Hanyu sees Chan as inspiration and not a rival. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Hanyu sees Chan as inspiration and not a rival.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
The only male skaters I can think of who mouth off like this are Chan, Moir, Plushenko, Majorov and Shabalin (who thought D/S should have won at least silver in Vancouver). Only two of these are North American.

You forgot the famous/infamous Johnny Weir.;)

wallylutz

Medalist
I just wish Mr. Chan would learn to think before he speaks. But I've been saying that for many years now, so I guess it's a case where he just doesn't care if he comes off sounding like a mean-spirited jerk.

The only male skaters I can think of who mouth off like this are Chan, Moir, Plushenko, Majorov and Shabalin (who thought D/S should have won at least silver in Vancouver). Only two of these are North American.

Not sure why you exclude women from your examples since "bad mouthing" isn't unique to men. Let's see, what about Oksana...uh, I mean "Pasha" Grishuck: "Don't call me Oksana, she is a criminal!" Better still, the most famous example in the modern era that is Made in USA - Tonya Harding. Instead of bad mouthing a competitor, she just tried to eliminate her for good. Only in America we can expect to see this kind of soap opera. :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about Surya Bonaly? She was so mad about losing Worlds to Yuka Sato that she took off her silver medal right there on the podium.

Panini

On the Ice
Patrick frustrates me. I wish he'd make it easier for people to root for him during the Olympic season. He's an amazing skater, but arrogance isn't likeable, even if the arrogance is deserved. I want him to win the OGM but I can definitely understand why people would prefer Hanyu.

Did Alexei Yagudin ever mouth off about Plushenko during their great rivalry? Since it's based on a personal conflict too, I guess it would be more understandable but still. I love Yagudin but he was pretty confident in his abilities, iirc. (Perhaps Patrick can take lessons from Yagudin on the perfect balance between confidence and likeability?)

lttravel92

Spectator
Hello - am a new poster so be kind. I do recall something way back in the day where Yagudin was caught backstage on camera giving a bit of a cheer when Plushenko fell, can't recall if it was a Grand Prix / World's etc. but it was earlier in their rivalry. Perhaps someone with a better memory then I can provide more details.

Michelle Kwan :love: once said that she never watched the other girls' performances on the backstage monitors because she didn't want the TV cameras to catch her going, "Fall! Fall!" :)

miki88

Medalist
Michelle Kwan :love: once said that she never watched the other girls' performances on the backstage monitors because she didn't want the TV cameras to catch her going, "Fall! Fall!" :)

Lol is this true? Didn't seem like something Michelle would do and admit to the press.

Lol is this true? Didn't seem like something Michelle would do and admit to the press.

You know, I have told that story so many times that now I don't remember if it is really true or if I made it up. ;) I think it's true, though. :)

spikydurian

Medalist
Hello - am a new poster so be kind. I do recall something way back in the day where Yagudin was caught backstage on camera giving a bit of a cheer when Plushenko fell, can't recall if it was a Grand Prix / World's etc. but it was earlier in their rivalry. Perhaps someone with a better memory then I can provide more details.
I remember watching this vid where Buttle first snatched his Nationals from Sandhu. The camera focussed on him when Sandhu fell. OMG.... it must be hell trying to keep a 'straight face' and controlling the urge to jump or clap. But he threw his head backwards and probably mouthed 'oh' but kept his butt on his chair with a straight face.:laugh:

Wow. That's a heckuva fanwar going on in the comments. :slink:

ROFL. But where are the Elena Sokolova fans? Sokolova skated the performance of her life, with a squeaky-clean 7 triple program including a triple Lutz - triple toe, but only got 1 first place ordinal (from the Russian judge). :)

bebevia

On the Ice
Did Alexei Yagudin ever mouth off about Plushenko during their great rivalry?
...Not really a good example:slink: He and colleagues back in Mishin days bullied little Plush off-air, according to Plush.

Good news is that they became close enough to get drunk together and sleep on hall floors after that great escape from fire :D

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think that was Worlds 2002 in Washington, maybe...

2002 Worlds was in Japan after 2002 Olympics where Yagudin won his 4th World title. Plushenko did not go. The incident you were talking about was in Vancouver 2001 Worlds if I remembered correctly.

In Yagudin vs. Plushenko era, Yagudin was notably politically incorrect image. The only thing I could recall about Plushenko during that era was when a journalist asked young Plushenko what he has learned from Yagudin, Plushenko said, "Nothing!":biggrin:

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Johnny Weir infamous?

You forgot the famous/infamous Johnny Weir.;)

I'll just put this here:

in·fa·mous adjective \ˈin-fə-məs\ : well-known for being bad : known for evil acts or crimes

: causing people to think you are bad or evil

Full Definition of INFAMOUS
1: having a reputation of the worst kind : notoriously evil <an infamous traitor>
2: causing or bringing infamy : disgraceful <an infamous crime>
3: convicted of an offense bringing infamy

from Merriam Webster

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'll just put this here:

in·fa·mous adjective \ˈin-fə-məs\ : well-known for being bad : known for evil acts or crimes

: causing people to think you are bad or evil

Full Definition of INFAMOUS
1: having a reputation of the worst kind : notoriously evil <an infamous traitor>
2: causing or bringing infamy : disgraceful <an infamous crime>
3: convicted of an offense bringing infamy

from Merriam Webster

I only meant to say big mouth and bad boy images.

As of what Michelle Kwan has said, I believe not many top skaters could pass this kind of screening.:)