Mid season report card | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mid season report card

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Won't anyone stick up for Denney and Coughlin? :)

They are super consistent and appear to be determined people. I do think people are hard on them due to the circumstances of the pairing, however there's no doubt they are doing their best to hold their end of the bargain.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I do take exception with Gracie. To me, she is still in it for bronze and no matter what happened this season that would have been her best outcome seeing how Mao has gotten her act together. Gracie can get a ton of +GOE on the jumps and at least as good PCS as Julia. Like all the other top contenders for bronze, she can score in the high 60s in the SP and the low 130s for the long if she perfect. She just has to regain her form.

I don't think at this point Gold has hardly any shot at a medal at the Games. People like Sotnikova, Wagner, Lipnistaia are making big progress, especialy with their consistency. Kostner is obviously still a threat for a medal, despite her inconsistency. Gold has made no progress in her consistency or presentation this season. I don't even care about the if she skates cleanly thing since we know even if she has a good competition there is no way she will skate cleanly, while those others (the first 3) atleast might.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I definitely don't agree they have continued at the same level. They have definitely made clear improvements to both programs over the season. They are just not as obvious because they started out pretty good early on. I'd agree with golden that V&M weren't terrible just a bit rough round the edges. But as WeakAnkles pointed out elsewhere, this seems to be the norm in the last few years. They also still have a lot of points on the table, namely getting all level 4s and maxing up the +GOEs. A perfect score is 119+ D&W got 113+ There's six points up for grabs!

Yup, I did. This happens every season for the last FIVE YEARS: Marlie roars out to an early lead, everyone starts writing Voir off, Voir slowly improves in what appears to be a more dramatic fashion than Marlie because of their slow start, then the second half of the season we have photo finishes AT EVERY MAJOR EVENT, where it always comes down to who best hits their levels and makes the fewer mistakes. And gee! What happens this season? Lather, rinse, repeat. LOL! That's why you never heard me say, Oh it's done deal It's never a done deal with these two teams until the chorus sings their national anthem.

Which is why I love them both. Though I'm not sure my fingernails always do...
:)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do take exception with Gracie. To me, she is still in it for bronze and no matter what happened this season that would have been her best outcome seeing how Mao has gotten her act together. Gracie can get a ton of +GOE on the jumps and at least as good PCS as Julia. Like all the other top contenders for bronze, she can score in the high 60s in the SP and the low 130s for the long if she perfect. She just has to regain her form.

Gracie is still in for bronze for sure I think maybe even silver =- assuming we are talking US Nationals. She could even win bronze at the olympics but her case isn't as strong right now. Her programs both seem to be a bit "not really Gold" and the short programin particular is a bit grating. She ahsn't skated with the command and consistency one wold expect from a medallist but she could fluke out. Equally she could fluk eout and not even make it to Sochi. she could wind up sitting ont he coch in front of the big screen watching WAgner and two other american ladies skating for oly glory. Gracie though has so much going for her - beautiful, great jumps when on and a fair amount of American princessy skating skills :) Don't count her out; but don't bet on her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I definitely don't agree they have continued at the same level. They have definitely made clear improvements to both programs over the season. They are just not as obvious because they started out pretty good early on. I'd agree with golden that V&M weren't terrible just a bit rough round the edges. But as WeakAnkles pointed out elsewhere, this seems to be the norm in the last few years. They also still have a lot of points on the table, namely getting all level 4s and maxing up the +GOEs. A perfect score is 119+ D&W got 113+ There's six points up for grabs!

I think V and M have really struggled for them but not horrible. I would like to see them pour out the magic in their long and hit all their levels. The lifts will be an issue but as long as they get hte levels and they are well done it shouldnt' matter. We see many lifts in pairs which don't look pretty or difficult but they are well done and executed and can score big still. I am not convinced D and W freeskate is right for them. They are excellent but I don't find they have quite the intensity I would expect from this piece. Really I am disappointed in their fs. I still think they will win gold unless V and M can find the magic. I still find V and M better in the sd right now but thejudges seem to like d and w pc wise and techinecally D and W are stronger a bit usually; I would pc wise give V and m the edge but tes wise give it to D and W. In some way I want D and W to win gold so they have one but life isn't fair - look at poor Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, Elvis stoijko, Timothy Goebel et al - so close but no golden ring.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yup, I did. This happens every season for the last FIVE YEARS: Marlie roars out to an early lead, everyone starts writing Voir off, Voir slowly improves in what appears to be a more dramatic fashion than Marlie because of their slow start, then the second half of the season we have photo finishes AT EVERY MAJOR EVENT, where it always comes down to who best hits their levels and makes the fewer mistakes. And gee! What happens this season? Lather, rinse, repeat. LOL! That's why you never heard me say, Oh it's done deal It's never a done deal with these two teams until the chorus sings their national anthem.

Which is why I love them both. Though I'm not sure my fingernails always do...
:)

Or muzak player or rock cover band? HAHA.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think V and M have really struggled for them but not horrible. I would like to see them pour out the magic in their long and hit all their levels. The lifts will be an issue but as long as they get hte levels and they are well done it shouldnt' matter. We see many lifts in pairs which don't look pretty or difficult but they are well done and executed and can score big still. I am not convinced D and W freeskate is right for them. They are excellent but I don't find they have quite the intensity I would expect from this piece. Really I am disappointed in their fs. I still think they will win gold unless V and M can find the magic. I still find V and M better in the sd right now but thejudges seem to like d and w pc wise and techinecally D and W are stronger a bit usually; I would pc wise give V and m the edge but tes wise give it to D and W. In some way I want D and W to win gold so they have one but life isn't fair - look at poor Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, Elvis stoijko, Timothy Goebel et al - so close but no golden ring.

I would like to see Marlie win the gold so they and Voir could both end up with 1 Gold, 1 Silver Olympic medals, and 2 Gold, 2 Silver World medals for this quad cycle, but then I'm a Libra and we have Issues with symmetry...

coppertop1

On the Ice
They are super consistent and appear to be determined people. I do think people are hard on them due to the circumstances of the pairing, however there's no doubt they are doing their best to hold their end of the bargain.

What is the circumstances of their pairing that people are hard on them for?

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
What is the circumstances of their pairing that people are hard on them for?

Probably the fact that following Coughlin's and his former partner's National win in 2011 and a high sixth place finish at 2011 Worlds (high for a U.S. pair of this era, that is) there soon followed an announcement of their split. Following quickly on the heels of that announcement, his pairing with Denney was announced, causing quite a stir in some quarters.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think at this point Gold has hardly any shot at a medal at the Games. People like Sotnikova, Wagner, Lipnistaia are making big progress, especialy with their consistency. Kostner is obviously still a threat for a medal, despite her inconsistency. Gold has made no progress in her consistency or presentation this season. I don't even care about the if she skates cleanly thing since we know even if she has a good competition there is no way she will skate cleanly, while those others (the first 3) atleast might.

Sotnikova made the GPF partly because she was in two weak GP events and still wasn't dazzling. She showed at the GPF that she still can meltdown and hasn't shown me that much either. Gold has shown she can beat Adelina in the past since it's 4-1 in favor of Gracie in head to head meetings.

RABID

Final Flight
I would like to see Marlie win the gold so they and Voir could both end up with 1 Gold, 1 Silver Olympic medals, and 2 Gold, 2 Silver World medals for this quad cycle, but then I'm a Libra and we have Issues with symmetry...
:laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am kind of hoping V and M win just for justice for all those years Canada ended up with the short end of the stick ie Dubreil and Lauzon imho should have at least a world title and tand an Oly medal and then in the men I am not sure how or why Canada was really unlucky.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am kind of hoping V and M win just for justice for all those years Canada ended up with the short end of the stick ie Dubreil and Lauzon imho should have at least a world title and tand an Oly medal and then in the men I am not sure how or why Canada was really unlucky.

such a shallow reason
then every other skater as much deserve a gold medal than V/M
deprived of a chance to medal and podium in worlds at their peak careers

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So then the gold should go to Tobias & Stagniunas of Lithuania because Drobiazko & Vanagas were even more at the wrong end of the judging stick than ever Dubrueil & Lauzon were. D&L were unable to skate the FD at the 2006 Olympics because of injury, not because of judging. At the 2002 Olympics, they would, of course, be behind Bourne & Kraatz, so bad placing had nothing to do with them not getting a gold medal there. And B&K didn't medal.

As a wish, that's fine-one can wish anything, but as a rationale (and Skater Boy, you stated that as a fact), that's some rather specious reasoning.