Olympic team skating: the 10 countries that have qualified | Golden Skate

Olympic team skating: the 10 countries that have qualified

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Olympic team skating: the 10 countries that have qualified

Per the ISU (Dec 9):

Following the ISU Grand Prix and Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final the 10 Teams qualified for the Figure Skating Team Event have been announced as follows:
  1. Canada (6053 points)
  2. Russia (5459 points)
  3. USA (5274 points)
  4. Japan (4062 points)
  5. Italy (3707 points)
  6. France (3626 points)
  7. China (3609 points)
  8. Germany (3596 points)
  9. Ukraine (1528 points)
  10. Great Britain (1261 points)

Two Teams are on standby, namely Australia and Estonia.

The five top Teams after the Short Programs/Short Dance will proceed to the Free Skating/Free Dance. Teams may switch up to two members between Short Program/Short Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance. In general only skaters/couples already qualified for the individual events at the Olympic Winter Games will compete. However, in order to complete a team the NOCs, if necessary and applicable, can make one entry (for one discipline) according to the “Additional Athletes Quota”. Each team must participate in at least three disciplines.

http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/...3,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=1493

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks golden! What is this on standby status...

The countries have the option of choosing not to compete in the Olympic team event, even if they have qualified.

I suppose if a federation is super-obsessed with nabbing medals in the individual disciplines, perhaps it would consider skipping the team event (to eliminate any risk of overtaxing its skaters).

So the possibility cannot be ruled out that the standby teams will be able to compete.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Any idea who might compete for the different countries?

Here are my guesses of viable candidates for optimal teams. I added or left out, if said skater already annonced they'd skip or do both parts.

1. Canada (Chan, Osmond, Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Virtue/Moir)
2. Russia (1st man, Julia Lipnitskaia, Volosozhar/Trankov, 2nd pair, Bobrova/Soloviev)
3. USA (1st/2nd man, Gold, Wagner, Denney/Couglin, Davis/White)
4. Japan (Takahashi, Hanyu, Asada, 2nd lady, Takahashi/Kihara, Reed/Reed)
5. Italy (Bacchini, Kostner, Marchei, Berton/Hotarek, Cappellini/Lanotte)
6. France (Joubert, Amodio, Meite, James/Cipres, Pechalat/Bourzat)
7. China (Han, Li, Pang/Tong, 2nd pair, Huang/Zheng)
8. Germany (Liebers, Weinzierl, Wende/Wende, Zhiganshina/Gazsi)
9. Ukraine (Godorozha, Popova, Usmantseva/Talan, Heekin-Candy/Dun)
10. Great Britain (Parr, McCorkell, Kemp/King, Coomes/Buckland)

When do you announce whether you like to substitute for the free skates? After the SP or does it have to be before?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
When do you announce whether you like to substitute for the free skates? After the SP or does it have to be before?

The teams are not required to announce their competitors for the FS/FD until after the SP/SD.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Will this be televised too ?

Wouldn't the answer depend on where (meaning in which country) you live? Doesn't the network that has purchased broadcast rights to the Games for each country have the discretion to pick and choose among the many Olympic events to program the assortment that it airs?

One wrinkle is that the team men's SP and team pairs SP will take place on Thursday, the day before the Opening Ceremony on Friday.
In the U.S., NBC has committed to airing Thursday's competitions, which are team skating + IIRC, freestyle moguls (women's) and slopestyle snowboarding (I forget whether men's, women's or both). Do most or all broadcasters in other countries plan to do the same? (I don't know either way.)

But even on the Saturday and Sunday after the Opening Ceremony, it would make sense to me if relatively little (or none?) of the second and third days of team skating are televised in some countries that did not qualify for the team event -- such as Spain, as a random example. I'm only speculating; I have no idea what the Spanish broadcaster's intentions actually are.
But in contrast, I would expect the Spanish network to make a point of airing a lot of the individual men's SP and FS so that its audience can have the excitement of seeing how their native son Fernandez fares.

Wouldn't the answer depend on where (meaning in which country) you live? Doesn't the network that has purchased broadcast rights to the Games for each country have the discretion to pick and choose among the many Olympic events to program the assortment that it airs?

Thanks to the power of the internet, it doesn't matter where you live any more. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Will this be televised too ?

Thanks to the power of the internet, it doesn't matter where you live any more. ;)

I was answering the original question :yes:, which was whether team skating would be televised. The original question was not about Internet streaming (no matter what the source of the content).

I realize that some -- but not all -- people have the capability of displaying Internet streaming on a TV monitor. I would not describe the result as "televised." :no: YMMV.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I understand this is considered a trial team sport so may or may not get much coverage. I think it will depend on your country's television coverage, I know the CBC does a great job of covering all Olympic and World Cup events, so probably will be televised by the CBC.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I understand this is considered a trial team sport so may or may not get much coverage. I think it will depend on your country's television coverage, I know the CBC does a great job of covering all Olympic and World Cup events, so probably will be televised by the CBC.

This event was designed to be a "TV" event. I would be shocked if it wasn't widely televised, especially in Russia, Canada and the US (the three countries most likely to medal).

Scout

Final Flight
Any idea who might compete for the different countries?

I wonder if some of the teams that are virtually guaranteed to make the team final send their second ranked athlete(s) to skate the short? Like letting Weaver/Poje do the short dance for Canada, then Tessa and Scott the free dance?

When do countries have to provide entries for the team event (short program/dance) by?

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I wonder if some of the teams that are virtually guaranteed to make the team final send their second ranked athlete(s) to skate the short? Like letting Weaver/Poje do the short dance for Canada, then Tessa and Scott the free dance?

When do countries have to provide entries for the team event (short program/dance) by?

The placement points of the short are weighted equally with the placement points of the long. Since in the short you can get between 1 and 10 points while in the long you can only get between 6 and 10 points it actually makes sense to send your best athletes in the short rather than the long.

IIRC you need to state which athletes will skate the short the Wednsday before opening ceremony (so the day before the team even starts) and you need to state the athletes that will skate the long a few minutes after the conclusion of the short portion of the team event.