Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Evan Lysacek will not compete this season

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Looking very sad, Lysacek is at the Today show studio for a live interview to make a "big announcement" (so far the anchors have only teased the announcement without saying outright what it will be).

NBC has aired a couple of live shots of Lysacek waiting in the green room. His face reflects very clearly how upset he is. Anyone with a heart would feel bad for him. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think this news merits its own thread.
    Thanks for starting the thread, Mrs. P.

I wish there would be a video of it online, but I'm going to assume it will be geoblocked as usual. I hate to impose, but if someone could perhaps "report" on what was said for those of us unable to watch it... ? I for one would be very grateful.

I'm sad for his sake - but not surprised. With the reports of his injuries, it sounded as if he was running out of time. Well, I wish him the best in the future.

News

Lysacek did NOT say that he is retiring from the sport entirely -- and he was asked point blank on the Today show.

He was on the verge of tears during the interview. "My road to Sochi ends here."

(Lysacek was understandably emotional, although Matt Lauer's tone was very gentle.)

ETA:

Nota bene: I'm mostly just paraphrasing.

Lysacek also said that the pain from his labral injury had become "unmanageable," and that doctors told him that training without full healing would put him at risk of permanent damage.

Regarding the question of retirement, Lysacek's answer was along the lines that he didn't want to end his career with his recent very painful weeks on the ice -- and that he wanted to be in control of his decision when to to leave the ice (the implication being that he didn't want injury to force him to make that decision).

News

Excerpt from US Figure Skating's official announcement (emphasis added):

INJURY ENDS LYSACEK'S GOAL OF DEFENDING OLYMPIC TITLE IN SOCHI

(12/10/13) - Evan Lysacek, the reigning Olympic champion, announced today that a hip injury will prevent him from defending his title at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Lysacek, 28, tore the labrum in his left hip in August. Despite aggressive treatment and physical therapy, the injury became more painful in the past month. Heeding his physician's advice that he is at risk of permanent damage, Lysacek will refrain from skating until the injury is completely healed, which could be several months.

"Words cannot describe how disappointed I am to not be able to compete in Sochi," Lysacek said. "The proudest moments of my life have been representing the United States in the last two Winter Olympics. I have suffered numerous injuries over the course of my skating career and they are some of the hardest things an athlete has to overcome. While none of my past injuries have sidelined me quite like this one, I remain determined to regain my health and skate again
    ."

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49799&type=media

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA:

@JohnnyGWeir
    Very proud of a great champion, @EvanLysacek and his graceful bow-out of the Sochi Olympics this morning on @TODAYshow.
    5:39 AM - 10 Dec 13
    https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/stat...03395204571136

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I wish there would be a video of it online, but I'm going to assume it will be geoblocked as usual. I hate to impose, but if someone could perhaps "report" on what was said for those of us unable to watch it... ? I for one would be very grateful. ...
    Many Lysacek quotes from the Today show interview this morning are in this text story:

ETA, video of the Lysacek on the Today show + a different text story:

Custom Title
    I do feel sorry for Evan but in some ways I hope it is a relief knowing one way or another and now he can move on- he has so many awesome opportunities with an OGM.

Custom Title
    I think he gave it 120 but his body wasn't having it. I'm not even a fan but I know he tried his best but I'm glad he listened to his body. His body hasn't been responding for some time now.

Custom Title
    I like he said, "the proudest moments of my life have been representing the United States in the last two Winter Olympics". I thought he would have said winning the OGM.

Custom Title
    You can't train at his age the way you did when you were younger. He seems to finally realize that, but it is too late as far as the Olympics go. It seems amazing though that Frank and others, including his doctors, could not make him understand that before injuries started occurring . I guess it was too ingrained in his personality.

Custom Title
    Well, not surprised. It's better this way. He has finally accepted the fact that his body is no longer capable of handling the high level trainings anymore. What is his plan for the future?

Custom Title
    I don´t think that anyone is really surprised of the news, especially as we have read about Lysacek´s injuries. Bad luck for him, but one has to do what the doctor says... Besides, he can be very proud of his skating achievements, he has won every major title and also his freeskate at Torino Olympics was impressive.

I will miss his skating at the Olympics!!!

‏@USFigureSkating is tweeting quotes from Lysacek's media call today, such as:

"The decision was made at the end of last week. I was set to compete in the Ukraine next week." @EvanLysacek
    10:10 AM - 10 Dec 13
    https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/...71521744740352

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Excerpt from US Figure Skating's official announcement (emphasis added):

INJURY ENDS LYSACEK'S GOAL OF DEFENDING OLYMPIC TITLE IN SOCHI

(12/10/13) - Evan Lysacek, the reigning Olympic champion, announced today that a hip injury will prevent him from defending his title at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Lysacek, 28, tore the labrum in his left hip in August. Despite aggressive treatment and physical therapy, the injury became more painful in the past month. Heeding his physician's advice that he is at risk of permanent damage, Lysacek will refrain from skating until the injury is completely healed, which could be several months.

"Words cannot describe how disappointed I am to not be able to compete in Sochi," Lysacek said. "The proudest moments of my life have been representing the United States in the last two Winter Olympics. I have suffered numerous injuries over the course of my skating career and they are some of the hardest things an athlete has to overcome. While none of my past injuries have sidelined me quite like this one, I remain determined to regain my health and skate again
    ."

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49799&type=media

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA:

@JohnnyGWeir
    Very proud of a great champion, @EvanLysacek and his graceful bow-out of the Sochi Olympics this morning on @TODAYshow.
    5:39 AM - 10 Dec 13
    https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/stat...03395204571136
    Thank you for all the info you are sharing, golden411! It's very much appreciated, really. What Evan said about injuries - "they are some of the hardest things an athlete has to overcome" - really reminded me of what Plushy said in one of those Eurosport interviews: "If you have a dream and if you have a idea, why you doing this, it's not hard. Hard is one thing - one point - when you surgery, when you injury. That's hard." Again, I hope the best for Evan, and that he can achieve his goal of taking the ice again. It doesn't really matter if he is what we would deem "successful" or not; the most important thing is for himself and what he wants to achieve. So, good luck, Evan!

Custom Title
    I suppose this moment was inevitable, but it's still too bad, and I sympathize with Evan. He did his job in 2010, though, and that's not something that time or injury can take away.

Rinkside
    I personally think that this was the best for Evan, he could not have competed with all the new and young talent, and he would have had a very hard time in socchi. I wish he would have retired after he won the last olympics, because honestly i cannot see him coming anywhere near Chan or Hanyu

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast