that she never watched the other girls' performances on the backstage monitors because she didn't want the TV cameras to catch her going, "Fall! Fall!"
    Lol is this true? Didn't seem like something Michelle would do and admit to the press.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Lol is this true? Didn't seem like something Michelle would do and admit to the press.
    You know, I have told that story so many times that now I don't remember if it is really true or if I made it up. I think it's true, though.

Custom Title
    Well, it doesn't really seem like Kwan to say that, but at 2003 worlds, Kwan was sort of celebrating after watching Cohen's flawed program backstage. http://youtu.be/BvTD9KZP8-c

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2 View Post
    Well, it doesn't really seem like Kwan to say that, but at 2003 worlds, Kwan was sort of celebrating after watching Cohen's flawed program backstage. http://youtu.be/BvTD9KZP8-c
    Wow. That's a heckuva fanwar going on in the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by lttravel92 View Post
    Hello - am a new poster so be kind. I do recall something way back in the day where Yagudin was caught backstage on camera giving a bit of a cheer when Plushenko fell, can't recall if it was a Grand Prix / World's etc. but it was earlier in their rivalry. Perhaps someone with a better memory then I can provide more details.
    I remember watching this vid where Buttle first snatched his Nationals from Sandhu. The camera focussed on him when Sandhu fell. OMG.... it must be hell trying to keep a 'straight face' and controlling the urge to jump or clap. But he threw his head backwards and probably mouthed 'oh' but kept his butt on his chair with a straight face.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Wow. That's a heckuva fanwar going on in the comments.
    ROFL. But where are the Elena Sokolova fans? Sokolova skated the performance of her life, with a squeaky-clean 7 triple program including a triple Lutz - triple toe, but only got 1 first place ordinal (from the Russian judge).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Panini View Post
    Did Alexei Yagudin ever mouth off about Plushenko during their great rivalry?
    ...Not really a good example He and colleagues back in Mishin days bullied little Plush off-air, according to Plush.

Good news is that they became close enough to get drunk together and sleep on hall floors after that great escape from fire :D

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast